Trade Wars Ahead

Bimmercando

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trump voters have already said that they'd pay more for goods produced in America.

So we may now see if that is truly the case, as once prices start rising, people may not even remember saying they'd pay more!

That's called inflation and it causes the dollar to plummet and interest rates on Treasury bonds to rise. When a country is $20+ trillion in debt, paying even more for that debt is not a good thing. Ever.

Many countries block our goods from entering by charging high tariffs, while we let their goods in for nothing, it's high time that changes.

You can't put yourself on an island if other countries are taxing your imports or not not honoring intellectual property rights, because you're going to piss off everyone - not just the ones charging tariffs. It becomes you against the world. You have to work with a coalition of trade partners to stop the offending countries from doing that.

We have one of the greatest businessmen in the White House making these decisions so I like our chances of success

This.

For all the drama that he brings, he'll make some great decisions. Of course, a lot of what's being floated will be negotiated down, but.... he knows how to swim with the sharks.

Essential to what?  Nobody is essential.  Not even the President.

I agree, so why are the libs ringing their hands about the possibility that cohn goes?The fact is his job is to advise the president and follow and implement his decisions,

We are far more important to europe for example, than they are to us.

We have to have pushback against all of these other countries to a degree, but we also cannot push them all the way away. 

Just gotta make sure that they fall in line. 

While I expect that we'll get some better trade deals, I think Trump is one to get like maybe a 5 to 10 percent better deal and then trumpet it as "The Greatest Deal Ever."

But don't get me wrong, any amount of better is appreciated. Just again, have to guard against being too aggressive that we cause folks to stay away.