Kinger this is how you make sausage and peppers

Yanks

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But it was (and still is in many places) common in Italian immigrant communities. My gandparents called it gravy (in their broken English). My parents called it gravy. I call it alternately gravy and sauce. My kids call it sauce (although I rap their knuckels when they do :) ).

Pasta is actually an Italian word. It means the dough from which macaroni is made. At least that's how I always heard it used when growing up. Today, it seems the term is used interchangeably.

Interestingly, the term 'macaroni' goes back to Marco Polo's days. In Italy (actually, in what is now southern Italy, the country not being a country back then) the peasants (paisanos) were called 'mangiafoglie' ... 'leaf eaters'. When macaroni was introduced, it quickly became a staple of their diet and they were called 'mangiamacherroni'.

So the term has been of long standing and the product is known by that name, still today.

As to the entymology of 'gravy' ..... ? Beats me! :shrug: One thing is for sure ... its an American term, not Italian.

Here's another term that was in common usage among Italian immigrants ...... 'bacouse'. I have NO idea if that's how to spell it cuz I never saw it written ... only heard it spoken. The word is BAH-kowz ...... a corruption of the term 'back house' ...... or as we commonly know it ..... outhouse. :) Both my grandparents still had them standing when I was aware of the world, although indoor plumbing had long been a part of their lives. The holes had long been filled, and the floor patched. They served, in both cases, as garden sheds. One of them still had a moon cut out in the door! But to the day they died, they never went to the bathroom, unless to take a bath. When they had to use the toilet, they had to 'go to the bacouse'. I can still hear my grandmother speaking to me as I was standing there, all of three years old, holding my crotch and dancing ...... 'Michele, you gotta go to da bacouse?'

Gravy's the same sort of story. :)

But it was (and still is in many places) common in Italian immigrant communities. My gandparents called it gravy (in their broken English). My parents called it gravy. I call it alternately gravy and sauce. My kids call it sauce (although I rap their knuckels when they do :) ).

Pasta is actually an Italian word. It means the dough from which macaroni is made. At least that's how I always heard it used when growing up. Today, it seems the term is used interchangeably.

Interestingly, the term 'macaroni' goes back to Marco Polo's days. In Italy (actually, in what is now southern Italy, the country not being a country back then) the peasants (paisanos) were called 'mangiafoglie' ... 'leaf eaters'. When macaroni was introduced, it quickly became a staple of their diet and they were called 'mangiamacherroni'.

So the term has been of long standing and the product is known by that name, still today.

As to the entymology of 'gravy' ..... ? Beats me! :shrug: One thing is for sure ... its an American term, not Italian.

Here's another term that was in common usage among Italian immigrants ...... 'bacouse'. I have NO idea if that's how to spell it cuz I never saw it written ... only heard it spoken. The word is BAH-kowz ...... a corruption of the term 'back house' ...... or as we commonly know it ..... outhouse. :) Both my grandparents still had them standing when I was aware of the world, although indoor plumbing had long been a part of their lives. The holes had long been filled, and the floor patched. They served, in both cases, as garden sheds. One of them still had a moon cut out in the door! But to the day they died, they never went to the bathroom, unless to take a bath. When they had to use the toilet, they had to 'go to the bacouse'. I can still hear my grandmother speaking to me as I was standing there, all of three years old, holding my crotch and dancing ...... 'Michele, you gotta go to da bacouse?'

Gravy's the same sort of story. :)

balco's name is michele?

i am full blooded italian and never heard anyone call pasta sauce "gravy"

mrs milwaukee only likes sausages and peppers that look like dicks

balco's name is michele?

i am full blooded italian and never heard anyone call pasta sauce "gravy"

mrs milwaukee only likes sausages and peppers that look like dicks

http://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/picture/ashley1234/P6150030.JPG

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/grrr664/peppers.jpg

She can eat my sausage anytime

Here is a history lesson

Sauce with meat is called Ragu in Italy. Sauce without meat is called Sauce

When the first italians came here to fit in in with Americane who already were making gravy for their fucking turkey let them understand it was sauce with meat in it so they called it gravy as well.

Fake italians call it gravy. That is just fact