Who has the best TGF team?

Brick

Astros optioned RHP Ken Giles to Triple-A Fresno.

:laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh :laugh

The Houston Astros announced Wednesday that they have optioned reliever Ken Giles to Triple-A one day after he hurled an expletive at manager A.J. Hinch after being pulled from a game.

Lol told Hinch to fuck himself. The Astros somehow destroyed ken Giles career. Very weird stuff.

Zimm gives up 2 strike 2 out homer in 7th fo lose the game. Jfc.

However, after spending just under six weeks on the DL, Zimmermann returned and immediately continued the hot stretch he’d started before he went down. Check out what he’s now done in his last six starts (two before the injury, four since):

• 37 IP, 1.22 ERA, 0.70 WHIP, 8.3 K/9, 1.2 BB/9, 0.2 HR/9

On the one hand, it’s only a six-start sample. On the other hand, Zimmermann hadn’t strung together six strong starts in a row since his first six starts in a Tiger uniform to begin 2016. When I dove into the underlying stats supporting Zimmermann’s surprising resurgence, I found myself believing in him enough to pick him up in a 12-team mixed league. Let’s see if you agree that he’s worth a shot.

In his post-game interview after Friday’s brilliant performance (8 IP, 1 ER, 4 H, 0 BB, 11 K) against the Rangers — arguably his best start since 2014 — Zimmermann made a comment that I found quite interesting:

“The slider’s the best it’s ever been. The fastball has been down a few miles per hour, but I still have other weapons I can go to.”

It’s important to note that Zimmermann is still “only” 32 years old, and while he’s lost a little bit of velocity over the years — he averaged 93.9 mph at his peak in 2012-2013, and today sits at 91.2 mph — it’s not like he’s Felix Hernandez, another 32-year-old righty who has lost nearly 7 mph of velo since his peak. So, yes, the fastball is down a bit, but Zimmermann was never all that reliant on blowing hitters away to begin with.

The reason I found Zimmermann’s quote from Friday so intriguing is that the slider has always been his best pitch. Even when he was sitting comfortably at 94 mph and dialing up 96 mph at times, Zimm’s best weapon was his slider. So, for him to be saying today that he’s never thrown it this well before is a pretty significant statement.

Digging into his data a bit further, I found a relatively simple explanation for why he’s been so good this year: His slider is as effective as it’s ever been, and he’s throwing it far more frequently than ever before. Zimmermann’s throwing his slider 34.9% of the time this year, which is a major departure from last year when he threw just 24.3% sliders. It’s also way beyond his career average of 22.5% sliders. In fact, only six qualified pitchers in baseball this year are throwing sliders more frequently than Zimmermann is, and only one of them (Luis Severino, 2.74 wSL/C) is throwing them more effectively than Zimm (2.20 wSL/C).

ooooo la la Zimmmmm is back!

Nice 1 step guy

J. Zimmermann 
SP
   105 PC, 6.2 INN, 11 HA, BBI, 5 K, 4 ER, L 0.67