Woodbine Racetrack is adding a second grass course - Standarbreds moving to Mohawk permanently

plommer

https://www.thestar.com/sports/2017/06/28/woodbine-racetrack-to-open-second-grass-course.html

Woodbine Racetrack to open second grass course
Construction on new turf course is scheduled to begin next year and be ready for racing in 2019

woodbine-grass-web.jpg.size.custom.crop.

Last month, Lawson unveiled Woodbine’s plan to invest $10 million into Mohawk Racetrack to winterize the facility and allow standardbred horses to run there year-round on a full-time basis starting in 2018. Construction is scheduled to begin there this fall.

The Mohawk announcement prompted speculation the harness track at Woodbine would be converted into a second turf course there.

nice 

Woodbine was a terrible harness track. Mohawk a superior race course.

Gonna dig out my HPI password, I got a few bob in there.

I know the horsemen at Mohawk hate having to ship to Woodbine in order to race. Pretty sure that was a big part of it. I agree, Woodbine is a Thoroughbred track, the jugheads don't belong there.

Nowadays it doesn't matter to me as I don't attend either venue but I was a longtime Woodbine regular and liked the fact they raced both types of horses on the same days.

The track I really miss is Greenwood. That place had ambiance and was full of interesting characters.

I know the horsemen at Mohawk hate having to ship to Woodbine in order to race. Pretty sure that was a big part of it. I agree, Woodbine is a Thoroughbred track, the jugheads don't belong there.

Nowadays it doesn't matter to me as I don't attend either venue but I was a longtime Woodbine regular and liked the fact they raced both types of horses on the same days.

The track I really miss is Greenwood. That place had ambiance and was full of interesting characters.

The game was once so beautiful.

I don't mind a quick skip to Mohawk, love that harness hall of fame.

The game was once so beautiful.

I don't mind a quick skip to Mohawk, love that harness hall of fame.

Back when Mohawk was a 5/8ths mile track and didn't have the slots or multi track simulcasting Sunday night was the big night for racing, place was packed, PACKED!

I used to enjoy a trip to Mohawk on Sunday night. Now the place is so different, full of seniors blowing through their retirement funds sitting at the machines. Nobody there even cares about the races.

Back when Mohawk was a 5/8ths mile track and didn't have the slots or multi track simulcasting Sunday night was the big night for racing, place was packed, PACKED!

I used to enjoy a trip to Mohawk on Sunday night. Now the place is so different, full of seniors blowing through their retirement funds sitting at the machines. Nobody there even cares about the races.

I go outside.

Always on the line, looove the sound of a last 1/8 mile.