Famous Drunk Discussions #1 Cutler to Arizona

maron

It did pass quite a while ago. I think this is more of a hypothetical question

Serious question

In baseball they have the trading deadline then it seems that teams can magically add players near the end year past the deadline from other teams...how is that possible in baseball?

Serious question

In baseball they have the trading deadline then it seems that teams can magically add players near the end year past the deadline from other teams...how is that possible in baseball?

Baseball has two trading deadlines. The main one that people recognize is the non-waiver trade deadline

But deals can still be made after that deadline, the players just have to go through waivers first. So for example Cole hamels got placed on revocable waivers after the deadline last year and was claimed by the Cubbies. So Philly had three options at this point. 1) Let him go to the Cubs for free and Cubs are on the hook for his entire contract 2) Trade him to the Cubbies (which i think there is like a 3 day period where this can happen) or 3) Pull him back and just keep him

Some guys like Cliff Lee will get put on waivers and clear them because no team wants to pay his entire contract. So Cliff I believe got put on waivers and cleared, so the Phillies were at that point open to trade Lee to ANY team in the league, whereas Hamels could only get traded to the Cubs.

There are also irrevocable waivers where you do not have the option to pull a guy back. Either have to let him go to the other team for free or trade him. Not sure on the reasoning for why guys would be (or have to be) placed on that waiver vs the revocable waiver

Baseball has two trading deadlines. The main one that people recognize is the non-waiver trade deadline

But deals can still be made after that deadline, the players just have to go through waivers first. So for example Cole hamels got placed on revocable waivers after the deadline last year and was claimed by the Cubbies. So Philly had three options at this point. 1) Let him go to the Cubs for free and Cubs are on the hook for his entire contract 2) Trade him to the Cubbies (which i think there is like a 3 day period where this can happen) or 3) Pull him back and just keep him

Some guys like Cliff Lee will get put on waivers and clear them because no team wants to pay his entire contract. So Cliff I believe got put on waivers and cleared, so the Phillies were at that point open to trade Lee to ANY team in the league, whereas Hamels could only get traded to the Cubs.

There are also irrevocable waivers where you do not have the option to pull a guy back. Either have to let him go to the other team for free or trade him. Not sure on the reasoning for why guys would be (or have to be) placed on that waiver vs the revocable waiver

I think Maron probably knows this.

He's asking if trades after the deadline are also possible in the NFL.

Trades involving players are rare in the NFL at anytime as it is. I do not know if its possible after the deadline or not.