OT - Does anyone have a Tesla car

HRWager

in a few years there will be charging stations everywhere.  My tesla will be my daily commuter so I'm not really concerned about charging stations.  I'm not even getting the upgraded batteries so I will need a recharge after 210 miles so I will just plug it in at home maybe once or twice a week.  There is a free charging station on campus here if I need it and another about 1/2 mile from my house.

The real cost to charge your car is prob a couple to a few bucks right? How long do you expect to get it for free, and should you get it for free?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know teslas have tremendous acceleration, I'm just saying that you can get very fine cars for far less, a guy at work bought a new 2018 Camry yesterday for about 25K.  If you do the math a tesla is a bad idea financially, admittedly many people dont care about that.

you can't compare a camry to a tesla.  You are way off.  Do the math.  You are wrong

The real cost to charge your car is prob a couple to a few bucks right? How long do you expect to get it for free, and should you get it for free?

it's only free for me on the UM campus.  The Supercharging stations around the world are free, but there will be a fee to use soon.  When charging at home a full charge will cost me about 8 bucks.

I laid it out, maybe 3-4 cents a mile over a cars lifetime, plus some maint, at most 10K ammortized out 10 years(present value less than 10K), I'm listening, show me the math?

there are 1000s of examples online that will show true saving in fuel costs to be about 9 cents per mile based on gas being $2.50 per gallon.  So over 200,000 miles you will save 18k.  That is just fuel savings.  Oil and engine maintenance savings will bump that to 22k.

it's only free for me on the UM campus.  The Supercharging stations around the world are free, but there will be a fee to use soon.  When charging at home a full charge will cost me about 8 bucks.

Wow, had no idea it's that costly, that makes the math even worse. It's kinda likely that gas/oil will never be costly again(for extended periods), the world is flooded with oil, and while peak oil(supply) never came, peak demand might be close.

there are 1000s of examples online that will show true saving in fuel costs to be about 9 cents per mile based on gas being $2.50 per gallon.  So over 200,000 miles you will save 18k.  That is just fuel savings.  Oil and engine maintenance savings will bump that to 22k.

If you're comparing a tesla to a F-150 maybe.  :lol  I cost me less than 9 cents a mile for gas and oil, tesla savings would be  4-5 cents max, and considering tesla users would prob use it for commuting, not all driving, annual mileage would be considerably less than the 15K  I used as an estimate.

If you're comparing a tesla to a F-150 maybe.  :lol  I cost me less than 9 cents a mile for gas and oil, tesla savings would be  4-5 cents max, and considering tesla users would prob use it for commuting, not all driving, annual mileage would be considerably less than the 15K  I used as an estimate.

I was using national average totals for both electricity and gas.  There is a cost calculator on Tesla's site.  Go play around with it if so inclined.  You really have no clue about Tesla cars especially if you want to compare it to a Camry.  We are talking about a car that can go 0-60 in 5 seconds.