OT - Does anyone have a Tesla car

HRWager

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets see, if you drive 15K a year and get 30mph, you use 500 gallons of gas a year, and currently save roughly a grand(although since electricity is not free, it's  fair amt less). Now if you keep the car 10 years and even if you factor in higher gas prices(which might never come), the most you'll save on gas is approx 10 grand. 

Since teslas cost anywhere from 20-50K more than traditional cars of the same size, it's a truly horrible decision to buy one.

Lets see, if you drive 15K a year and get 30mph, you use 500 gallons of gas a year, and currently save roughly a grand(although since electricity is not free, it's  fair amt less). Now if you keep the car 10 years and even if you factor in higher gas prices(which might never come), the most you'll save on gas is approx 10 grand. 

Since teslas cost anywhere from 20-50K more than traditional cars of the same size, it's a truly horrible decision to buy one.

But the taxes in Costa Rica Mike.  The taxes!  

When one talks Tesla, the customer is a BMW 5+ series, Mercedes 300+ and/or maybe a Lexus/Infinity prospect.

Save the planet.

When one talks Tesla, the customer is a BMW 5+ series, Mercedes 300+ and/or maybe a Lexus/Infinity prospect.

Save the planet.

Those are cars that cost roughly the same...but they are not similar cars, are they? Anybody know how much it does cost to recharge at home, I know it's hard to figure because no one fills up everyday for the next day(with gas)? I bet you're really "saving" very little, maybe only 30%, which means that hypothetical 10K in gas savings is really only a few K.

Those are cars that cost roughly the same...but they are not similar cars, are they? Anybody know how much it does cost to recharge at home, I know it's hard to figure because no one fills up everyday for the next day(with gas)? I bet you're really "saving" very little, maybe only 30%, which means that hypothetical 10K in gas savings is really only a few K.

2-3 cents a mile for charge. You also have no oil changes which will save another 3 grand. Plus the government rebate will save another 3750-7500.

Zero emissions has feelgood value as well

WVU tesla costs 30k.   I'm guessing that's not 50k more than a comparable gas car.

2-3 cents a mile for charge. You also have no oil changes which will save another 3 grand. Plus the government rebate will save another 3750-7500.

Zero emissions has feelgood value as well

I pay approx 6 cents a mile for gas($2.29/35mpg), I change oil about 3 times a year for less that $15 per. That's even less savings than I thought, regarding the supposed $30K cost for the new model, I read that almost all of them will run $50+ as delivered(dont know if that's true or not),

Teslas are fine if that's your thing, but considering if one was environmentally conscious they could buy a hybrid getting 50+mpg, which would almost negate any gas vs electric "savings", teslas seem destined to be a niche,  not a mainstream car.

That's what broke people say.

Thank you for your input.

That's what broke people say.

Thank you for your input.

People become financially secure by continually making wise financial decisions, throwing money away on transportation is a common way americans bleed cash. Many "broke people" know that, they just lack the discipline to act wisely.

People become financially secure by continually making wise financial decisions, throwing money away on transportation is a common way americans bleed cash. Many "broke people" know that, they just lack the discipline to act wisely.

I bought some $600 shoes the other day.   I'm gonna buy a $60k sportscar next year.   Oh well, have to retire at 45 instead of 44.

I pay approx 6 cents a mile for gas($2.29/35mpg), I change oil about 3 times a year for less that $15 per. That's even less savings than I thought, regarding the supposed $30K cost for the new model, I read that almost all of them will run $50+ as delivered(dont know if that's true or not),

Teslas are fine if that's your thing, but considering if one was environmentally conscious they could buy a hybrid getting 50+mpg, which would almost negate any gas vs electric "savings", teslas seem destined to be a niche,  not a mainstream car.

The model 3 costs 35k minus energy rebates.  Without ordering all the extras it will ship at that cost.  Any comparable car will run over 50k.  Tesla is prepared to lose money on the Model 3 at least during year one.  You cannot find a comparable hybrid anywhere near 35k so not sure what you are going on about.  Teslas will save you money if you like to drive nice cars.  They are marketing this car to those that buy BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, and Audi.  They aren't for everyone, but they are hoping in time it will be.

also "niche" cars do not get 400k pre-orders with deposits in 2 weeks.  IMO Tesla will be the top selling car in 5-7 years and will be providing 95% of all the batteries put into electric cars.

What are the amenities that tesla has that compare to high end cars, also I believe the energy rebates will not be available to most if they do sell. Once a certain amt of people claim them, they are eliminated, up til now it hasn't happened because very few electric cars are actually sold. 

What are the amenities that tesla has that compare to high end cars, also I believe the energy rebates will not be available to most if they do sell. Once a certain amt of people claim them, they are eliminated, up til now it hasn't happened because very few electric cars are actually sold. 

the rebate only goes to the first 200k cars sold by a manufacturer but there are wheels in motion to initiate new energy incentives.  If you have ever driven or been a passenger in a Tesla you would quickly answer your own questions about what makes the car stand out with performance. 

the rebate only goes to the first 200k cars sold by a manufacturer but there are wheels in motion to initiate new energy incentives.  If you have ever driven or been a passenger in a Tesla you would quickly answer your own questions about what makes the car stand out with performance. 

looked into getting a 3, and only concern was charging stations and how far they were from each other. there was surprisingly one by my parents house, and plenty in the area I live, but for longer distance trips you are planning your stops around them. The High Power stations are pretty essential for any road trip. For example, there is really only 1 station - none if you want to stay on path - between St. Joes and Ludington in Michigan. Still interested in getting one, but Illinois pulled the major write off because the state blows... will wait and see how the mass roll out goes.

looked into getting a 3, and only concern was charging stations and how far they were from each other. there was surprisingly one by my parents house, and plenty in the area I live, but for longer distance trips you are planning your stops around them. The High Power stations are pretty essential for any road trip. For example, there is really only 1 station - none if you want to stay on path - between St. Joes and Ludington in Michigan. Still interested in getting one, but Illinois pulled the major write off because the state blows... will wait and see how the mass roll out goes.

in a few years there will be charging stations everywhere.  My tesla will be my daily commuter so I'm not really concerned about charging stations.  I'm not even getting the upgraded batteries so I will need a recharge after 210 miles so I will just plug it in at home maybe once or twice a week.  There is a free charging station on campus here if I need it and another about 1/2 mile from my house.

I know teslas have tremendous acceleration, I'm just saying that you can get very fine cars for far less, a guy at work bought a new 2018 Camry yesterday for about 25K.  If you do the math a tesla is a bad idea financially, admittedly many people dont care about that.