2015 Australian Open [News and Selections]

yisman

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Nadal, Dimitrov and Raonic going on the mens

Sharapova Genie, Aza and Venus going on the womens

Not loving my mens choices right now. Think its between Novak and Murray to win. Nadal's best seems good enough to win but not sure he will be consistent enough once he runs into top players for three straight rounds.

Liking my womens choices though and they are worth more. I think Azarenka will beat Serena in that quarter. Kvitova actually scares me more than Serena right now.

Venus got herself into serious trouble down 6-4, 5-3 against Giorgi tonight but dominated after that winning the second set in a breaker and then cruising to a 6-1 third set. Giorgi got broken at love serving for the match

For the second straight match Muguruza went to a third set and won it at love.

Serena just lost the opening set vs Svitolina but is already up an early break in the second set. Regardless of the outcome of that match (still most likely a Serena win) she is nowhere near as scary right now as she has been for the past few years

Man Genie is playing some kind of wicked tennis right now. She made three semis last year in the GS's but this is the best ive seen her play. She is getting to everything and hits aggressive offensive shots from defensive positions.

I have both her and Sharapova and when i saw the draw i kind of assumed Maria winning that quarter would be best for me since shed likely have the best shot of winning the tourney from that position, but now im not so sure that Genie isn't a better bet to take out Halep/Makarova and then whoever she faces in the finals.

Not expecting any surprises tonight, really.

Joker, Wawrinka, and Raonic should advance. The most competitive match might be Ferrer vs. Nishikori

Ferrer probably exhausted after his last match. Nishikori has Ferrer's number, though, and has won four in a row against him.

what's the though? Sounds like everything in Nishikori's favor there

Really good matches tonight probably aside from the Andy/Kyrgios match. Murray should cruise there, can't see Kyrgios giving him any issues unless Andy starts poorly and lets the crowd rile him up

Nadal/Berdych is interesting. Berdych has looked really good this tourney. He is holding serve easily and putting good pressure on his opponent with his return. There was talk that he worked extremely hard in the off season after seeing guys like Wawa, Cilic and Kei make the jump to contender/champion last year. He wanted to join that group. Nadal probably still not 100% but has looked damn good in most of his matches. He wont get away with inconsistent play tonight though but i still think Nadal takes it.

Nadal said at the beginning he wasn't a contender for this tourney but at this point i dont buy it. He can beat anyone in the world at his best, even Novak.

Womens matchups are outstanding. Four women all in great form and all have played exceptional tennis to reach this point. I think one of Makarova or Genie will pull the upset.

Halep getting steamrolled by Makarova

what a run for Makarova

she's never done anything like this before

She was in the semi finals of the US Open just last year. Also made that semis without losing a single set, just like this tournament

Actually has quite a decent track record of doing well in grand slams.

But what a disappointing match. Im happy since i have Halep final ranking for the season over 3.5 and she sure as hell didn't look like a top 3 player in the world today,but as a fan that wasn't enjoyable at all to watch

Makarova played well but even she didn't put on some dominating performance that nobody could touch. She was just good, while Halep was awful and gave up early.

Hopefully Genie/Sharapova is a better watch

I was going to back Berdych but decided against it. That means he'll probably win. LOL

He's capable of beating Nadal in this spot, but I don't like the way the pressure gets to him. When the going gets tough, he's not able to take it to another level... he just collapses.

Plus, Nadal's head-to-head edge of 20-3 can't be overlooked.

makarova about to reach her career high ranking. She had never reached the semis of the AO until this year. I didn't realize she had gotten to the semis of the USO

Halep won't finish ranked top 3 but to me she is a top 3 player

Depends. I can buy her as a top 3 if the criteria is consistency. That is how she finished last season ranked 3rd, very consistent all year going deep into tournaments and doing well in the slams.

But i definitely think there are more than three women whos best is better than Haleps best. Serena, Sharapova, Azarenka, Kvitova, Bouchard i think all have a better top form than Halep. Genie struggled with consistency last year outside of the slams (hence why she reached the semis in 3 of 4 slams but only finished ranked 7th- didnt do well in a lot of the bigger non slams). Azarenka was hurt and pretty much had a throwaway season. Kvitova is a little inconsistent also but showed how great she can be at her best at Wimbledon. Halep is probably stronger across all courts though.

Another quick match with Sharapova just winning. This match was better though. Genie didnt play her best but didnt play terribly either. Sharapova was just awesome, as she has been every match outside of the Panova match.