Freaks and Tech Geeks, a San Francisco Story

LCD

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A growing number of snowflake millennials are saying they can no longer stand to live in the preeminent American 'safe space' of San Francisco because the "rent is too damn high", the traffic is too damn congested and, well, President Trump. According to a new poll conducted by the Bay Area Council, 40% of all people living in San Francisco say they're ready to ditch the city for greener pastures while the number is even higher among millennials at 46%.

A growing number of Bay Area residents, led by millennials (18-39), are looking to greener (or less expensive) pastures as the region’s housing and traffic crises combined with an astronomical cost of living take their toll, according to results of the 2017 Bay Area Council Poll released today. The poll found that 40 percent of respondents are considering leaving the Bay Area in the next few years, with millennials leading the way at 46 percent, along with those who spend the biggest share of their income on housing.

“Losing our youth is a very bad economic and social strategy,” said Jim Wunderman, President and CEO of the Bay Area Council. “But until we get serious about building the housing we need we’re going to continue seeing our region drained of the young and diverse talent that has helped make the Bay Area an economic powerhouse. We know what the solutions are – streamline local approval and reduce fees and regulatory costs – we just need the political will here and in Sacramento to make them happen. It can be done, it must be done and we’re working now to get it done.”

Meanwhile, the number of people saying they're looking to ditch the city jumped 6 points versus 2016.

Of course, housing and traffic were the most cited reasons that people were looking leave San Fran. But, in a rather surprising new addition to the list of complaints, President Trump also showed up as a key threat to life in the Bay Area. Perhaps, the snowflakes of California's northern shores aren't aware that even if they move elsewhere in the country that President Trump would still be their president?

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-04-02/46-millennials-san-fran-ready-move-out-blame-housing-traffic-trump

Agenda 21

I pay that now for a 3000 sq ft home. It's still insane.

Not when you factor in the panic room, the water purification system that will let you drink urine(!), the storage area for 50,000 MREs, the armory, the hydroponics area and the reinforced, lead-lined concrete living quarters and dog run that will let you and the family survive North Korean nukes!

• 3 weeks later...

Watching a story on the local news about the Bay Area right now. Saying any income below $105,000 a year right now is considered low income in San Francisco and the counties directly to the north and south.

That is insane.

Correct. Yet copstradumbass thinks the place he lives is the richest county in the nation!!!! There's countless cities including the one I live where the median home price is well over $1m. Meaning almost impossible to find anything below $500k. You can't afford a $500k home on only $105k per year. Especially since that's a family of 4.

Honestly surprised this stuff doesn't happen more. I try to avoid Bart unless I'm going to the Warriors game, but I rode Caltrans every day for 2 years both north to the SF and south to Palo Alto and other than one time where some punk kids were smoking weed and mouthing off to people , never saw anything really happen. Maybe a drunk guy thrown off?

I often thought to myself it'd make sense for a criminal to jump on, rob one car of people, and jump right off. Many stops are short enough it'd work.

Plus there are no guards or anything and in the morning and night it's all business types with laptops. Easy come up.

The difference between SF and NY is if kids did this in NY they would get swarmed. Bart police are terrible.  If anything happens on a Bart train, they stop traffic in both directions and wait for the police to dawdle on over.  In NYC they get you, drag your ass off the train and everything keeps moving. The robbery happened at Coliseum station.  They're going to catch some of them.

• 3 months later...

I had to move to a new apartment this weekend because my house is gonna get flipped. $100,000 anywhere else but after the additional rooms and bathrooms get added it will go for about $1.2 and the purchaser will probably be a Chinese national paying in cash.

So I start moving my stuff to my new apartment in southern Mission (SF Mexi town) and there's a mining rig in the hallway leading to my apartment just grinding away. Supposedly more to come.

• 1 month later...