Predictions from teams rivals.com pages: Cal v Hawaii

Mofome

https://cal.rivals.com

FOOTBALL

22h ago

Prediction Series: Hawaii

Trace Travers | Publisher

T22iqtjimbxge0zfieef

With the Hawaii game 24 hours away, Nam and I put together a few predictions on how the game could go.

Trace's Thoughts:

Hawaii, to put it briefly, is not good. There are some pieces there that are decent, but as a whole, they aren't great. They are working with essentially a new coaching staff, aside from holdover Chris Naeole, a new offense with a quarterback has looked lackluster at best, and a defense that was the 10th worst at defending the run. It's a situation that scares me as someone who has watched Cal football for a long time. I do have some predictions for the game though:

- I predicted earlier in the week that one of the RB triumvirate would have 150 yards rushing (find that here), and I think it'll be Khalfani Muhammad. He's looked incredibly fast in camp, and that should translate well against a Hawaii defense making a switch to a 4-3

- Final score: Cal 52, Hawaii 21

- I see at least two interceptions for the defense. QB Ikaika Woolsey isn't the most accurate, and Darius Allensworth was all over receivers during camp. He'll pick up one, along with one for Evan Rambo

- Hawaii's offensive line is pretty decent, but I could see a couple of sacks happening, especially from Devante Wilson. Hawaii's best offensive lineman is making a move from right guard to left tackle, and Wilson will test him at that spot.

- Demetris Robertson will score in some capacity, more than likely on a deep ball. Nick Rolovich has said his plan is to stop the run, which should lead to situations where Robertson gets single coverage without safety help. As I saw during camp, that doesn't work.

- Either Stovall or Veasy will be the leading receiver, with the quick out routes working for them. Stovall would have the edge, with his shiftiness and self-described want to make defenders look stupid, but Veasy is consistent, a large target, and the perfect safety blanket for Davis Webb.

- I think Hawaii's running game will take a bit of time to adjust to, but after a few drives, it'll be shut down. Rambo and Vanderbilt playing down from the safety spots will help with this, along with loading the box and daring Hawaii to throw deep.

- Marshawn rides a kangaroo to lead the team onto the field. Or something like that

Nam's Thoughts

Trace asked me to make some predictions in breaking this game down, but with this being a game of relatively low intrigue and relatively high win probability (a non-Power Five matchup against three touchdown underdogs rarely has of the former) I thought that I'd go ahead and throw some tepid takes out in bullet point format this time, rather than give too much serious thought.

Feel free to respond with your own in the forums:

- I have the final score at 55-17. We cover pretty easily, but the game probably takes a little bit before we're in gear, as has been recent Cal custom.

- 17 points happens on the back of the second unit. I think the starters will exit having given up 10 or less.

- Six touchdowns by the offense, one on D/ST, and two field goals.

- Two turnovers forced.

- Four sacks.

- Demetris Robertson? Finds end zone. Let's put his total APY at 150.

- Tre Watson doesn't hit the century mark, but does get a score.

- Freshmen who will debut alongside Robertson and Stovall: Beck, Duncan, Weaver.

- Chad Hansen leading receiver though.

- Over 2 Marshawn Lynch mentions. [Cuts to Marshawn count.]

- Many, many beers consumed by all.

Merry Football Eve, y'all. We made it.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic