OT: Don't you guys feel like real men when you fix your own car?

KingRevolver

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As we discussed previously , yea, of course this is the +EV financial move. The older I get and the more I think about maybe retiring some day, the more I lean toward this.

That said, Kolznig told me the illuminati is going to end the world in the next 10 years, so why deprive myself ?

Also, on a serious note , this is the mental "math" I did to decide on the fun convertible and the commuter car.

The $15k difference in price works out to $2-300 extra per month in car costs (I amortize the cost over the expected life to track the expense of ownership) I spent maybe 6 hours in the car a week. So it costs me an extra $10 a hour. Now that may seem high, but it's really not. I actually ENJOY getting in my car and driving. Being able to take down the top and drive to the coast is something I put a lot of value on as well. Makes me feel alive and appreciate things more. Doing the same thing w the window down on a Honda ain't gonna have that effect.

So my happiness and enjoyment is worth WAY more than the price difference.

Its a NINE (9) year old car. It ain't that cool.

Pal, I barely drive. (Under a 100 miles a week) Have no reason to own some commuter car. Could buy or lease a new luxury car or even something economical like a Honda if I felt like it.

I prefer to own a little older much more fun car.

Had the top down ripping down the freeway in a v8 beast today. You're telling me driving some Honda is going to give me the same pleasure? I think not.

2008 SL?

Those can be extremely expensive to fix, if its the AMG version

You shouldn't feel too smart, pal.  You paid extra for the extended maintenace contract.  That's probably the biggest scam car dealerships have going for them.

Yeah i paid an extra 2600 for the protection/maintenance plan.  I never have to think about paying 1 cent for anything on it for the time i own it.  Bring it in, get it serviced, and out the door.   Always spend a little extra on vehicles because they transport my pride and joy daily, my 3 sons and wife.

Yeah i paid an extra 2600 for the protection/maintenance plan.  I never have to think about paying 1 cent for anything on it for the time i own it.  Bring it in, get it serviced, and out the door.   Always spend a little extra on vehicles because they transport my pride and joy daily, my 3 sons and wife.

Depending on what kind of car it is, $2600 for a couple of extra years could be very high or very low.

If I need to change the oil I go to a local place and have a Nicaraguan take care of it just like 99% of you guys go to a place and have a Mexican do it. No need to get my hands dirty unless I cant afford to pay it.

lol it's not even close to the same.  you get full service gas too.

You shouldn't feel too smart, pal.  You paid extra for the extended maintenace contract.  That's probably the biggest scam that car dealerships have going for them.

:bulb

They dont get it. "yea, I got free maint for 4 years", dumb asses paid like a grand for $100 worth of service.

:bulb

They dont get it. "yea, I got free maint for 4 years", dumb asses paid like a grand for $100 worth of service.

This is correct.  Complete waste of money.  These dealerships aren't giving away mechanic service because they're nice people that care about familes.  That's not how it works.  It's a rip-off.

"A survey conducted by the Consumer Reports National Research Center in late 2013 found that 55 percent of owners who purchased an extended warranty hadn’t used it for repairs during the lifetime of the policy. And, on average, those who did use it spent hundreds more for the coverage than they saved in repair costs."

This is correct.  Complete waste of money.  These dealerships aren't giving away mechanic service because they're nice people that care about familes.  That's not how it works.  It's a rip-off.

"A survey conducted by the Consumer Reports National Research Center in late 2013 found that 55 percent of owners who purchased an extended warranty hadn’t used it for repairs during the lifetime of the policy. And, on average, those who did use it spent hundreds more for the coverage than they saved in repair costs."

Kinger and Merlin.     What a world it has come too.

Wrong.

With the plan i got it will more than pay itself off on resale if i trade it in after a few years, which i will do.

So Mr stupid, you think a future buyer of your car will care that you had an overpriced maint package that you really used? So you are saying," I paid big money for oil changes, and I actually got it changed", but you could have done it yourself and they'll still believe you.