AR15 vs the AK47

Balco

Guest boatboatboat

Balco, ever shot an AK?

Boater, you got any AK's?  If so which do you prefer shooting AK or AR.

Don't own an AK have shot.

Have a few AR.

An old school AK is likely higher quality than a run of the mill consumer  AR purchased today.

AK's as a general rule weren't produced for Joe Public to buy at Dicks sporting goods, while the vast vast majority of AR's are.

You can get a quality or junk gun in either the AK or the AR, but chances are if you buy a 30 year old AK you have your self a true military grade rifle. Now it won't look as cool or offer some kick ass rail system for cheap like an AR would.

IMO if you want a semi auto shoot em up type rifle go buy a mid range AR. Because chances are you wont shoot it much (sad but true) and it will look cool, and you can show your buddies and they will think you are  a hard core kick ass MO FO.

My favorite is my Mossen Nagiants but that is another story all together

Guest boatboatboat

I know you're a gun collector, didn't know if you got your hands on any AK's.

Figured an old AK probably can run thru anything and would be awfully reliable.

-You try getting one?  Or just never really crossed your mind

I buy my AR's locally, the way Donald Trump would like it.

If I added anything along those lines it would be an SKS. Ammo for that is cheap.

I shoot most of my stuff, so the ammo cost is a factor for me.

Balco, ever shot an AK?

Boater, you got any AK's? If so which do you prefer shooting AK or AR.

I own a M+M M10-762 AK. Their the close as you will get to a machine gun and definitely more fun to shot, but only for 75 yards in otherwise stick to an AR. Gas piston ARs are similar to AK where you can fire more rounds without cleaning, but are they worth the price???

Both have a purpose and a must have.

Buy auto

1. You need to be eligible to possess firearms in general. 
  2. You must live in a state where NFA items are permitted and machine guns, specifically, are legal to possess.
  3. The machine gun you wish to acquire must have been manufactured on or before May 19, 1986.  That is the cutoff date for entries to be made in the NFRTR (National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record), the registry of all NFA items in the United States including machine guns.
  4. You must locate a Class III dealer (FFL01+SOT) that sells or can transfer in the machine gun you wish to acquire in your state of residence.
  5. You must purchase the machine gun upfront prior to transfer and have it shipped to your Class III dealer.  For a full-auto M16, this will be anywhere from $12,000 and up.  Typical prices for an M16 hover around $14,000 to $16,000.
  6. Once purchased and with your dealer, the dealer will fill out the Form 4 application on your behalf to submission to the BATFE and collect your $200 NFA transfer stamp tax.
  7. The application will be submitted.  Now you wait 8+ months for the full FBI background check and BATFE processing to complete. 
  8. Once the Form 4 is processed, it will be returned to the dealer along with the tax stamp which is part of your paperwork.  You can then take possession of your military grade fully automatic firearm and take it home.
  9. The tax stamp must be kept with the firearm it belongs to at all times!  The tax stamp is your only affirmative defense to prove you are not in possession of an illegal machine gun.  The tax stamp is proof you paid the transfer tax and legally transferred the machine gun.  Ranges that allow Class III will want to see the stamp.  If you get pulled over and the gun is discovered/inspected, law enforcement will definitely want to see it too.  You may be required to present the firearm for inspection on demand by the BATFE.
  10. You may not transport the fully automatic firearm across state lines for any purpose without prior consent of the Federal government.  You must request this in advance and provide details on where the firearm is going, when you are leaving and when it will return to its registered location of residence.
  11. You cannot leave the presence of your fully automatic firearm.  If someone else is shooting it, you must be with it, legally speaking.  The one exception to this is if you have formed a legal trust for the purpose of possessing the firearm, in which case all beneficiaries of the trust (usually family or employees) may have access to the firearm.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest boatboatboat

http://i0.wp.com/kitup.military.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/berettarifle3.jpg?resize=777%2C251The new Tikka T3X TAC A1 tactical bolt-action rifle at SHOT Show 2017. Photo: Beretta USA.

LAS VEGAS — Beretta unveiled the new Tikka T3X TAC A1 tactical bolt-action rifle at SHOT Show 2017.

“It’s the game-changer,” said Philip Jones, rifle product manager at Beretta USA. “As far as precision rifles go, we think this is really going to set a very high and new bar.”

The TAC A1 features a “very smooth, very dependable” Tikka bolt action and a two-stage trigger that can be adjusted to between 2-4 pounds, Jones said.

http://i2.wp.com/kitup.military.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/berrettarifle.jpg?resize=774%2C245

“One of the things that is obviously very important with this rifle is durability,” he said. “If you look at the AR-compatible stock on this gun, it is a machined- aluminum piece with a steel hinge.”

The folding stock has a monopod mount, height-adjustable buttplate, a cheek piece that can be adjusted for both height and angle. There are spacers included in the box so the length of pull can be increased by .75 inches, Jones said.

“It is AR compatible, so if someone wants to remove it and fit their own AR stock on it that is certainly a possibility with this rifle,” Jones said.

The TAC A1 uses a proprietary 10-round steel magazine. The buyer will get three with the rifle, two in the box and one more once it’s registered with Beretta, Jones said.

It has a Sako-made, hammer-forged Tikka barrel and a full-length Picatinny rail along the top of the handguard as well as MLOK attachment points. A removable muzzle compensator is also included.

http://i1.wp.com/kitup.military.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/berettarifle2.jpg?resize=777%2C268

The TAC A1 is available in .308 Winchester with either 16-inch or 20-inch barrel lengths, .260 Remington with either 20-inch or 24-inch barrel lengths and 6.5mm Creedmoor with a 24-inch barrel.

It retails for 1,899.

Guest boatboatboat

I would like to have a pair of older style western guns. Above average condition "shooters"

th?id=OIP.M4b3e6a9e33999d2311364534cc42b

th?id=OIP.Mfcf2d87dbcdfeced99f7d4ccf2faa

Not sure why I don't. Well I guess its the $. Always is

But I would enjoy those SO MUCH more than some of the other crap I have bought

Guest boatboatboat

You gotta have a Henry Rifle right boat?

yes have 2 of them.

didn't buy when they first came out, maybe 2-3 years into production.

Wish I had bought ten of them. Prices have doubled.

VERY nice shooting gun.

Guest boatboatboat

I have two MacDonald's straws taped to a can of compressed air. Use to clean computer and keep under my bed in case of refugees

what's cool about that is that with one of these

th?id=OIP.Mda50c5db4e91305816b05bdd66502

you can shoot around corners

yes have 2 of them.

didn't buy when they first came out, maybe 2-3 years into production.

Wish I had bought ten of them. Prices have doubled.

VERY nice shooting gun.

Damn...The 1 gun my grandpa still talks about wanting to own.  Then says "Why would I want it though, it's just going to sit in the glass case"

He's got some nice older rifles and shotguns, but hasn't bought anything in 40+ years, but still talks of owning a Henry.

Guest boatboatboat

95 % hobby. I enjoy shooting. Mostly in the winter. We have a small gun shop here with an indoor range. Leave a few gun there in a locker. Not unusual for me to stop in 3-4 times a week and shoot for maybe 30 mins.

I drive by the place 4-6 times a day while I am out and about.

Range time is free if you buy ammo there.

The other 5% that is need. Amounts to every few years shooting a ground hog that is digging in an area that its harming, or plunking my every year 2 fox squirrels to eat my once a year squirrel l dinner. I think maybe 3 times have shot a varmint that was acting odd and I suspected was rabid. 

Every 2-3 years I'll shoot a small doe (deer) and we have that made into summer sausage and freeze it. last us a few years. 

That's it as far as my "need" . I sure as heck don't need for protection. Only have one loaded gun in house and its in a gun safe so its not like I could even get to it quick.

My fear of an "attack" revolves around Spankie CYBER attacking me again.