Johnny Football showing how weak-minded he is...

KingRevolver

Coach Taylor is a sharp poster. I enjoyed reading his posts across the street. But on this one he is just off base' date=' plain and simple. Not one NFL QB playing the game today would last one half, let alone an entire season or career, playing football the way it was allowed to be played 45 years ago...[/quote']

I know he has a good rep, saw his posts over at EOG.

He's still a young coach that wasn't around when they played football based on the run vs "Air Coryall", "West Coast", etc these days.

But he'll watch some game tape on SB III and come back a better coach.

Based on Namath's numbers, compared to other great QB's in his day, he isnt even close. Classic case of his legend being much bigger than his actual results.

Now does he deserve to be in the Hall of Fame based on his contribution to the game? Namely his guarantee and backing it up in the Super Bowl.

Thats debatable.

Based on Namath's numbers, compared to other great QB's in his day, he isnt even close. Classic case of his legend being much bigger than his actual results.

Now does he deserve to be in the Hall of Fame based on his contribution to the game? Namely his guarantee and backing it up in the Super Bowl.

Thats debatable.

Dude, you weren't there. Go talk to some of the old guys. Namath was massive. The entire world was abuzz when he did something. Like shaving his legs for that panty hose commercial.

No doubt, the Hall of Fame is got a lot of stupid stuff, but Namath is not one of them. The combined NFL is just about due to him. The bonus wars of the 60s that he was a part of helped drive the leagues together. Re: the Hall: Ray Guy getting in this year for example is SHAMEFUL. His impact on the sport was/is MASSIVE and now his numbers look puny too.

If you want to bitch about something, go bitch about that.

Dude, you weren't there. Go talk to some of the old guys. Namath was massive. The entire world was abuzz when he did something. Like shaving his legs for that panty hose commercial.

Dude, you werent there. Nor did you read my post very well.

Im not arguing that he shouldnt be in the Hall of Fame. Im just saying his results on the field over time are nowhere near that of the other great QB's that played in his day.

I said him being a true HOFer is debatable. Which means good arguments could be made for and against. Both of those arguments have been made, and made well in this thread.

There is no doubt Joe Namath was a HUGE star back in the day. But his star reached much further than the football field. The guy was in an episode of the Brady Bunch for Christ's sake. He was an icon. That mixed with his Super Bowl guarantee and win, is why is is in the HOF. He's not in there based on his numbers.

Completely disagree. Take a look at QB numbers from the same era. Joe Namath 173 TDs 220 Ints 50.1% completion rate 65.5 QBR Bart Starr 152 TDs 138 Ints 57.4% completion rate 80.5 QBR Len Dawson 239 TDs 183 Ints 57.1% completion rate 82.6 QBR Johnny Unitas 290 TDs 253 Ints 54.6 % completion rate 78.2 QBR Sonny Jurgensen 255 TDs 189 Ints 57.1% completion rate 82.6 QBR Joe Namath's numbers are absolutely laughable. He was not a good QB under any circumstance. ESPN has pounded it into our brains that because of what he did in Super Bowl 3' date=' he was an all-time great. He is the worst induction into the Football Hall of Fame. His QBR was 15 points below what the good QBs of his era accomplished. He threw almost 40 more INTS than TDS and only completed half of his passes. On Football Reference.com his career player similarity ranks include such greats as Mark Bulger, Jake Plummer, Joe Theismann, Jim Everett, and Steve Grogan. [/quote'] Hey coach, I am not saying he was the greatest, or even HOF worthy, I don't know enough about his career. You states he would be a third string QB or even a CFL QB. Then say compare him to others in his era, the problem is you certainly picked some strong "others " . It would be like me saying RG3 is no good, look at him compared of Peyton manning Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers.

James,

I was trying to show a comparison between him and the best QBs of his era. He does not fit in there. Actually, he is significantly worse. He is not close to any of them in any important statistical category. Yes, I know the effect he's had on football and deserves to be in the Hall for that, but as Diabler said, he is not there because of his numbers. Here are some of his contemporaries that compare well with Joe Willy.

Joe Namath

173 TDs

220 Ints

50.1% completion rate

65.5 QBR

John Hadl

244 TDs

268 Ints

50.4% completion rate

67.4 QBR

Charley Johnson

170 TDs