Trade Wars Ahead

Bimmercando

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really.  If you're actually trying to argue that the market isn't concerned about tariffs and that the market would be indifferent to them, you're not going to win.

Most companies are probably opposed to them, whether the "market" is, is a matter of opinion, I know several days ago, actually from last week on when the talk about Cohn leaving started to pick up, the "experts" said that if Cohn left, "the market would respond very, very badly". Well, that didn't happen, did it?

So the experts who follow the market  closer than anyone, made a forecast a few days out and they were wrong, no one knows what's going to happen even 1 day out, let alone a week, month or year.

By the way, I find Fox business to be far superior to CNBC when it comes to overall business/stock programming.

Most companies are probably opposed to them, whether the "market" is, is a matter of opinion, I know several days ago, actually from last week on when the talk about Cohn leaving started to pick up, the "experts" said that if Cohn left, "the market would respond very, very badly". Well, that didn't happen, did it?

So the experts who follow the market  closer than anyone, made a forecast a few days out and they were wrong, no one knows what's going to happen even 1 day out, let alone a week, month or year.

By the way, I find Fox business to be far superior to CNBC when it comes to overall business/stock programming.

Not a fan of Fox Business.  Not enough on-air options talk from what I've seen.  And we always had CNBC on when I worked in the industry.  So, I'm used to it.

The reason everyone was scared to see Cohn go was because he was one of the voices against tariffs and that he would help prevent a trade war.  But the exemptions for Canada and Mexico muted those fears quite a bit after he resigned.

Not a fan of Fox Business.  Not enough on-air options talk from what I've seen.  And we always had CNBC on when I worked in the industry.  So, I'm used to it.

The reason everyone was scared to see Cohn go was because he was one of the voices against tariffs and that he would help prevent a trade war.  But the exemptions for Canada and Mexico muted those fears quite a bit after he resigned.

Cant watch CNBC anymore, cramers a clown, a couple others are way too political, cant stand the najerians. CNBC will keep mentioning the DOW, but without any context, fox will mention it and then flash the screen with every dow stock in red or green, so you can really see what's leading or lagging. Give them a try, you watch it for a week and you wont go back.

Trump is just starting with these tariffs by the way, he's mentioned many times that reciprocal tariffs are coming, where he's gonna target one country at a time that's blocking our products, he'll say so and so, your at 15% and we're at 2, you either go to 2 or we're going to 15.

Cant watch CNBC anymore, cramers a clown, a couple others are way too political, cant stand the najerians. CNBC will keep mentioning the DOW, but without any context, fox will mention it and then flash the screen with every dow stock in red or green, so you can really see what's leading or lagging. Give them a try, you watch it for a week and you wont go back.

Trump is just starting with these tariffs by the way, he's mentioned many times that reciprocal tariffs are coming, where he's gonna target one country at a time that's blocking our products, he'll say so and so, your at 15% and we're at 2, you either go to 2 or we're going to 15.

I've watched it before.  I have any individual stocks or commodities that I'm watching up on my screen.  So, I don't usually care if they show the Dow stocks or not.  CNBC shows a big board with the Dow 30 ordered by leaders/laggards throughout the day.  Usually, I'm not concerned about most of the individual Dow stocks anyway though.

We'll see what happens.  Hopefully, cooler heads will prevail with tariffs.

I hate those clowns on Cnbc that do the noon show where they'll pick their stocks, they're about as accurate as flipping a coin but when they're wrong they'll say "2 days ago i know I said i was buying XYZ, I did but late in the day unwound that position before it fell"...lying bastards.

I hate those clowns on Cnbc that do the noon show where they'll pick their stocks, they're about as accurate as flipping a coin but when they're wrong they'll say "2 days ago i know I said i was buying XYZ, I did but late in the day unwound that position before it fell"...lying bastards.

You mean Fast Money Halftime?  There's a guy on that show named Josh Brown that's pretty sharp actually.  The rest are pretty worthless for advice.  Sometimes, they might just be trying to counter someone's point though.  I like discussions like that though because you can see where some of their logic fails.  I don't care what their records are.  I'd never invest in something just because some guy on TV recommended it.  Always gotta do your own due diligence.

Fast Money after Closing Bell is always a must watch.  Some decent technical analysis and more options talk.  They've been devoting a lot of time to cryptos lately as well.

I expect cooler heads to ultimately prevail, with maybe slight changes here and there. 

I think Trump mainly wants to show that he's taking action, and if so, that could mean that he's willing to take less than stated. 

Either way, most changes need to be incremental. 

I've watched it before.  I have any individual stocks or commodities that I'm watching up on my screen.  So, I don't usually care if they show the Dow stocks or not.  CNBC shows a big board with the Dow 30 ordered by leaders/laggards throughout the day.  Usually, I'm not concerned about most of the individual Dow stocks anyway though.

We'll see what happens.  Hopefully, cooler heads will prevail with tariffs.

usually have bloomberg on,  better than others, have decent eye candy too

They're talking about a Bill to try doing so. 

But....I kinda think it's just talk, as they play Good Cop, Bad Cop really well, yet still do the same stuff..

trump enacted them using his authority under section 632, using national security as the reason, Congress should just do their job and deal with all the other shit they've ignored.

Well yeah, unless a 2/3rd override. Dems would happily go along to spite Trump, no?

Last week when Trump announced the tariffs there was a great outcry from some, saying that the countries most hurt would be Canada, mexico, etc, and trump should instead target china...well, that's pretty much what he did(canada and mexico are not part of the tariffs), now some of them are still whining, they just hate Trump.

Congress can not block trumps tariffs, they could change the law that allows him to do it, and that will never happen, no matter if trump, Obama, or anyone else is president. What's happening is a few senators(like Flake) are seeking attention, like they always do.