Gunman killed after shooting 3 at FSU

Deal With It

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/20/us/fsu-incident/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -- Florida State University police fatally shot a gunman at the campus library early Thursday in a shooting that left three others wounded as hundreds studying inside the library fled or took cover in panic.

Officers confronted the gunman and ordered him to drop his weapon, but he fired one shot at them and they unleashed a volley of shots, Tallahassee Police spokesman Dave Northway said.

It was not immediately known if the wounded were shot by the suspected gunman.

Northway said authorities did not believe there were any other threats related to the incident. The lockdown was later lifted and the school said on its verified Twitter account that the area was secure.

Strozier Library, a multistory building at the center of the Tallahassee campus, remained roped off with police tape hours after the shooting.

John Ehab, a sophomore from Tampa, said he was on the library's third floor when he heard multiple gunshots.

"Everyone heard them," he said. People took cover in the book aisles to hide from the gunman in case he came onto the floor, Ehab said.

Allison Kope, a freshman from Cocoa Beach, said she was on the library's first floor when said she heard a loud noise and then there was a lot of commotion. She said people were screaming about a gunman and chairs started flipping over.

"You never think something like this is going to happen to you until you have to react in that situation when someone is screaming there is a gun in the building. I ran for my life," she said. "I ran right out the backdoor. My laptop and everything is still in there. It was shock. It was just instinct. You don't think about anything else, you just go."

Freshman Nikolai Hernandez said he was in his dorm room across from the library when he heard five or six rapid gunshots.

"It was a consecutive bop, bop, bop, bop, bop," Hernandez said. "It makes me definitely a little bit nervous. I was supposed to be in the library. I had a paper to do and I got a little bit lazy and decided not to do it."

He said he has friends still locked inside the library two hours after the shooting.

A campus telephone alert urged people to take shelter in a nearby building and stay away from doors and windows.

Florida State President John Thrasher, who took office earlier this month, said by phone that he was in New York City and had no first-hand information. He said he was making arrangements to hurry back to Tallahassee.

University officials said classes would still be held Thursday but that students who were in the library would not be required to attend.

In a sign campus life was returning to a semblance of normalcy, workers at a doughnut shop near the library had begun cooking doughnuts for the morning rush, the smell wafting over the scene.

Imagine receiving a text that said: "Seek shelter immediately, away from doors and windows."

Unless you heard the shots fired, you would have no idea what the situation was. The weather was good. Seems to me, this text would create a lot of confusion.

The shooting started shortly after midnight either inside or near the library at the school in Tallahassee. The library is open 24 hours.

"The library was packed," said Mary Coburn, the vice president of student affairs.

The school sent out a text to students, warning them to take refuge and stay away from windows.

"FSU alert dangerous situation main campus-Tallahassee," it read. "Seek shelter immediately, away from doors and windows."

Students shoved tables and book shelves against doors to barricade themselves.

Imagine receiving a text that said: "Seek shelter immediately' date=' away from doors and windows."[/b']

Unless you heard the shots fired, you would have no idea what the situation was. The weather was good. Seems to me, this text would create a lot of confusion.

The shooting started shortly after midnight either inside or near the library at the school in Tallahassee. The library is open 24 hours.

"The library was packed," said Mary Coburn, the vice president of student affairs.

The school sent out a text to students, warning them to take refuge and stay away from windows.

"FSU alert dangerous situation main campus-Tallahassee," it read. "Seek shelter immediately, away from doors and windows."

Students shoved tables and book shelves against doors to barricade themselves.

From WCTV comments section:

Charisa Powell • 4 hours ago I am a current student at FSU right now. Two confirmed victims sent to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital. The one shooter has been captured. Cops everywhere. FSU has done a terrible job of informing students of the situation--thank goodness for social media.

•

•

Share ›

• Mark Wool Charisa Powell • 4 hours ago Absolutetly right! No information from FSU or TPD other than the initial announce about a "dangerous situation." Frustrating! Getting our info from CNN and Twitter.

•

•

Share ›

[*]

It seems to me that the USPS can intercept these packages well before they reach the recipients mail box. :scratch

The gunman who was shot dead after he opened fire at Florida State University was apparently planning his end during the day before the attack.

Myron May, who was identified by police as the FSU alum who shot three people outside and in the entrance of the Tallahassee school's library, reportedly sent eight packages to friends on Wednesday just hours before the Thursday rampage.

A friend of the gunman received an unexpected message from May on Wednesday saying that he was sending him a package.

Joe Paul, who attended FSU with May, told ABC affiliate that he was one of eight people on a group message from May, and he doesn't know the seven others.

"We're a little afraid," Paul said. "Why did he chose us?"

In the message, May wrote "I sent the packages today. The expected deliveries are Friday," with pictures of each of the Priority Mail envelopes attached.

"What did he send everyone? Was it a manifesto? Was it a message? I don’t know. I think I’m just as curious as everyone else," Paul said in the WSB-TV interview.

Police have told the recipients not to open the packages once they arrive but to notify law enforcement.