sleepy at the track

sleepy

Sleepy on the rail!!

Sleepy I used to jog a few, pull your arms right out your shoulders if they wanna go

Like to get to Aces someday know a couple of drivers from long ago.

Scare the piss out the fukks if I stop by.

I briefly worked for Fred List at Western Fair late 80's. When getting hired he asked me if I could jog horses, I said of course.

First horse he gives me to jog was a cheap claiming $3k claiming mare named Janey Gee. So I jump on the jog cart and away we go. Get on the track going the wrong way on the outside as you are supposed to when going slow and boom the mare wants to go. I'm using 100% of my strength to try and hold her back but no fukkin bueno, she goes as fast as she wanted for almost 2 miles before she slowed down. Fred List was on the track jogging another horse and I'm sure he was impressed with my skills as I blew by him a few times.

Didn't realize the mare was in to race that night and she won.

True story.

I briefly worked for Fred List at Western Fair late 80's. When getting hired he asked me if I could jog horses, I said of course.

First horse he gives me to jog was a cheap claiming $3k claiming mare named Janey Gee. So I jump on the jog cart and away we go. Get on the track going the wrong way on the outside as you are supposed to when going slow and boom the mare wants to go. I'm using 100% of my strength to try and hold her back but no fukkin bueno, she goes as fast as she wanted for almost 2 miles before she slowed down. Fred List was on the track jogging another horse and I'm sure he was impressed with my skills as I blew by him a few times.

Didn't realize the mare was in to race that night and she won.

True story.

A pullin whore she was

lolol

Actually was sometime in 1985, not late 80's.

I was only involved with the jugheads for a couple of years as an experiment, was alot more involved in the Thoroughbred side of racing at Woodbine/Ft Erie.

That's fukkin cool nice you saved!

I couldn't get licensed although a had a piece of several over the years.

Absolutely love the animals

Man I know dozens of guy lived in a tack.

Donut Dougie Ross my favorite

The only reason I chose to work at Ft Erie and not Woodbine was because I wanted to party.

On Fridays (payday) we'd drink at Cirillo's in Ft Erie until 1AM then get in a cab and head over to Buffalo NY and drink to 4AM and return to Ft Erie by 5AM ready to go back to work. Never realized I was underage drinking in NY state. Not that anyone ever checked ID's back then.

Horses need to be fed every day.

Harness racing a tough gig.  Tough sport for owners to make money in.  Small pools and hard to get any big money down for bettors.  Most of the thoroughbred jockeys are latino.  A lot of the drivers in harness racing at the smaller tracks are the owners and trainers as well.

I don't really bet harness races.  Only thoroughbreds.  But I know some people in Vegas who are some of the bigger simulcast bettors in town as far as harness racing goes.

Harness racing a tough gig.  Tough sport for owners to make money in.  Small pools and hard to get any big money down for bettors.  Most of the thoroughbred jockeys are latino.  A lot of the drivers in harness racing at the smaller tracks are the owners and trainers as well.

I don't really bet harness races.  Only thoroughbreds.  But I know some people in Vegas who are some of the bigger simulcast bettors in town as far as harness racing goes.

All kind of shady shit goes on at the smaller harness tracks. Some of the bigger ones as well, know an owner that's a former trainer/driver at Yonkers and Freehold and some of the shit he's told me is disgusting. I've sat there and heard him talk to drivers on the phone and it has disillusioned me from following the sport forever.

True in small markets.

The harness pools at the major harness tracks like The Meadowlands and Woodbine/Mohawk are very bettable. Not like Santa Anita but still bettable.

All kind of shady shit goes on at the smaller harness tracks. Some of the bigger ones as well, know an owner that's a former trainer/driver at Yonkers and Freehold and some of the shit he's told me is disgusting. I've sat there and heard him talk to drivers on the phone and it has disillusioned me from following the sport forever.

Lots of cheating going in all racing, both Standardbred and Thoroughbred - the guys doing the cheating don't see it that way, they see it as getting an edge because everyone is trying.

I always got a chuckle when I'd hear guys at the track see a heavy favourite break stride and the payouts on the gimmicks would be huge, they would say the drivers all had it. Well if the drivers all had the exotic bets then they wouldn't pay what they do.

Certainly.  I've heard some pretty crazy stories myself.