Needed: Floor Tile expert

IAG

Going to put new ceramic tile in small bathroom basement. It's probably 30 ft.². I did talk to Brick, but tile is not his expertise, though he thought I should be able to get it done for $500 or $600 in this area though. My only quote so far is $700 which seems high when I look at this space. I would pay it to get it done, but this guy is not contracted with the tile store, which means it could be a two week wait to get started. I'm probably looking at even more for tile store contractor, but I would like to know what is reasonable.

Toilet and vanity are already removed..

House? anyone?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest ChrisHarvard

ERB is an expert in home renovation and repair.

The only poster here younger than me and he's got a freakin pool table in his living room.

Some guys have all the luck, KFC.

did you mean to write "small basement bathroom....and it's 30 sq ft total.....re approx 4x8 feet?

No. I have a basement in my bathroom. Lol

I did this voice to text and that is how they apparently put 30 ft.². See, it just did it again. Is that not correct?

I think it probably did not pick up my "in" on the former.

I installed the tile in my home and I'm mildly retarded according to the forum. All you need is a tile saw and they're not very expensive.

I am completely inept at handy stuff like that. My dad tried to teach me many things, but tools were not one of them. No chance in hell I try to do this myself.

you can even rent a tile saw

its really easy you just cut the tiles to size and glue them to the floor

crazy that people charge you 700 for such a small area

. What about underlay, transition strips, caulking, all that. Seems like more work than I want to attempt. I cannot emphasize enough my incompetence enough when it comes to home projects.

Now someone did tell me about these vinyl tile things that you can just peel off the back and stick to the floor. I could maybe handle something like that, but I had wanted to go with tile.

Guest ChrisHarvard

My brother used to lay tile (american brother...stateside...where I am from...Virginia)

A dry saw or a wet saw sleepy?

Laying tile is not a simple home repair like hanging drywall.

You must be quite the Tim "the Tool man" Taylor.

I don't think anyone thinks you are inept.

Yes, you cheat on us by posting across the street....SM23 busted you but we forgive you.

$700 is not expensive if it includes the molding or tile pieces to cover the cut edges along the wall.  What are you using for that?  My advice is to not go cheap on the tile itself because the bulk of the cost is the installation.  I would consider porcelain over ceramic as it is nicer and has a better gloss.  What size tiles are you going to use?  You also need to know what you are using for the transition between the bathroom and the room or hallway it attaches to.  Is that included in the price?

. What about underlay, transition strips, caulking, all that. Seems like more work than I want to attempt. I cannot emphasize enough my incompetence enough when it comes to home projects.

Now someone did tell me about these vinyl tile things that you can just peel off the back and stick to the floor. I could maybe handle something like that, but I had wanted to go with tile.

Do not attempt to install this yourself.

I have installed tile in my own house and a few friends'/family houses.  I have sold a couple million dollars worth of it.  It is a lot of work and dirty.  I do own tile tools including a wet saw.  The floor has to be absolutely level.  You can float it level, but it would probably be better to lay down backer board first.

$700 is not expensive if it includes the molding or tile pieces to cover the cut edges along the wall.  What are you using for that?  My advice is to not go cheap on the tile itself because the bulk of the cost is the installation.  I would consider porcelain over ceramic as it is nicer and has a better gloss.  What size tiles are you going to use?  You also need to know what you are using for the transition between the bathroom and the room or hallway it attaches to.  Is that included in the price?

Maybe that's what this is. .porcelain...I have to look again. I don't know the distinction between anything other than stone. Even getting this far is a nightmare. almost brought in a designer, but seems stupid for such a small area. I was going to use 12 x 12 tile. The transition strip is included in the estimate. He did not mention anything about the molding. He has not seen the area and I wondered about that. There is currently linoleum tile down there that is very old. My parents had put carpet over that for some unknown reason. Anyway, there was some sort of plastic/vinyl brown strip around the baseboard area (is that what you call it?) that was taken off when It was painted. Somehow that area will need to be covered up or I guess painted. I don't know why the guy didn't paint to the base anyway. I guess I thought I would be putting that strip back up.

The biggest problem I have is matching the floor tile to the shower tile which I am not red- doing. The upstairs bathrooms will be done with the better/best stuff, but right now I'm just happy to find something that will match up.

I have installed tile in my own house and a few friends'/family houses.  I have sold a couple million dollars worth of it.  It is a lot of work and dirty.  I do own tile tools including a wet saw.  The floor has to be absolutely level.  You can float it level, but it would probably be better to lay down backer board first.

Should the linoleum tiles that are down there now be removed prior to installing the new tile? I thought they would be, but this guy doesn't want to do that. I didn't know if it was for a good reason, or he just didn't want to do the work. If we leave them he said something about there being a half inch step up into the bathroom?

If I hire somebody thru aflooring store furniture store, do they normally do all the prep work like removing and reinstalling the toilet/vanity? They are out of there now from when I painted, but I have no idea how to put them back. Will they do that or will I have to call a handyman /plumber also?

Ok just now got a call from a guy who is going to come actually look at the project...he told me it's better to pull old stuff up which I thought....he seems competent. He is going to come by this evening and give a quote...he also is contracted with the tile store so could get it done more quickly. If there are other questions that I should ask this guy, let me know. I appreciate all the input in here.

Should the linoleum tiles that are down there now be removed prior to installing the new tile? I thought they would be, but this guy doesn't want to do that. I didn't know if it was for a good reason, or he just didn't want to do the work. If we leave them he said something about there being a half inch step up into the bathroom?

unless they are loose and coming up they wont have to remove them.  They will/should install concrete backerboard right over top of it.  Don't let them put cheap vinyl cove base around the edges.  make sure they use the same tile around the edges on the wall but with a nice beveled edge.  The edging is what really makes a nice tile job.  The 1/2 inch step shouldn't be a problem as they have transitions to deal with that.