sleepy at the track

sleepy

Thoroughbreds definitley better for betting.

I grew up betting the runners at Woodbine (lived about 2 miles away) but harness racing was also very big in Toronto - Greenwood Racetrack used to alternate with Thoroughbred meets in spring and fall and Standard-bred racing in summer and winter.

Lots of cheating going in all racing, both Standardbred and Thoroughbred - the guys doing the cheating don't see it that way, they see it as getting an edge because everyone is trying.

I always got a chuckle when I'd hear guys at the track see a heavy favourite break stride and the payouts on the gimmicks would be huge, they would say the drivers all had it. Well if the drivers all had the exotic bets then they wouldn't pay what they do.

Cheating (milkshaking, etc.) I don't mind.  You can see what trainers are more successful with equivalent horses through their claims.  Fixing races would be the only thing that would bother me.  Could be done by giving the horse a bad trip I suppose (in TB's), but I don't think it's all that prevalent.

Lots of cheating going in all racing, both Standardbred and Thoroughbred - the guys doing the cheating don't see it that way, they see it as getting an edge because everyone is trying.

I always got a chuckle when I'd hear guys at the track see a heavy favourite break stride and the payouts on the gimmicks would be huge, they would say the drivers all had it. Well if the drivers all had the exotic bets then they wouldn't pay what they do.

These guys don't realize that forcing a horse to break stride is extremely dangerous to the rider and horse both. Like Monkey said intentionally getting bad trips is the much preferred method.

These guys don't realize that forcing a horse to break stride is extremely dangerous to the rider and horse both. Like Monkey said intentionally getting bad trips is the much preferred method.

Yeah I agree.

Race fixing requires too much collusion, I won't say it never happens because it has, I just know its not prevalent.

I used to hang out with a semi famous ex Canadian jockey who likes to gamble, he used to tell me stories of how he would bet on races he rode in and left out his horse on his trifecta tickets then be kinda pissed during the race when his horse had a chance to finish in the money and would be good for the owner and trainer but bad for his wager.