OT: Anyone here make money delivering food for Postmates or DoorDash?

KingRevolver

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. They just talk a good game.

you get some service people who think they are elite judges of service and pay what they think was deserved based on their experience; completely forgetting how shitty of a day people can have and how it feels to be cheaped on.... but the majority of service workers tip pretty well from my experience. i don't live on tips as a dishwasher, but i usually tip 30-40%. On delivery I was tipping $5-$6 an order that was $20 but heard from drivers I know that $4 and $5 is considered really good so thought I was over tipping. Average tip was $3 they told me.

One question, Timely: If a waiter/waitress is absolutely shit, should they get any tip at all?

I've only stiffed one time, and that was in Mammoth Lakes, CA @ some Hawaiian-style restaurant.  Place was EMPTY, well, maybe a couple people out in the patio.  The waitress came over to us, and was very rude from the start.  She never smiled, she sighed a couple times, took our order and left.  She comes back with the food, and that was the last time we saw her.  Food was absolutely horrible, which wasn't her fault, but we wanted drink refills.  Anyway, we "finished" what we could... and we waited, and then waited some more.  Finally, I got up and asked another waitress for the check.  She brought it over to us, and I paid it.  Left ZERO tip.  Felt bad, but I was PISSED.

Afterwards, I checked the place out on Yelp, and they were flooded with complaints about how bad the waiting service, and food, was there.

Thing is, if you leave a tip, how will they know they need to improve?

One question, Timely: If a waiter/waitress is absolutely shit, should they get any tip at all?

I've only stiffed one time, and that was in Mammoth Lakes, CA @ some Hawaiian-style restaurant.  Place was EMPTY, well, maybe a couple people out in the patio.  The waitress came over to us, and was very rude from the start.  She never smiled, she sighed a couple times, took our order and left.  She comes back with the food, and that was the last time we saw her.  Food was absolutely horrible, which wasn't her fault, but we wanted drink refills.  Anyway, we "finished" what we could... and we waited, and then waited some more.  Finally, I got up and asked another waitress for the check.  She brought it over to us, and I paid it.  Left ZERO tip.  Felt bad, but I was PISSED.

Afterwards, I checked the place out on Yelp, and they were flooded with complaints about how bad the waiting service, and food, was there.

Yes you do - you tip real small like 50 cents-$1. If you don't tip, they may not realize that their service sucked and you just forgot. By tipping small, it shows you took the time to rate their service and you thought it sucked.

From me, sure.

Everyone has a bad day at work, and I never feel like I'm in position to decide whether or not they deserve to get paid that day. If someone has a shit day at the office and doesn't accomplish anything they still get paid. I don't know what has happened that day to that person to make them shitty. If it happens time and time again, then I'd just stop going to that place. 

As for how will they know to improve? Eh, if they are really shitty at their job it will become apparent based on complaints and they'll be fired; same way it happens at a desk job. It's management's responsibility to notice and make the change, I never felt it was my place to decide they shouldn't get paid. I usually don't punish the wait staff, I punish the establishment and just stop giving them my business and money if changes aren't made because it's just as much their incompetence as it is the servers for keeping them around.

Usually with really horrible service, and blatant disregard for me being there, I'll leave 20%.

Not bad for just some extra cash.  Do that pace every week and your looking at an extra $800-$1000 bucks per month.

How many hours do you think you put into it?  73.73 miles?  I wouldn't imagine that you put more than 5 gallons of gas into it.  Thats not bad at all. 

More than just gas Sol.  How about tires, oil changes, alignments, or worse.  IDK if Kinger has a warranty.

Good suggestion. I like it.

Eh, this doesn't really do anything. They'll just assume you're an asshole and complain about your cheap shitty tip. 

If you feel someone is genuinely bad at their job, make a comment or suggestion to management in a respectful way. If that person doesn't have a history of complaints or mistakes, odds are management will just brush it off and apologize and nothing will come of it. If that person has a history of bad complaints, they don't deserve the job and should be let go. If the managers an asshole to his staff and overreacts to every mistake, then it's probably best for that server to get out of there anyway.

I would say never use words like "that person needs to be fired" etc etc. Just explain what was missing from your experience, and be done with it. The needs to be fired thing blows my mind. 

Not bad for just some extra cash. Do that pace every week and your looking at an extra $800-$1000 bucks per month.

How many hours do you think you put into it? 73.73 miles? I wouldn't imagine that you put more than 5 gallons of gas into it. Thats not bad at all.

That's like 3.75 gallons, I think. Less than $10. I've put in like 13-14 hours, I think, during that period.