Question about odds

GradyFuson

Guest ChrisHarvard

Hello Grady. Let me give you a nickel's worth of free advice.

Avoid parlays, teasers, props etc that most books like to promote (it increases their own profit margins, of course). If you like the Broncos to cover the spread on a particular day, and the Bears and Falcons as well, bet them all individually.

If you win all three, that's great, but winning two of three is much more likely than sweeping the card. And two out of three produces a profit.

Even winning just one of the three bets is not a disastrous result. Sure, it's not a winning day, but for the three bets you made, at least you got a return on one of them. When you get into the habit of parlays and teasers, there's no result possible except winning all three bets that will allow you to get any return on your investment at all.

Grady, read more here: http://bettingresource.com/sports-betting-money-management.html

If I could bet them individually I would but I'm doing it on a parlay card that doesn't change throughout the week.

Thanks though Chris... I was 3 for 3 last weekend (3 different 3 team parlays on CFB), I reckon I'll give it a shot next weekend as well, can't wait till Friday to put the new bets in :)

Guest ChrisHarvard
Thanks Chris... I was 3 for 3 last weekend (3 different 3 team parlays on CFB)' date=' I reckon I'll give it a shot next weekend as well... Can let you know how I do if you want.[/quote']

Grady I wish you the best.

I would caution you however, week in and week out, you won't go 3-0 for 1.000.

2 out of 3 is still a profit, that was my point. And profit is what's going to keep you in the game. If you "go for broke" (parlays) you're going to wind up just that.

We are a tight community here and we all want to come together and beat the lines. If you have some picks for Saturday, post em'. Let's see what ya got :btj

Yeah, it makes no sense to make blanket statements like parlays or teasers are worse than straight bets. It's all calculation. Most of the time, parlay cards are worse, though, sure. And almost always, the longer the string, the worse it is (5x parlays are more -EV than 4x; 6x more -EV than 5x, 10 pt teasers more -EV than 7 points teasers, etc).

But it is all math. The value of a stale number can overcome the cost of the lowered payout.

Yeah, it makes no sense to make blanket statements like parlays or teasers are worse than straight bets. It's all calculation. Most of the time, parlay cards are worse, though, sure. And almost always, the longer the string, the worse it is (5x parlays are more -EV than 4x; 6x more -EV than 5x, 10 pt teasers more -EV than 7 points teasers, etc).

But it is all math. The value of a stale number can overcome the cost of the lowered payout.

Ditto

If anyone can correct me on this go ahead.

I believe that for every game you add to a parlay your payout should double if there is any chance of there being EV

So in my example a 4 teamer seems to be the better option because the payout is +900 which is more than double the 3 teamer of +400.

Thoughts?

P.S. This card has very nice and very stale numbers (not in Vegas sorry fellas)

Grady on these parlay cards are all the NFL games mostly lined at 3 or 7? Do pushes lose?

No, I believe the lines were sharpish on Tuesday. I didn't bother with the nfl games just the cfb games that had moved significantly. Also ties loose so pretty tough to beat. I'm gonna try again this weekend.

I seriously doubt anyone out there can get these numbers because they are so stale, but here's what I'm putting in this week:

All 4-teamers at +900

Toledo 7, Califonia -1, Llouisville 14, Florida Int 13

Toledo 7, Califonia -1, Llouisville 14, Duke 7

Toledo 7, Califonia -1, Florida Int 13, Duke 7

Louisville 14, Florida Int 13, Duke 7, Indiana 7