Off Topic moving in with someone

ERBtheGREAT

So, if the guy happens to be renting, he shouldn't ask for half of the rent if he asks his girlfriend to move in either?

-Hey, I know we've been dating 6 months, I think you should move in to my house with me.

-1st day she moves in, hey I'm gonna need a grand from you today, that you may or may not get back.  Ohh and every day on the 1st I'm gonna need another grand.

That relationship should go well.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On my first read I missed the part where you said the house is paid for, this actually makes it tougher for me.....

Having Bravado like most men it's tuff to take money from your woman, so I might make an agreement to keep things ' out of sight out of mind'

Something like telling her she is going to need to go paperless bill pay on all utilities and pay them herself which washes out the free rent she's getting and in return you're going to pay for the groceries because that's something you'll probably be doing together so you will look like the man and the checkout...

Still leaves the question about the PT and I would say you pay them and let her know it's part of the agreement above...

Saves a lot of time also, who wants to sit down each month with a calculator and exchange money for 6-8 different bills?

-Hey, I know we've been dating 6 months, I think you should move in to my house with me.

-1st day she moves in, hey I'm gonna need a grand from you today, that you may or may not get back.  Ohh and every day on the 1st I'm gonna need another grand.

Why wouldn't it?  You don't think you have to manage money together when you're married?

If anything, it's a good way to see if you're compatible as a couple in that regard.

If I said "hey move in with me", I think I would go along with your thinking more.  It kind of just comes up in conversation after dating a while, more of a mutual idea to "go to the next level of a relationship".  When we first talked about financials, she suggested 50/50 split of all bills and groceries right off the bat, so I'm not trying to gouge her for money like some people in this thread think.  We both have decent jobs and make the same amount, so 50/50 seems pretty obvious to me.  I guess I'm lucky she wants to split everything, I'll probably just not even mention the property taxes as it's a low amount, it was just an idea that was brought to my attention.  Thanks for all of the replies.  

If I said "hey move in with me", I think I would go along with your thinking more.  It kind of just comes up in conversation after dating a while, more of a mutual idea to "go to the next level of a relationship".  When we first talked about financials, she suggested 50/50 split of all bills and groceries right off the bat, so I'm not trying to gouge her for money like some people in this thread think.  We both have decent jobs and make the same amount, so 50/50 seems pretty obvious to me.  I guess I'm lucky she wants to split everything, I'll probably just not even mention the property taxes as it's a low amount, it was just an idea that was brought to my attention.  Thanks for all of the replies.  

my money is your money; when it comes to marriage, imo.

so if she doesn't pay anything for the house at the moment, who cares? down the road, the money she saved will become the money you've earned as well. if it doesn't work out, you just chalk it up to a relationship expense. be grateful she insists on splitting things... i don't know what that's like.

my money is your money; when it comes to marriage, imo.

so if she doesn't pay anything for the house at the moment, who cares? down the road, the money she saved will become the money you've earned as well. if it doesn't work out, you just chalk it up to a relationship expense. be grateful she insists on splitting things... i don't know what that's like.

careful with that Paisa.   Your money is hers, but hers is also hers is how they think.

Erb are you ok with her getting 50% of the equity in your paid for house should she decide to leave at some point?

Sounds fair, right?

This is where I think Boat brought up a good point.  Does paying half of property taxes give her any equity in the house, or is it a "fee" like a water bill, sewer fee, etc.  And no, if we ever broke up and weren't married, the house is 100% mine.  Unless I'm missing something.  

careful with that Paisa.   Your money is hers, but hers is also hers is how they think.

yeah, but I get to hold her wallet in my coat or pocket all day at least, so I know she has one, and has money in there, and can buy things if she needs to when she's alone. that's nice... the wallet seems to be locked or as hot as smoldering coal when we are out together though.

as i said, she bought cleaning supplies for my place and then cleaned it... and she bought her plane ticket here last month. can't think of anything else she's ever paid for. uses my uber account even. my amazon. i don't really care but it's funny. at least i control what stores we walk into and will say no to buying some things... so i got that going for me.

This is where I think Boat brought up a good point.  Does paying half of property taxes give her any equity in the house, or is it a "fee" like a water bill, sewer fee, etc.  And no, if we ever broke up and weren't married, the house is 100% mine.  Unless I'm missing something.  

Check your state laws.  You are common law after a certain amount of time living together and then yes she would be entitled to half of any equity gains in the house.

I'm not sure of the laws there but here, once you reside with your partner/lover for a year you are considered married - common law, and usually that means she is entitled to half of the combined assets, ie the house.

You should do some research on how the law in your state would deal with splitting the property in a common law relationship BEFORE you let her move in or it could be a very expensive lesson.

I think one of the biggest mistakes young men make diving head first into a relationshp with a woman is that they don't consider that who she is now and how she thinks/behaves could possibly change down the road at some point and you will not like each other very much. This has happened countless times. Men who thought their wives were sweet innocent creatures got a rude wake up call once the honeymoon was over.

yeah, but I get to hold her wallet in my coat or pocket all day at least, so I know she has one, and has money in there, and can buy things if she needs to when she's alone. that's nice... the wallet seems to be locked or as hot as smoldering coal when we are out together though.

as i said, she bought cleaning supplies for my place and then cleaned it... and she bought her plane ticket here last month. can't think of anything else she's ever paid for. uses my uber account even. my amazon. i don't really care but it's funny. at least i control what stores we walk into and will say no to buying some things... so i got that going for me.

Be careful, man.  You're setting yourself up to get fucked over.

Be careful, man.  You're setting yourself up to get fucked over.

eh, not really. i would insist on paying regardless.

she doesn't use uber when she's not with me/visiting me. she doesn't buy things with my credit card on amazon when they are for her; she buys them herself and just uses my prime account. 

i'm old fashion in terms of paying; i've paid for pretty much every date in my life even if the other person insisted over and over.