Have you done your taxes?

IAG

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That garbage above is asking what percent taking this deduction will actually get audited? Again, millions will/should use it.

on average 1 out of every 160 get audited... it all depends on how much of a disaster loss is claimed, what the rest of the return looks like, whether they use a paid preparer, etc...  but apples to apples i would say someone with a 5k+ federal disaster loss (no 10% casualty loss floor) is at least twice as likely to get a letter

Thanks Michael. Sounds about right.

the goofy thing about those losses is that you can add it to the standard deduction, no 10% floor, and you can even amend the prior year's return for a loss that happened in the current year

i have done very few personal federal disaster loss deductions, the ones i've done with recent south carolina/florida hurricane were all business property

I have mine done but they are saying the electronic filing PIN that was mailed to me doesn't match. But it does. Same thing for one of my daughters. Their counter fraud measures are dumb if they don't work.

I've had that problem a bunch.   Can you use your AGI from last year instead?

OK this is weird. I just went and filed an extension through TurboTax. That seemed to go through OK, but then all the sudden there was a big window full of stuff about crypto currency and bitcoin filing..how to calculate etc and so forth. I had not made any reference to crypto per se, nor had I searched their FAQ about it. It was almost like it was a giant warning. Don’t forget to report your BTC capital gains!

Has anyone else filed an extension or filed thru TT and has this happen? I mean the government knows I have bought and sold crypto...and they could associate it with my SS number. Would that information has been passed along to TurboTax , or am I being paranoid?

That was just really bizarre.

IRS must have hacked your ipad, better throw it out.

See I am paranoid. I can’t tell if you’re being serious or not.

From what I have been reading, I wouldn’t rule it out.

Have you done yours yet Rito? I am remembering that Colorado has an automatic extension, and you don’t need to file a form. I hope that is correct. That is how I remember it. I still have to file there.

See I am paranoid. I can’t tell if you’re being serious or not.

From what I have been reading, I wouldn’t rule it out.

How do you done yours yet we don’t? I’m remembering that Colorado has an automatic extension and you don’t need to file a form. I hope that is correct. That is how I remember it. I still have to file there.

Lol I'm joking.

Yea you get an automatic extension in Colorado when you file the Federal extension.   But, obviously still have to pay.  Their website is retarded, have to pre enroll in some payment program or else they wanted to charge me $600 to pay 10k.    Said fuck it and just didn't pay anything yet.

Lol I'm joking.

Yea you get an automatic extension in Colorado when you file the Federal extension. But, obviously still have to pay. Their website is retarded, have to pre enroll in some payment program or else they wanted to charge me $600 to pay 10k. Said fuck it and just didn't pay anything yet.

Ok good thanks.

I won’t owe Colorado that much. Not going to even bother to calculate that until I do my Federal and figure in the rental stuff. Whatever interest they charge won’t be much. I did pay the Fed today along with my extension. TurboTax is saying that extension is waiting to be approved. I thought it was an automatic deal. I’m screwed if they reject extension app. No way I’m doing these in the next 24 hours.