RED SOX have reigning Cy Young Award winner, and he’s probably the third-best SP on the team.

FISHHEAD

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Porcello blows. Price a choker. Boston has 1 good SP.

I pretty much agree w this post.

Porcello is a third tier SP who for had career year last year....Price IMO is barely first tier with a baffling inability to win truly big games. Sale is awesome....Sox still battle to win 88 given the strength of division pitching

Red Sox might snag a WC slot but likely finish behind Yankees and resurgent Rays team who themselves should be 5 deep with legit SP

Toronto misses out barely due to one or more pitching injuries leaving their slightly lessened offense a few games short.

Baltimore might lose 90 this year. Their refusal to build a true frontline SP core finally catches up

• 1 year later...

This is what will win th division this year

I'll be honest: I was one of the guys who said that the Matt Clement signing was a steal. I loved Clement's strikeout rate, felt that the homers were a fluke in '04, noting that an extreme groundball pitcher shouldn't have given up 1.14 HR/9. I was half right, but the strikeouts collapsed; he dropped off from a 24.5% K/PA to a 17.6% K/PA. That's a big deal, going from one of the game's elite strikeout rates to one that was somewhat pedestrian. Clement's times were troubled last year, and some statheads, like the Mets' Ben Baumer, argued that Clement was a better signing than Pedro. Clement should bounce back this year, a little bit, at least. PECOTA thinks he's a fairly safe bet; his Collapse Rate is merely 8%. That's about as low as I've seen for a pitcher this year, except maybe Jake Peavy.

This is what will win th division this year

I'll be honest: I was one of the guys who said that the Matt Clement signing was a steal. I loved Clement's strikeout rate, felt that the homers were a fluke in '04, noting that an extreme groundball pitcher shouldn't have given up 1.14 HR/9. I was half right, but the strikeouts collapsed; he dropped off from a 24.5% K/PA to a 17.6% K/PA. That's a big deal, going from one of the game's elite strikeout rates to one that was somewhat pedestrian. Clement's times were troubled last year, and some statheads, like the Mets' Ben Baumer, argued that Clement was a better signing than Pedro. Clement should bounce back this year, a little bit, at least. PECOTA thinks he's a fairly safe bet; his Collapse Rate is merely 8%. That's about as low as I've seen for a pitcher this year, except maybe Jake Peavy.

Clement due for a huge bounce back year. Also think John Burkett really takes the step forward everyone has been expecting this year.