Johnny Football showing how weak-minded he is...

KingRevolver

This kid can either be Joe Namath or Ryan Leaf...

...I'm thinking Leaf.

You're absolutely right. The best he can be is Joe Namath.

A guy with 173 career TDs and 220 Interceptions...

A 62-63 record...

A 50.1% career completion percentage...

A 65.5 career QBR...

Joe Namath is the most overrated NFL player of all-time.

Coach Taylor he would be the toughest QB in the league today. Joe played in the NFL when they played real football. Now the NFL is glorified two-hand touch. One possibility why his numbers aren't that good by "today's standards" is because he was getting his brains bashed in every game. If defenses today played the way defenses played against Joe back I the day they would get lifetime bans from the league. I just do not think it is fair to compare a QB from 40-50 years ago to today's players.

Coach Taylor he would be the toughest QB in the league today. Joe played in the NFL when they played real football. Now the NFL is glorified two-hand touch. One possibility why his numbers aren't that good by "today's standards" is because he was getting his brains bashed in every game. If defenses today played the way defenses played against Joe back I the day they would get lifetime bans from the league. I just do not think it is fair to compare a QB from 40-50 years ago to today's players.

Completely disagree.

Take a look at QB numbers from the same era.

Joe Namath

173 TDs

220 Ints

50.1% completion rate

65.5 QBR

Bart Starr

152 TDs

138 Ints

57.4% completion rate

80.5 QBR

Len Dawson

239 TDs

183 Ints

57.1% completion rate

82.6 QBR

Johnny Unitas

290 TDs

253 Ints

54.6 % completion rate

78.2 QBR

Sonny Jurgensen

255 TDs

189 Ints

57.1% completion rate

82.6 QBR

Joe Namath's numbers are absolutely laughable. He was not a good QB under any circumstance. ESPN has pounded it into our brains that because of what he did in Super Bowl 3, he was an all-time great. He is the worst induction into the Football Hall of Fame. His QBR was 15 points below what the good QBs of his era accomplished. He threw almost 40 more INTS than TDS and only completed half of his passes. On Football Reference.com his career player similarity ranks include such greats as Mark Bulger, Jake Plummer, Joe Theismann, Jim Everett, and Steve Grogan.

When healthy which wasn't much of his career, he was a top QB and certainly his persona and the SB win helped get him in the HOF but to say he was a below average QB is ridiculous. Played when the game was a much tougher on passing teams and not many QBs from that era had great td to int ratios. Had a cannon for an arm and knack for making big plays.

Played when the game was a much tougher on passing teams and not many QBs from that era had great td to int ratios.

Completely disagree.

Take a look at QB numbers from the same era.

Joe Namath

173 TDs

220 Ints

50.1% completion rate

65.5 QBR

Bart Starr

152 TDs

138 Ints

57.4% completion rate

80.5 QBR

Len Dawson

239 TDs

183 Ints

57.1% completion rate

82.6 QBR

Johnny Unitas

290 TDs

253 Ints

54.6 % completion rate

78.2 QBR

Sonny Jurgensen

255 TDs

189 Ints

57.1% completion rate

82.6 QBR

You're absolutely right. The best he can be is Joe Namath.

A guy with 173 career TDs and 220 Interceptions...

A 62-63 record...

A 50.1% career completion percentage...

A 65.5 career QBR...

Joe Namath is the most overrated NFL player of all-time.

Well, actually I was talking about Namath's bad boy image.

But, CT, since you've gone on tilt on this, Namath played his entire career on bad legs and still had a defining career. He was critically hurt at Alabama and signed while never telling anyone how bad of shape he was in. In spite of this the was essentially the player who showed the old AFL was the equal of the NFL by beating the Colts in SB III who were consider one of the teams of the decade. Remember, in SB I & II the AFL teams were pretty sad. Namath took advantage of the Colts taking the Jets lightly by audiblizing at the line and superior game management, and the game really was never in doubt. Remember, the line on this game was 17+ and the Jets made the best team in the NFL look bad. If you don't believe it, go look at the old game tapes.

Right, his numbers aren't that good. But, he personally won perhaps the most important game that any old AFL team ever played up to that point. And, unlike those HS teams you coached in Texas, he didn't just bearly win in the last few minutes, he made them look bad. That game cemented the AFL/NFL merger. After that, the shit talking about the "inferior" league stopped.

Read some history CT.

BTW, you guys going to get a Friday Night Lights movie going or not?

Coach Taylor is a sharp poster. I enjoyed reading his posts across the street. But on this one he is just off base, plain and simple. Not one NFL QB playing the game today would last one half, let alone an entire season or career, playing football the way it was allowed to be played 45 years ago...

Coach Taylor is a sharp poster. I enjoyed reading his posts across the street. But on this one he is just off base' date=' plain and simple. Not one NFL QB playing the game today would last one half, let alone an entire season or career, playing football the way it was allowed to be played 45 years ago...[/quote'] I guess we will have to agree to disagree. But you can't tell me guys like Roethlisberger, Brady, Rodgers couldn't play back then. They are tough players and have superior football minds. They could play whenever and complete more than half of their passes. My opinion at least.