Rodent Infestation in Champaign, Illinois!

Jimmy Hoffa

Rat concerns out of control

By: Anna Carrera

Posted: Jan 6, 2018 06:53 PM CST

Updated: Jan 6, 2018 06:53 PM CST

CHAMPAIGN -URBANA, Ill. -- People have been on the lookout for large hordes of rats on Thursday. That's because a woman at a neighborhood safety task force meeting said she saw thousands of them near her home. She was worried the city might have an unprecedented rodent problem. City leaders say it seems to be a localized problem near a section 8 development, but they've been looking into it today just to be sure.

It's easy to see the nice homes in the Champaign neighborhood, but people were worried about an issue you may not always be able to spot.

"One of the members is from a Champaign Neighborhood and she said that she had a large rat problem in her house," said Urbana Mayor Laurel Prussing.

Neighborhood leaders say they've been asking people who live around there all day if they've seen them too. The answer from people who responded was a pretty solid yes.

"In this neighborhood, I haven't seen many cats but many, many rats," said Mitchell Whalen, who lives in the area. "I've been living here for about five months and I have seen an abnormal amount of rats, so I think there's a big problem."

Some raised the question of whether fewer cats in the area meant there may be more rats. But Prussing says that doesn't seem to be the case either.

"Sometimes there are rats that get into the storm sewers and when they get a complaint, they send out someone to put bait there," said Prussing. "But I said, 'how would you characterize it?' and they said it would be minimal. We have a huge problem."

The cat question came up because of an ordinance about the animals. But Prussing says that ordinance is lenient and shouldn't have contributed to people seeing any more rats in the area.

Prussing mentioned they also had a turkey infestation once, but they were able to take care of that.

Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Rat concerns out of control

By: Anna Carrera

Posted: Jan 6, 2018 06:53 PM CST

Updated: Jan 6, 2018 06:53 PM CST

CHAMPAIGN -URBANA, Ill. -- People have been on the lookout for large hordes of rats on Thursday. That's because a woman at a neighborhood safety task force meeting said she saw thousands of them near her home. She was worried the city might have an unprecedented rodent problem. City leaders say it seems to be a localized problem near a section 8 development, but they've been looking into it today just to be sure.

It's easy to see the nice homes in the Champaign neighborhood, but people were worried about an issue you may not always be able to spot.

"One of the members is from a Champaign Neighborhood and she said that she had a large rat problem in her house," said Urbana Mayor Laurel Prussing.

Neighborhood leaders say they've been asking people who live around there all day if they've seen them too. The answer from people who responded was a pretty solid yes.

"In this neighborhood, I haven't seen many cats but many, many rats," said Mitchell Whalen, who lives in the area. "I've been living here for about five months and I have seen an abnormal amount of rats, so I think there's a big problem."

Some raised the question of whether fewer cats in the area meant there may be more rats. But Prussing says that doesn't seem to be the case either.

"Sometimes there are rats that get into the storm sewers and when they get a complaint, they send out someone to put bait there," said Prussing. "But I said, 'how would you characterize it?' and they said it would be minimal. We have a huge problem."

The cat question came up because of an ordinance about the animals. But Prussing says that ordinance is lenient and shouldn't have contributed to people seeing any more rats in the area.

Prussing mentioned they also had a turkey infestation once, but they were able to take care of that.

Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Explains why he heads to Orleans, MICE not as much a MENACE as gigantic RATS in restaurants.