Baseball contest. Contest back on. JD’s integrity still under investigation

Moldoveanu

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol yanks had 13 in bottom 8th. twins put position player into pitch, home run to 14

brutal!

NEW YORK – It’s been a season full of surprises for Ryan LaMarre, starting with beating the odds to make the Twins roster, followed by his hot streak to start the season, and interrupted by an out-of-the-blue, if brief, demotion to the minors. It just got weirder Monday night.

With the Twins trailing the Yankees by 11 runs in the eighth inning, Paul Molitorsignaled for LaMarre to take the mound. Turns out, his “experience” at the position — he pitched one inning for the Red Sox in a similar situation in 2016 — earned him the job.

“It was one of those in-passing conversations. ‘Ah, I saw you had a relief appearance in ’16,’ ” LaMarre recounted of Molitor’s inquiry over the weekend. “ ‘So you’re going to throw strikes and not get hurt if that situation arises?’ ”

LaMarre promised he would, but didn’t expect to be needed so quickly. But when righthander Tyler Kinley retired only one of the six batters he faced in the eighth inning, Molitor made his move. “When I saw Robbie [Grossman] coming to the outfield, I figured it was me heading to the mound,” LaMarre said.

He wound up facing three batters — Aaron Hicks popped up (catcher Jason Castro dropped the ball but threw to second for a forceout), Tyler Austin clobbered a home run to left-center,and Miguel Andujar grounded out — and threw five pitches, all of them between 71 and 75 miles per hour.

What were those pitches? “Just … strikes,” LaMarre shrugged. “Castro wasn’t putting down a sign. It was just a bad situation. Try to throw the ball over the plate, and get some balls hit at people, hopefully. Just try to get out of there and save a couple of arms for tomorrow.”