Thoughts on the school cop at Parkland

WVU

I was surprised Sheriff Israel called out the school cop publicly, but the guy definitely didn't do his job which was to protect the children.  I wonder what the parents and teachers reaction to that will be.  Lawsuits against the school district and the police department?

I would like to hear the forum's thoughts.  

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was surprised Sheriff Israel called out the school cop publicly, but the guy definitely didn't do his job which was to protect the children. I wonder what the parents and teachers reaction to that will be. Lawsuits against the school district and the police department?

I would like to hear the forum's thoughts.

You have to do something. Get to a phone. Dive in front of bullets. Try and get kids out safe.

SOMETHING!

He cowered and hid.

exactly.  What percent of school cops would have done the same thing?  I'm guessing 50%

Yea but this wasn't like a mall cop.  He was an actual cop that they rotate through schools.   They haven't said how far away he was from the shooting, but he really should be running there as fast as possible and either stopping the shooter or dying.

I'm a little conflicted here.

Yes, this guy accepted a job where he has a handgun and certain responsibilities.  The sheriff states that the school officer was supposed to rush into the school rather than taking up a defensive position outside the school.  The sheriff also says that from now on, school officers will carry AR-15s.  This school officer only had a handgun - so the sheriff is admitting the school cop was under-armed.

But, the first officers to arrive at an active shooter inside a building do not rush in guns ablazing in other such incidents.  How long did the shooting go on in Orlando before swat went in? 

Maybe the rules of engagement are different for school shootings and nightclub shootings?  But, it seems that the first cops on the scene do take up defensive positions until SWAT teams arrive.

Before I condemn this guy for not going on a suicide mission, I'd like to know just what his "responsibilities" were when he signed-up for the job.  What exactly was he trained to do in this situation.  The sheriff says he was supposed to run in.  IF I were given a handgun and told that I must rush in and confront an unknown number of assailants who have AR-15s while only given a pistol - I would not accept that job. 

( I see rdalert just picked up on this topic.)

Yea but this wasn't like a mall cop.  He was an actual cop that they rotate through schools.   They haven't said how far away he was from the shooting, but he really should be running there as fast as possible and either stopping the shooter or dying.

He was in an office when he got the alert.  He then ran to the outside corner of the building where the shooter was, and stayed there for about 4 minutes of the 6 minutes of shooting.

So now we know the FBI was notified about actual threats to commit mass murder twice, we know the police visited Cruz's house 39 times, we know many, many students at the school knew something was coming, we know the school administrators banned Cruz from entering with a backpack(hmmm), and finally we know that an armed cop...a cop...not a $10 an hour security guard, was there and didn't even try to intervene.

After all that, the media says it's trumps fault, the NRA's fault, and the guns fault, and instead of perhaps fixing the obvious things that went wrong, everyone in the country should give up their rights? I dont think that's narratives gonna work.

Depends on how he was trained. For many years, the training was to wait for backup to arrive before entering.

!!!!!!!

OK go into hiding and find a safe space. F the kids!

Police didn't enter Columbine for 5 hours.   Which makes all of MF repeated using that example nonsense.

So now we know the FBI was notified about actual threats to commit mass murder twice, we know the police visited Cruz's house 39 times, we know many, many students at the school knew something was coming, we know the school administrators banned Cruz from entering with a backpack(hmmm), and finally we know that an armed cop...a cop...not a $10 an hour security guard, was there and didn't even try to intervene.

After all that, the media says it's trumps fault, the NRA's fault, and the guns fault, and instead of perhaps fixing the obvious things that went wrong, everyone in the country should give up their rights? I dont think that's narratives gonna work.

If this is the conclusion you come to there really is no helping us.