Sports Card Collectors/Autographs

Dark Raver Camper

I do have one frank Thomas rookie card which was the error version with no name on the front.

At one time it was worth $500.

Prob $10 now.

But I do remember buying boxes of unopened cards that year with my father for $10. And I opened the card with the No name and I was jusmping up and down.

Good times

Now me and my father collect empty beer cans

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol I doubt anyone in the fucking world has a complete set with every card autographed

It’s really, real, and you’d be surprised how many people try it, and accomplish it.

I think the one mlb player, the relief pitcher, Pat Nesehatever, now on the Phillies, collects graphs, and is trying or has a complete set signed. Like an 80 or 90’s set:

BAUS, you seem knowledgeable and may appreciate my misfortunes.

I traded the kid across the street the Nintendo game operation wolf, for a 62 or 63 Mets ball signed by the “team”. I say team because I never cross referenced each sig on the ball, but it was filled.

Official Spaulding ball, Stengel on the sweet spot, Gil Hodges, and whoever else. Not faded.,I sold it for about $200 in the late 90’s.

I wish I had that still. It was a nice one.

And I bet the kid with the Operation Wolf game is kicking himself even more.

BAUS

I remember buying wax boxes at Price Club (now Costco) in 1990. They were like $15.

Was like fucking Christmas opening those things.

Used to think I hit the jackpot when I would hit a Ken Griffey Jr. That one card isn't even worth that these days.

Griffey UD rookie was 90$... father wouldn’t buy it for me.. but I’m like 96 he found an unopened box of 89 IpeerDeck at a card show. No clue what he paid but gave it to me for Xmas. Figuring I’d get at least one Griffey rookie.

I got zero..

Was so disappointed. To this day it’s the only baseball card I want.

Griffey UD rookie was 90$... father wouldn’t buy it for me.. but I’m like 96 he found an unopened box of 89 IpeerDeck at a card show. No clue what he paid but gave it to me for Xmas. Figuring I’d get at least one Griffey rookie.

I got zero..

Was so disappointed. To this day it’s the only baseball card I want.

I had an '89 UD Griffey at one time.  Traded it for something.  No clue what.

UD became the go to at that time.  Made Topps, Donruss, and Fleer basically trash. 

Sold about 30k commons to a card shop in the mid 90's for like $20.

Still have a couple of single row boxes.  A couple of albums.  And a box full of screwed down single framed cards.

All in all, probably worth $500 if I was to guess.   Invested much more than that 25 years ago.  

What a joke when looking back from an investment standpoint.  Was fun though.  

Cards are def not all worthless although many of the runs between say 89 - 2000 are limited in value now.  The new generation of cards which is now more auto and subset driven is def holding in value. 

Doing case breaks is the new fad and has really brought life back to card collecting over last 4-5 yrs. 

I buy Diabler Jr. card packs to put in his stocking every Christmas.  Crazy I have to pay like $4 for a pack of 5 fucking cards.

He got an autographed one this year.  No clue who the player was though.  Some basketball pack. 

I buy Diabler Jr. card packs to put in his stocking every Christmas.  Crazy I have to pay like $4 for a pack of 5 fucking cards.

He got an autographed one this year.  No clue who the player was though.  Some basketball pack. 

Baseball cards hold a lot more value because of the stability in the market and the longevity of the careers.  Players minor league cards have some great value and can really bounce in price as they move up and get closer to the majors. 

Football is more hit and miss same with basketball and it is def more of sell a player while he is hot kind of market. more dangerous to hold on to cards so there is a lot more turnover in those sports.

baseball way more hold and sell later value