Any NFL Teams That Could Make Playoffs That Didn't Last Season?

Mike75

I think the Pittsburgh Steelers could make a jump this season with new players on D like the just drafted Ryan Shazier and the speedy Dri Archer on offense i think these guys will be back in the playoff hunt.

Another team i think that could make a jump would be the Tampa Bay Bucs with Lovie Smith who will have that defense top ten with Gerald McCoy and Lavonte David along with ball hawk Alterraun Verner who i hated losing from Tennessee he is very underrated. The Tampa offense could be really good as well with Vincent Jackson,Doug Martin,Mike Evans and QB Mike Glennon who did pretty good as a rookie.

I think Gregg Williams will have the St. Louis Rams playing great defense and they have some good players on offense as well. Zac Stacy was a steal of a RB in the fifth round for them.

Arizona and the way Bruce Arians has them playing top ten defense along with having playmakers on offense including Ellington he is going to be very good.

Chicago has the best one-two WR punch in football and a damn good offense. If the Bears can get the defense playing better with Jared Allen i think they have a shot.

I want to say Tennesee i think they are still a year off and need to add some more playmakers on defense but they are headed the right direction. Whisenhunt already has them playing much better on offense and they have some young playmakers like WR's Justin Hunter and Kendall Wright. Jake Locker was 3-1 last season and in the top five QB rating with no interceptions before getting hurt last season. I've seen him playing well this preseason and also Zach Mettenberger has looked good at QB throwing a 64 yard TD pass to Justin Hunter and also a 40 yard deep pass as well in the first game. In the last game against New Orleans Mettenberger completed 20 of 25 passes for 270 yards with 2 TD's and 1 INT that was bobbled by the WR so it wasn't really the QB's fault. If Locker doesn't make it here i think Mettenberger will be the next in line. With the passing of Bud Adams the team has also gotten rid of Mike Munchak and the team as a whole finally seems to be headed in the right direction. Their last winning season was 9-7 in 2011 and they haven't made the postseason since having the league's best record of 13-3 in 2008. With Whisenhunt running the offense and Ray Horton coming in to run the defense i think they have a good shot at turning things around.

Niners will be alright once the regular season starts. They have a great defense that will keep them playoff caliber and their offense will be good with rookie RB Hyde and the deep WR core that includes Stevie Johnson aquired from Buffalo. The backup QB's are horrible for the niners. Harbaugh needs to let Gabbert go he is a horrible backup. I do think Alex Smith would be doing big things for the niners if he were still there. Kaepernick is still learning the game and not a great pocket QB but he is very mobile.

Blake Bortles,Jimmy Garoppolo and Zach Mettenberger are the top three rookie QB's so far this preseason according to PFF. Mettenberger completing 20 of 25 passes for nearly 300 yards Friday night and really impressed me. Mettenberger played in a pro style offense in one of the toughest conferences in college football. They said he had really good accuracy and could stand tall in the face of a pass rush coming out of college. Mettenberger was projected to come out of the draft in the second round but off the field concerns and a torn ACL dropped him all the way to the sixth round so Tennessee got a steal getting a QB with second round talent near the end of the draft. In my opinion i think the day will come sooner rather than later where Mettenberger will take the job from Locker. Also as much as i dislike Jacksonville i think Blake Bortles is the real deal and is going to be a good QB for them. Garoppolo is going to be Brady's backup so Ryan Mallett will most likely be cut. I think Garoppolo will be good someday he went to the same college as Tony Romo and broke a lot of his records including throwing 50 TD's this year for Eastern Illinois.