Have you done your taxes?

IAG

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was just gonna send mine off this morning.

Using TaxAct.  Going through the review process that is supposed to look for red flags. 

I get asked a question about my 2016 return.  Something about did I itemize or use the standard deduction.  Guess something I answered conflicted.  

I clicked the other answer and hit next.  Fucking thing then said I owed another $300.  Fuck this shit.

I'm starting over from complete scratch with another program this weekend. 

Was just gonna send mine off this morning.

Using TaxAct.  Going through the review process that is supposed to look for red flags. 

I get asked a question about my 2016 return.  Something about did I itemize or use the standard deduction.  Guess something I answered conflicted.  

I clicked the other answer and hit next.  Fucking thing then said I owed another $300.  Fuck this shit.

I'm starting over from complete scratch with another program this weekend. 

it asked you that because you had an arizona refund in 2017... it is taxable if you itemized deductions in 2016 (because you took the deduction for payment, now you pay tax on refund)

it asked you that because you had an arizona refund in 2017... it is taxable if you itemized deductions in 2016 (because you took the deduction for payment, now you pay tax on refund)

This pisses me off.

There is a tax credit deal here in AZ where if you donate up to $400 to a school you can get that 100% back when you file your taxes.  Which I did.  Which is the only reason I got a refund.  

So then pay taxes on something that was owed back to me as a 100% refund?  Bullshit.

Why would that trigger an audit? They will likely get a million returns with disaster write offs.

because it's one of those situations where people write off way more than they should

someone writes off $20k as a casualty loss, that's an easy letter from irs saying show me your out of pocket check stubs, and your homeowners insurance papers showing what your deductible is and an explanation why you didn't turn in an insurance claim for it

because it's one of those situations where people write off way more than they should

someone writes off $20k as a casualty loss, that's an easy letter from irs saying show me your out of pocket check stubs, and your homeowners insurance papers showing what your deductible is and an explanation why you didn't turn in an insurance claim for it[/quotwhat percent of those who take this deduction will be audited do you think?

someone writes off $20k as a casualty loss, that's an easy letter from irs saying show me your out of pocket check stubs, and your homeowners insurance papers showing what your deductible is and an explanation why you didn't turn in an insurance claim for it[/quotwhat percent of those who take this deduction will be audited do you think?

You didn't ask me.  But I think you should take the narrow road.

Regardless of the justification in one's own head, its never a good idea to cheat on taxes.