Needed: Floor Tile expert

IAG

If I hire somebody thru aflooring store furniture store, do they normally do all the prep work like removing and reinstalling the toilet/vanity? They are out of there now from when I painted, but I have no idea how to put them back. Will they do that or will I have to call a handyman /plumber also?

Ok just now got a call from a guy who is going to come actually look at the project...he told me it's better to pull old stuff up which I thought....he seems competent. He is going to come by this evening and give a quote...he also is contracted with the tile store so could get it done more quickly. If there are other questions that I should ask this guy, let me know. I appreciate all the input in here.

yes they will do all the prep work necessary, but they will charge for it.  I charged $25 for toilet removal/install but that was 20 years ago.  They also won't cut your doors, so if the tile + underlayment doesn't allow your door to close you are fucked.  Our guys would do it with an undercut saw, but they charged the homeowner directly for that.  We never wanted to be responsible for doors.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yes they will do all the prep work necessary, but they will charge for it. I charged $25 for toilet removal/install but that was 20 years ago. They also won't cut your doors, so if the tile + underlayment doesn't allow your door to close you are fucked. Our guys would do it with an undercut saw, but they charged the homeowner directly for that. We never wanted to be responsible for doors.

This tile is $4.89. 12x12 at Menard's..not sure if wholesaler will be more or less. ,,I'll have to find the site to see exactly what it is. Great point on the door...I didn't think about that..

I put in all new stainless steel appliances a few months back and the guy at Best Buy told me appliance sizes would match what space I currently have. The appliances fit fine, but the handle on the dishwasher stuck out so far it prevents me from one of my silverware drawers.

It didn't even occur to me that the other dishwasher had a built in handle underneath..so yeah...don't want problem with the door.

unless they are loose and coming up they wont have to remove them.  They will/should install concrete backerboard right over top of it.  Don't let them put cheap vinyl cove base around the edges.  make sure they use the same tile around the edges on the wall but with a nice beveled edge.  The edging is what really makes a nice tile job.  The 1/2 inch step shouldn't be a problem as they have transitions to deal with that.

Well shit...they are not loose or coming up. This second guy acted like they should come out for the most even work. I'll ask him again when he comes. He may have assumed they're coming up or something. Maybe I'll do audio recording and let u guys see if what he says makes sense. I would be easy to take advantage of with stuff like this since I have no clue.

Well shit...they are not loose or coming up. This second guy acted like they should come out for the most even work. I'll ask him again when he comes. He may have assumed they're coming up or something. Maybe I'll do audio recording and let u guys see if what he says makes sense. I would be easy to take advantage of with stuff like this since I have no clue.

is it wood or concrete underneath?  If concrete they can scrape that shit up, but if it is wood, it can sometimes be a bitch to get the tile up without gouging the wood underneath.  Thats why some will just put underlayment right on top of the old tile.

is it wood or concrete underneath?  If concrete they can scrape that shit up, but if it is wood, it can sometimes be a bitch to get the tile up without gouging the wood underneath.  Thats why some will just put underlayment right on top of the old tile.

Concrete

Make a video of the Quote process and tell dude you are posting it to thegamblingforum.com and see if he offers a discount

IAG just did two floors in a rental house and they dont tell you shit.

All of a sudden we were paying for furniture moving,carpet removal,carpet disposal,and a bunch of other things they didnt mention.

Lowes or Home Depot?

Lowes wanted an extra 900 to flatten the floor in my fathers basement for a floating laminate. This was after it was ripped up and the contract was signed. So he was SOL.

I have installed tile in my own house and a few friends'/family houses. I have sold a couple million dollars worth of it. It is a lot of work and dirty. I do own tile tools including a wet saw. The floor has to be absolutely level. You can float it level, but it would probably be better to lay down backer board first.

You don't put backer board on a cement basement floor

Should the linoleum tiles that are down there now be removed prior to installing the new tile? I thought they would be, but this guy doesn't want to do that. I didn't know if it was for a good reason, or he just didn't want to do the work. If we leave them he said something about there being a half inch step up into the bathroom?

Absolutely they need to be removed, you don't ahere new ceramic over old lick em and stick em tile.

Tell that guy to gtfo of your house.

Absolutely they need to be removed, you don't ahere new ceramic over old lick em and stick em tile.

Tell that guy to gtfo of your house.

That was the first guy I called. He did not even see the house. I thought that was weird by itself. Yeah, I think he's out regardless. He wasn't all that friendly on the phone either. I like guy number two. He's the one who told me it would need to be removed. He is coming this afternoon or evening to look at it.

unless they are loose and coming up they wont have to remove them. They will/should install concrete backerboard right over top of it. Don't let them put cheap vinyl cove base around the edges. make sure they use the same tile around the edges on the wall but with a nice beveled edge. The edging is what really makes a nice tile job. The 1/2 inch step shouldn't be a problem as they have transitions to deal with that.

I think you mean bull nose tile.

And backer board is a generic term. It's either cement board or hardy board.

That was the first guy I called. He did not even see the house. I thought that was weird by itself. Yeah, I think he's out regardless. He wasn't all that friendly on the phone either. I like guy number two. He's the one who told me it would need to be removed. He is coming this afternoon or evening to look at it.

What flooring is outside of your bathroom in regards transitions and such.