Endoscopy

IAG

Has anyone had one? Known anyone who has? They want to give me one under "conscious sedation."

Putting a camera and light down my throat to take pictures of my tummy while pushing air into it sounds about as fun as 11/8 for the HRC folks. I don't know if I can do it. Why does it have to be conscious sedation? Just put me out!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have it done every 3 years. Always put under. Cant feel a thing. Sound asleep. My Gastro is the tits. Not even a sore throat afterwards

Tell them you are not comfortable unless you are put out. There is nothing to be nervous about. It's a routine procedure.

How long are they in there with the camera? I will tell them I want to be out, if that is a possibility. I thought I was just doing a swallow test, where I would drink something and they would take x-rays. The doctor office is supposed to call me back to discuss. I will ask if that's a possibility. Thanks.

How long are they in there with the camera? I will tell them I want to be out, if that is a possibility. I thought I was just doing a swallow test, where I would drink something and they would take x-rays. The doctor office is supposed to call me back to discuss. I will ask if that's a possibility. Thanks.

I couldn't say how long. I'm usually pretty out of it when I wake up. Never bothered to ask anyone how long I was out. If I had to guess the whole thing is 20 minutes from going to sleep to waking up.

I couldn't say how long. I'm usually pretty out of it when I wake up. Never bothered to ask anyone how long I was out. If I had to guess the whole thing is 20 minutes from going to sleep to waking up.

Would you feel nervous about it if you had to be awake during the procedure? I.e. conscious sedation? I'm worried they won't put me out.

get it done, IAG

better safe than sorry   :violin

I know. :(

just make sure it's not the same tube they did a colonoscopy with....

ew!

Endoscopy has got to be an easier entry then from the other direction.

hmmmmm. I dk...never had one of those. I dk if it would be easier or not? I'll have to think about that.

I killed 2 birds with one stone last time I went under

Colonoscopy and Endoscopy at the same time. My advice for anyone getting a colonoscopy, don't eat 3 days prior to the prep. It makes it so much easier. Nothing in your system to get rid of. It was the first time I had eaten very little in the days prior. Made it 1000x easier. A normal diet on the days leading up to the prep is a nightmare.

I killed 2 birds with one stone last time I went under

Colonoscopy and Endoscopy at the same time. My advice for anyone getting a colonoscopy, don't eat 3 days prior to the prep. It makes it so much easier. Nothing in your system to get rid of. It was the first time I had eaten very little in the days prior. Made it 1000x easier. A normal diet on the days leading up to the prep is a nightmare.

My primary said I should have one of those done also (turns out didn't need to I guess) so I was reading up on them. Doesn't sound pleasant, but many many people gave that same advice, so must make a pretty significant difference.

My primary said I should have one of those done also (turns out didn't need to I guess) so I was reading up on them. Doesn't sound pleasant, but many many people gave that same advice, so must make a pretty significant difference.

The type of prep your Dr uses also makes a big difference. There are a few brand preps that are very violent. MoviPrep is the one my current makes you take. One of the better preps.

I had one about 5 years ago.

Conscious sedation is the same as being "out". They gave me a shot and told me the doctor was coming in to tell me how to swallow the tube, I don't remember anything after the shot. Next thing I knew I was awaking from a great nap.

No pain.

Same here. I remember them telling me it was so they could tell me when to try and swallow or turn to my side or something. I had the 2 for 1 special done. The worry and prep is worse part. No pain or after effects from it. Don't remember anything from actual procedures.

Good luck IAG.

Had one maybe 10 years ago.

Remember them telling me to count down and next thing I knew I was waking up in some recovery bed. Started to kinda freak out and got up and started getting dressed. Doc came and talked to me (had bleedig esoNon heterosexual person eal ulcer) and said I needed to be wheeled chaired out. Apparently I didn't like that and tried the fight a male attendant and a male nurse. They wheeled me out to my moms car and kicked their wheelchair across the street and told the guy pushing me to fuck off.

Procedure itself is no biggie , I just don't respond well to anesthesia.