Welcoming party in Jaco...

MonkeyF0cker

Arrived in Jaco, CR just in time to be greeted by a 6.9 earthquake.

Right next to the epicenter.

A 6.9-magnitude earthquake shook Costa Rica at 8:28 pm, with an epicenter approximately 15 km southwest of the Central Pacific beach town of Esterillos, according to the National University’s Volcanological and Seismological Observatory of Costa Rica (OVISCORI).

Tico Times readers reported feeling the quake very strongly in the Central Valley, where buildings swayed and some residents headed out into the streets, and as far away as Puerto Viejo de Limón on the opposite coast. Readers in Guanacaste who sent comments immediately following the quake said they felt little to no effects.

A reader in the Jacó area, near the epicenter of the major quake and two aftershocks, said that people there had reported artwork and other objects falling from the walls and breaking. A reader from Playa Hermosa, even closer to the epicenter, reported that while the experience was certainly terrifying, electricity was still on and no damage was visible from her vantage point.

The Costa Rican Red Cross indicated on its Facebook page at approximately 9:15 pm that it had not received reports of any serious injuries or damage by that time, but that it was monitoring the situation.

The daily La Nación reported that firefighters were reviewing the Mall San Pedro in San José, apparently for signs of any quake-related damage, but the specific reasons for their presence are not clear at this time.

http://www.ticotimes.net/2017/11/12/strong-earthquake-on-costa-ricas-central-pacific-is-felt-across-country

That's crazy. Describe the experience.

Pretty intense.  That was the first time I've ever been in an earthquake.  It felt a little bit like you were standing on top of a mechanical bull.  Started for about 5 seconds then stopped and started again for about another 20 seconds.  I was seated at a table at a restaurant in town called the Green Room when it started.  I just kind of froze and rode it out.  People were panicking and most ran outside though.  Two people died in town - both from heart attacks.

One of my friends lives in a 9th floor condo here had her bookcase fall over and plates, glasses, etc fall out of the cupboard and shatter on the floor.

When I got back to my place, a couple of vases and my toothbrush fell over.  My neighbors were all outside I guess and they said they could see the mountain moving.  Pretty incredible.  Wish I would have been at my place instead.

There was apparently a decent sized aftershock at 2AM, but that one I slept through.

They are supposedly forecasting another decent sized quake in the next 11 days here.

Pretty intense.  That was the first time I've ever been in an earthquake.  It felt a little bit like you were standing on top of a mechanical bull.  Started for about 5 seconds then stopped and started again for about another 20 seconds.  I was seated at a table at a restaurant in town called the Green Room when it started.  I just kind of froze and rode it out.  People were panicking and most ran outside though.  Two people died in town - both from heart attacks.

One of my friends lives in a 9th floor condo here had her bookcase fall over and plates, glasses, etc fall out of the cupboard and shatter on the floor.

When I got back to my place, a couple of vases and my toothbrush fell over.  My neighbors were all outside I guess and they said they could see the mountain moving.  Pretty incredible.  Wish I would have been at my place instead.

There was apparently a decent sized aftershock at 2AM, but that one I slept through.

They are supposedly forecasting another decent sized quake in the next 11 days here.

Describe the experience.