TGF's 2nd Annual $5 Cook-off - $100 Cash Prize

jd_

Create your best meal with a $5 budget. Photo of receipt must be sent via pm with your entry. PM Entries to me. Rules and items copied from last year's contest. 

Prize: $100 Cash! Huge thanks to Dingo for sponsoring the contest. 

Free items: Can use as much or as many of these as you want and it will not count against your budget.

Seasonings: Salt, Pepper, Bottled spices (paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, cinnamon,etc.). 
Cooking oils: Vegetable oil, Canola oil, Olive Oil, Butter 
Condiments: Mayo,Bbq sauce Mustard, Ketchup, Hot Sauce
Dry/Baking Ingredients: Flour, Sugar, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Corn meal
Base Items: Plain Noodles (spaghetti or elbow macaroni), White or Brown Rice, Milk, Eggs

Anything other than the items listed above must be purchased and counts toward the $5 limit.

To answer some potential questions in advance:

- Meal can be vegetarian.
- Can be a dessert.
- Drinks don't count. You can put on whatever drinks you want with the meal, but drinks aren't voted on. 
- People will submit entry pics and recipe to me via pm. Picture of the meal and picture of the receipt(s) required. Description of meal and a recipe is preferred, but not required. 
- Each poster can submit two entries. 
- Remember to send via pm and do not post the pictures in this thread. 
- Entries due by 11:59pm EST on Wednesday, May 31st. 

-Voting for best meal will be in a separate thread after the deadline for entries and all entries are received. The three areas for voting score cards, used from Iron Chef and cooking competitions, are Taste (assumed in this case), Presentation, and Originality/Creativity. Requests were made to have this style of voting. Keep these in mind when shopping and cooking, since that is what people will be voting on. 

Good luck and I hope to see some more entries this year. Thanks again to Dingo for the contest. 

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That leaves 2 1/2 weeks for all the busiest people to get an entry in. 

Dingo and Canadians are taking this contest by storm. The conversion $5 US is $6.85. 

I'm guessing that is fair enough and will be allowed to do that. All I know about the currency is that their damn quarters always screw me over at the vending machine at work. 

O_Canada.jpg

Free items: Can use as much or as many of these as you want and it will not count against your budget.

Seasonings: Salt, Pepper, Bottled spices (paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, cinnamon,etc.). 

Cooking oils: Vegetable oil, Canola oil, Olive Oil, Butter 

Condiments: Mayo,Bbq sauce Mustard, Ketchup, Hot Sauce

Dry/Baking Ingredients: Flour, Sugar, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Corn meal

Base Items: Plain Noodles (spaghetti or elbow macaroni), White or Brown Rice, Milk, Eggs

Is sour cream a condiment?  What about salsa?  I vote yes on both. 

I need a tablespoon of soya sauce

Do I need to count as an expense or could I steal a package from the Chinese take-out in the grocery store

We didn't have anyone ask about soy sauce last time. After we started last year, we kept to the listed items.

How do you guys want to do on things like this or other items in question like sour cream and salsa? Ask now and have vote on them and close it off after a day of discussion or just leave it as is, which was the list from last contest?

I'm fine with whatever. Last year JT had to go back out and buy syrup I think because we didn't have it as a free item. Basically could make a case for almost anything to be free or a common item, so I'll leave it up to how you guys want to proceed.

Wikipedia has a huge list of condiments we could go by if everyone wanted. Need to get answer today to be fair to those that have shopped already.

Thanks.

I look at it as having the Free items being something you Always have in the house and you wouldn't have to throw it out or buy it for this contest.....I know without even checking that I have soy, salt, pepper etc.....sour cream, salsa and syrup? Don't know and if I do I'd have to check expiration dates...

I look at it as having the Free items being something you Always have in the house and you wouldn't have to throw it out or buy it for this contest.....I know without even checking that I have soy, salt, pepper etc.....sour cream, salsa and syrup? Don't know and if I do I'd have to check expiration dates...

Milk, eggs, and mayo all have an expiration date.  Yet they are on the free items list..  

I was surprised that things like milk, eggs, rice, noodles were on the free list.  Shouldn't be IMO.