There won't be any wild pitches on intentional walks this season. MLB players' union agrees to pitchless intentional walks

plommer

The players' association has agreed to Major League Baseball's proposal to have intentional walks without pitches this year.

"It doesn't seem like that big of a deal. I know they're trying to cut out some of the fat. I'm OK with that," Cleveland manager Terry Francona said.

While the union has resisted many of MLB's proposed innovations, such as raising the bottom of the strike zone, installing pitch clocks and limiting trips to the mound, players are willing to accept the intentional walk change.

"As part of a broader discussion with other moving pieces, the answer is yes," union head Tony Clark wrote Wednesday in an email to The Associated Press. "There are details, as part of that discussion, that are still being worked through, however."

The union's decision was first reported by ESPN .

"I'm OK with it. You signal. I don't think that's a big deal," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "For the most part, it's not changing the strategy, it's just kind of speeding things up. I'm good with it."

There were 932 intentional walks last year, including 600 in the National League, where batters are walked to bring the pitcher's slot to the plate.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/mlb-players-union-agrees-pitchless-intentional-walks-45657455

love the change. wont make much of a difference as it doesnt happen that often, but anything to speed it up 

Purists may hate changes like this but the avg/occasional type fan will appreciate it. Think its only a matter of time before they switch to an automated K zone also

How could you possibly "love a change" like this? Next to zero effect on the game, and takes something cool and rare like Miggy hitting a double on an intentional walk out of the game. 

Speed it up? On average it saves 8 seconds per game throughout the course of the entire season. Are those 8 seconds that valuable to you pal?