TGF Red Wine Thread

rdalert447

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thread recommendation summary with info and comments from Vivino. 

Napa Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon

Napa Valley·United States

Average rating 3.8(7257 ratings)

Average price $24.99

Winery-Napa Cellars

Grapes-Cabernet Sauvignon · Cabernet Franc · Merlot · Petit Verdot

Region-Napa Valley

Regional styles-Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

Food pairing- Beef · Lamb · Game (deer, venison) · Mature and hard cheese · Poultry

-Nice light cab, too simplistic for heavy or spicy foods but easily drinkable.
-This Cab has a vivid Ruby color with aromas of sweet dark fruit and baking spices. On the palate the ripe fruit takes over, cherry, blackberry, blueberry and toss in some currants and a touch of pepper hits. The wine shows good balance with acidity and fine tannins. This Full body wine had a nice long finish. Great value.

Bodega del Fin del Mundo Reserva Pinot Noir

Patagonia·Argentina

Average rating 3.4(3835 ratings)

Average price $16.99

Winery-Bodega del Fin del Mundo

Grapes-Pinot Noir

Region-Patagonia

Regional styles-Argentinian Pinot Noir

Food pairing-Beef · Veal · Game (deer, venison) · Poultry

-Creamy chocolate mouse and caramel with a hickory white pepper glaze and redcurrants. Earthy ripening plums begin to emerge over time. On the palate there is a rich, robust mouthfeel, with more of that hickory smoke coming to play, accompanied by red and black meadow brambles, brown sugar and a kick of tannin spice that fades in a welcomed long finish.

-Typical ruby colour, as a regular Pinot Noir. 12 months in french and American oak barrels, leads to an pleasant elixir. Unctuosity and elegance. Paired with Gnocchi in funghi sauce.

Apothic Red

California·United States

Average rating 3.7(73662 ratings)

Average price $9.99

Winery-Apothic

Grapes-Shiraz/Syrah · Cabernet Sauvignon · Merlot · Zinfandel

Region-California

Regional styles-Californian Red Blend

Food pairing-Beef · Lamb · Veal · Poultry

-Our "every day" wine. The wine version of comfy jeans. Priced right, easy drinking red. Pairs well with most American cuisine, from a burger to a steak.

-Love this blend. Great table wine. Nice for cooking. Not oaky

Robert Mondavi Private Selection Merlot

Central Coast·United States

Average rating 3.4(6203 ratings)

Average price $8.99

Winery-Robert Mondavi Private Selection

Grapes-Merlot

Region-Central Coast

Regional styles-Californian Merlot

Food pairing-Beef · Lamb · Veal

-Dark, rich prune colors and long, sprawling legs grace a nose of acidic red fruits that all but stings. Seriously, the legs are amazing, charging casually in waves. Big body, full of flavor; mild spices, cinnamon, & underripe red fruits such as tart cranberry, early cherries, even some crabapple. Not overly complex, but still a pleasing wine. I would venture to guess that age will do this wine some good, though for now pair with black pepper duck in cranberry sauce or else perhaps venison to get creative.

Marchesi Antinori Tignanello

Toscana·Italy

Average rating 4.4(53359 ratings)

Average price $109.99

Winery-Marchesi Antinori

Grapes-Cabernet Sauvignon · Cabernet Franc · Merlot ·Sangiovese

Region-Toscana

Regional styles-Tuscan Red

Food pairing-Beef · Lamb · Veal · Poultry · Cured Meat

-This was my first Tig and while wine wasn't exactly the focus at this point it was clear that this is structured and needs more time, but delicious nonetheless. All dark fruit with some earthy, and leathery notes, reminded me of a Flaccianello.

I will seek out more for my cellar

-Dried cranberries meet some black pepper and cedar wood in the nose. Eucalyptus and black tea leaves, some liquorice and cinnamon. Quite complex with lots of fruits and herbs. Supersmooth tannins and intense mouthfeel. Black pepper returns at the palate. Sour cherries and sandalwood. Black tea.

Blackstone Merlot

California·United States

Average rating 3.8(12 ratings)

Average price $8.56

Winery-Blackstone

Grapes-Merlot

Region-California

-Easy drinking, well balanced, fruity

-I had this with a steak at a restaurant. Nose of cherry and berry. Cherry and chocolate notes with oak. Dry smooth finish!

-Delicious flavors, earthy and nice with pasta

Emmolo Merlot

Average rating 4.3(5371 ratings)

Average price $55.99

Winery-Emmolo

Grapes-Merlot

Region-Napa Valley

-Deep and dark, rich and robust, thus Merlot boasts a beast of a nose that I can only define as powerful. Somehow, in spite of the sheer strength of this wine, it manages a delicate, soft warmth upon the palate. Lush, overripe plums, tobacco, soft leather, mild spices and more abound. Gentle on the finish. This is truly a beautiful, stand alone wine. I thoroughly enjoyed and highly recommend it. Cheers friends!

-Mmm, I'm a sucker for merlot. Needless to say, this wine was wonderful-- silky smooth, soft berry flavors, vanilla, with just a delicate touch of backbone.

Stags' Leap The Investor Red

Average rating 4.2(1927 ratings)

Average price $49.99

Winery-Stags' Leap

Grapes-Cabernet Sauvignon · Merlot · Petite Sirah

Region-Napa Valley

Regional styles-Californian Red Blend

Food pairing-Beef · Lamb · Veal · Poultry

-Delightful blend of Petite Syrah, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon that reaps the rewards of a killer Napa vintage.
Fruit forward and packed with brambles and black currants, offset by firm tannins that set up a generous finish of spice and fading fruit.
Paired really well with some mildly spicy veggie enchiladas and some after dinner cambazola cheese. That said it didn't work at all with the more acidic blues from Stilton and St Agur. 
Nice change from my usual monster blends!

-Pretty in...purple. Wow is it purple, through and through.Nose of blackberry and cedar with a fade of leather.Opening of black fruit favoring black cherry with tobacco and sweet peppers.Medium bodied and average acidity with bold complex tannins that emerge respectfully and linger long.
This has potential to reach 5 stars when at its peak. Lay it down 10 years to achieve perfection.

Michael David The Seven Deadly Zins Old Vine Zinfandel

Lodi·United States

Average rating 3.8(26406 ratings)

Average price $15.99

Winery-Michael David

Grapes-Zinfandel

Region-Lodi

Regional styles-Californian Zinfandel

Food pairing-Beef · Lamb · Poultry

-Good Rich flavors of cherry and plum. Finishes with a nice spice compliment. Goes greatly itself!

-A very nice, affordable wine.

3 Blind Moose Cabernet Sauvignon

California·United States

Average rating 2.9(394 ratings)

Average price $11.24

Winery-3 Blind Moose

Grapes-Cabernet Sauvignon

Region-California

Regional styles-Californian Cabernet Sauvignon

Food pairing-Beef · Lamb · Game (deer, venison) · Poultry

-Too much! Spicey weirdness to cover up the cheapy taste. Look elsewhere, even for value wine.

-Dry, hints of plum

Good plunk

Michael David Windmill Estates Old Vine Zinfandel

Lodi·United States

Average rating 3.7(384 ratings)

Average price $13.14

Winery-Michael David

Grapes-Zinfandel

Region-Lodi

-Yes, Yes, oh Yes. I'm sorry, a little Harry met Sally moment. Fantastic wine.

Now I must rest, and smoke a cigarette.Great for the $$

-Big and fruity. Acidic. Lovely finish! I like it!

Liberty School Cabernet Sauvignon

Paso Robles·United States

Average rating 3.8(13980 ratings)

Average price $14.97

Winery-Liberty School

Grapes-Cabernet Sauvignon

Region-Paso Robles

-Good standard cab. Not too complicated. pretty good value. Great with a steak. We sell a lot to my store.

-One of my favourite regions. Black cherry flavours... Acidic and nice legs.... Like how it lingers on the tongue. Kid free night out...

-The 'Under <10' Cabernet Series: The 2010 Cabernet Sauvignon opens with aromas of black cherry, plum and violets, followed by subtle flavors of strawberry and allspice. Firm yet supple tannins finish off this approachable fruit-driven Cabernet Sauvignon, making it ideal for a variety of food pairings.

La Vieille Ferme Rouge

Rhone Valley·France

Average rating 3.4(17469 ratings)

Average price $7.99

Winery-La Vieille Ferme

Grapes-Shiraz/Syrah · Grenache · Carignan · Cinsault

Region-Rhone Valley

Regional styles-Southern Rhône Red

Food pairing-Beef · Lamb · Game (deer, venison)

-Great value French table wine. I used to think it was flabby & lacked character.Now I appreciate its subtlety & balance. Classic Rhone blend, by a family that makes some of the best out there. Smooth & creamy like Rhone reds should be. You can't expect the world at $13, but this puts most other wines at this price point to shame.

Pair with almost anything. Rock on

-About as good as it gets for the price (about $22 for a 3 liter box at Whole Foods).

-Extra half star for value if you buy the boxed version which is usually about $20 for 3L. Cherry, berry and some acid to balance our this medium bodied red from Ventoux. On the finish tannins give a little grip. This is the kind of wine that makes me think that if I ever open a bistro this will be my house wine. Very approachable and has enough complexity to make it interesting.

Willamette Valley Vineyards Whole Cluster Pinot Noir

Willamette Valley·United States

Average rating 4.1(3513 ratings)

Average price $22.49

Winery-Willamette Valley Vineyards

Grapes-Pinot Noir

Region-Willamette Valley

Regional styles-Oregon Pinot Noir

Food pairing-Beef · Veal · Game (deer, venison) · Poultry

-Wonderful Pinot!

-Nose of overripe cherry and hints of oak. In the mouth, very clean and fresh fruit. Cherry, notes of raspberry and fresh herbs. Superb oak integration. Fruit with very fleshy mouthfeel. Looong finish with spicyness and cherry.

Expressive, fruity PN, yet incredibly elegant. One of the best I have had. Difficult to describe how good this one is.

-Smooth and easy, big flavor, elegant, dark cherry with some blueberry, moderate acidity. Went exceptionally well with flat iron steak, defiantly one to have on standby at dinner or at a party

-Just bottled and youthful, but this is a wine with substance and promise. The body, texture, and fruit of a good Carneros, with the spice and depth of a good Pommard. My cellar will welcome more bottles of this!

Justin Cabernet Sauvignon

Paso Robles·United States

Average rating 4.1(16545 ratings)

Average price $24.99

Winery-Justin

Grapes-Cabernet Sauvignon · Carménère

Region-Paso Robles

-Interesting wine. Nose seems like Pinot Noir. Fruity flavors. Perfect to share between Pinot Noir and Cabernet Savignon fans.

Beautiful, silky smooth Cab with subtle finish and complex flavors (dark cherry, blackberry...without being jammy), low tannins. One of the nicest Cabs tasted in this price range.

-Bold dark fruit on the nose, and palate. Vanilla, cherry, chocolate...lots going on. Medium acid, smooth texture, short finish.

Yum I would recommend this one.

Diseño Old Vine Malbec

Mendoza·Argentina

Average rating 3.6(10012 ratings)

Average price $9.99

Winery-Diseño

Grapes-Malbec

Region-Mendoza

Regional styles-Argentinian Malbec

-Nice malbec for the price.

-Aromas of berry vanilla with flavors of wildflowers, cedar, vanilla and spice.

-Many reviewers commented on its fruit forwardness, but I cannot really distinguish any. Yes, this is smooth and yes, this is simple and uncomplicated, but I would have liked to have experienced more juiciness and distinct fruit flavors. I may have given it 4 had I been a bit more complex in that regard.

Trader Joe's Petite Sirah Grower's Reserve

California·United States

Average rating 3.4(426 ratings)

Average price $5.99

Winery-Trader Joe's

Grapes-Petite Sirah

Region-California

Regional styles-Californian Petite Sirah

Food pairing-Beef · Lamb · Game (deer, venison)

-It's by far the best $5 wine I've had so far from TJ's. Super tannic but that actually is good considering the sweetness factor, it actually opens a little with time so whether or not you're a "chugger" or sipper this wine holds up. Let's put it this way, until I win the lottery you need a go to. So go to it!

Still over performing for the price. The only bad part is that this is our last bottle. ~ (previous) Think what you would like about cheap wines from Trader Joe's, but this is a true bargain. Once we tried this we went back for more only to find it was sold out. We were finally able to stock up and it has been a go-to favorite since. It tastes far more expensive than $5.50 a bottle.

-Color is dark purple / Inky with a purplish rim. Nice on the nose with dark berries, Figs, plums and spices.

Medium to full bodied and gorgeous long legs feature this Petite Syrah.

Fruity on the palate, with blueberries, figs, plums, mulberries, oak, some vanilla, black pepper and spice box.

Long finish with firm tannins, (after an hour of decanting) which makes the experience last longer.

Made with organic grapes, 13% alcohol by volume.

Bogle Old Vine Zinfandel

California·United States

Average rating 3.7(12847 ratings)

Average price $10.99

Winery-Bogle

Grapes-Zinfandel

Region-California

-Bold & spicy. Good zin

-A powerful and intense nose of perfumed red fruit, white pepper, dried spices and leather. The palate is more brooding, packed with tarte dark fruit: blackcurrant and black cherry predominantly, a sweet thread of vanillin runs throughout adding an enticing sweetness, the finish awash with pepper and tones of bitter liquorice.

-Medium to full bodied, medium plus acidity, pronounced aroma and flavour intensity, slightly unrefined chalky tannins and an under average finish the only letdown.

-For The Money You can't beat It. Wonderful Vibrant Bouquet on The Nose Is Equally As Pleasing To Taste. Smokey, Peppery, Fruit Driven Lush & Silky Smooth.

It's been very interesting reading about all the different wines. I'd like to try several of the ones listed here. I looked at some with my wife tonight. I think she will more likely enjoy white wines. She had White Zinfandel at a conference she went to with me and liked it. Looking at the differences and profiles, I think Chardonnay will be what she likes best. 

Once the holidays are over, I'd like to set aside a little dough and try a few of these on the weekends. I've been looking at some variety packs that have all the different reds and whites. I found some that run about $100 or so for 6-7 bottles. 

JD, love the Fin Del Mundo pinot noir. They also offer up a great Malbec as well. Look for two wines from El Principal vineyards out of Chile. The first is El Principal. 90 something % Cab. Closest I've found to Napa Cabs. The 2nd is a blend. Memorias. Both excellent buys if you can find them.

The last couple of days I have read through some wine forums/discussions, articles, and this thread and here is what I have found from several places that were recommended red wines, mostly under $25. I did the best I could with my limited knowledge to categorize them properly. I don't know if these are commonly available or what. I just thought I'd share. I have a list of white wines and rose, too, but figured rdalert wanted to keep this thread to reds. 

red_wines.jpg

Even if I end up not liking any of the wines once I get to try them, it's been very interesting reading about everything. There are a few documentaries on Netflix that were pretty good to watch. 

Decanted 

Sour Grapes

Somm

Somm-Into the Bottle 

All of those were pretty good.