OT: Don't you guys feel like real men when you fix your own car?

KingRevolver

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These newer cars are so low profile, you cant fit under them to change the oil.  Would need ramps.  Too much trouble.  And too much time.

Everyone knows I'm short on time as it is. 

On the new cars you also have to remove some panel to even access the bottom of the engine, so you buy ramps and learn how to do it, I like changing my oil, With newer cars you never even open the hood, it's good to look around once in awhile.

I can work while they change my oil and make 20x what it costs.

I take a similar view of it.

The amount of time and effort it'd take to learn and actually do things like an oil change simply isn't worth it. I'd rather pay someone else to do it and enjoy my free time.

Need maybe 1 a year and it costs me $100. The oil itself is like $60-70. So id save $30. Um, pass.

2008. Rather drive a nine (9) year old vehicle, than stoop to the level of a newer Toyota or Honda.

Pal, I barely drive. (Under a 100 miles a week) Have no reason to own some commuter car. Could buy or lease a new luxury car or even something economical like a Honda if I felt like it.

I prefer to own a little older much more fun car.

Had the top down ripping down the freeway in a v8 beast today. You're telling me driving some Honda is going to give me the same pleasure? I think not.

WEAVE

An exaggeration?  FOr sure.

But do you change your oil?    Or do you work at your expertise  (gym class) and then pay someone else do to their job

2008.  Rather drive a nine (9) year old vehicle, than stoop to the level of a newer Toyota or Honda.  

Yea lol.   This oil change shit isn't really an issue for me because my 2012 civic needs one like once every 2 years.

Even more reason to get fiscally responsible. You could by a 2008 Honda Civic with a moonroof with the same mileage for 1/4 of the price. Since you only drive 100 miles a week.

As we discussed previously , yea, of course this is the +EV financial move. The older I get and the more I think about maybe retiring some day, the more I lean toward this.

That said, Kolznig told me the illuminati is going to end the world in the next 10 years, so why deprive myself ?

Also, on a serious note , this is the mental "math" I did to decide on the fun convertible and the commuter car.

The $15k difference in price works out to $2-300 extra per month in car costs (I amortize the cost over the expected life to track the expense of ownership) I spent maybe 6 hours in the car a week. So it costs me an extra $10 a hour. Now that may seem high, but it's really not. I actually ENJOY getting in my car and driving. Being able to take down the top and drive to the coast is something I put a lot of value on as well. Makes me feel alive and appreciate things more. Doing the same thing w the window down on a Honda ain't gonna have that effect.

So my happiness and enjoyment is worth WAY more than the price difference.