Opening Night and the World are Fading the Spurs

maron

The Mavs visit the Spurs to open up the regular season. Opening line of + 7 1/2 has gone to the 3's in places. Normally this would be fine but the movement here is wrong...here is why.

1. Mavs have six new players...One Chandler returns while another Chandler (Parsons) joins the team. Jameer Nelson and three others hightlight the influx of talent. They have to start weening Dirks minutes this year. I do not care how much pre season they have had, this team will need some time to get to know all of their dynamics.

Spurs will certainly test out Leonard some more to see how high he can go. The rookie Anderson should get minutes tonight.

Still opening night and the Champs will not phone it in tonight.

I am not a Spurs fan at all but can not see why the Dallas love is so much on opening night.

[TABLE=class: statistics_table, border: 0, cellpadding: 0, cellspacing: 0, width: 1, height: 18]

[TR]

[TD=class: statistics_table_header, colspan: 10]San Antonio[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

Date Pos Player Injury Status [/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: otherStatistics_table_alternateRow statistics_cellrightborder]10/28/14[/TD]

[TD=class: otherStatistics_table_alternateRow statistics_cellrightborder, align: center]F[/TD]

[TD=class: otherStatistics_table_alternateRow statistics_cellrightborder]Kawhi Leonard[/TD]

[TD=class: otherStatistics_table_alternateRow statistics_cellrightborder]Eye[/TD]

[TD=class: otherStatistics_table_alternateRow statistics_cellrightborder]expected to miss Tuesday vs. Dallas[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: statistics_table_row statistics_cellrightborder]10/24/14[/TD]

[TD=class: statistics_table_row statistics_cellrightborder, align: center]G[/TD]

[TD=class: statistics_table_row statistics_cellrightborder]Patrick Mills[/TD]

[TD=class: statistics_table_row statistics_cellrightborder]Shoulder[/TD]

[TD=class: statistics_table_row statistics_cellrightborder]out indefinitely[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: otherStatistics_table_alternateRow statistics_cellrightborder]10/23/14[/TD]

[TD=class: otherStatistics_table_alternateRow statistics_cellrightborder, align: center]C[/TD]

[TD=class: otherStatistics_table_alternateRow statistics_cellrightborder]Tiago Splitter[/TD]

[TD=class: otherStatistics_table_alternateRow statistics_cellrightborder]Calf[/TD]

[TD=class: otherStatistics_table_alternateRow statistics_cellrightborder]out indefinitely[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: statistics_table_bodernone, colspan: 10] [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Most of the line movement has been because Kawhi's eye injury (infection) is taking longer than expeceted. He was supposed to be back for this game but they released yesterday that he wouldn't be playing. Splitter was already expected to be out and Mills will be back in late January? So those two injuries are unlikely to be byproducts of the movement.

I just think the rest of the movement is reflective of how Dallas has improved their roster even if they did lose all 4 games in the regular season last year against the Spurs. Chandler gives them interior defense and Parsons will be an upgrade over Vince Carter. Jameer Nelson is a bit of a wash replacing Jose Calderon. His stats have been declining but whether it's because he was playing with bad teams in the Jacques Vaughn system or it's just clearly his age related decline, we'll soon see. Aminu brings them some much needed rebounding. Spurs will probably have a championship hangover too which is natural considering their whole storyline these last 2 years. I've no bet on the game personally though unless I can find something offmarket enough which I haven't so far.

Most of the line movement has been because Kawhi's eye injury (infection) is taking longer than expeceted. He was supposed to be back for this game but they released yesterday that he wouldn't be playing. Splitter was already expected to be out and Mills will be back in late January? So those two injuries are unlikely to be byproducts of the movement.

I just think the rest of the movement is reflective of how Dallas has improved their roster even if they did lose all 4 games in the regular season last year against the Spurs. Chandler gives them interior defense and Parsons will be an upgrade over Vince Carter. Jameer Nelson is a bit of a wash replacing Jose Calderon. His stats have been declining but whether it's because he was playing with bad teams in the Jacques Vaughn system or it's just clearly his age related decline, we'll soon see. Aminu brings them some much needed rebounding. Spurs will probably have a championship hangover too which is natural considering their whole storyline these last 2 years. I've no bet on the game personally though unless I can find something offmarket enough which I haven't so far.

I do agree with you and I like the roster moves that Dallas made. I could not for the life of me see this big of a line move without them having time to gel. The eye of Leonard still having problems would do it. Nou use risking him for just one game.

Knowing the Spurs they will win by 20+ just because...

I will lay off and go with the Lakers - Rockets game then