Have you done your taxes?

IAG

My brother’s are like 25k in MN. That seems ridiculous. I thought Minnesota had a really high property tax, but I guess he just has a big house. ..

Mine are about 2800 here and 1000 in Colorado...might be more in Colo now..I forget...pay those in January and SD in April and October. My townhome is probably worth 260k also so Colo must have very low rates. House here guessing anywhere 190-210.

25 k would be a 1.5 million house, my sisters house is worth about 550K and hers are maybe 7K. MN prop taxes are ok, much cheaper than wisconsin, but our income taxes are high, the refund system is great, it's not just for low income people, you can get a refund with incomes well into the 80-90K range. obviously taxes are not uniform either, the same house might be $1000 higher or lower depending on the city and school district.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Property taxes have begun to piss me off ever since I started listening to Wade’s rhetoric on the subject. Especially since I don’t have kids, and most of the funds from property taxes go to the schools.

And I know education is important. And teachers are underpaid. I just prefer to do things voluntarily than having the state force me into it.

Single people without kids get screwed all around on taxes. Married couples (and even single parents) with kids pay less in income taxes as well - all while using more resources.

25 k would be a 1.5 million house, my sisters house is worth about 550K and hers are maybe 7K. MN prop taxes are ok, much cheaper than wisconsin, but our income taxes are high, the refund system is great, it's not just for low income people, you can get a refund with incomes well into the 80-90K range. obviously taxes are not uniform either, the same house might be $1000 higher or lower depending on the city and school district.

Well that’s about right...might be a little low actually. Very nice place.

I just know I was shocked after moving from Colorado to South Dakota when the tax bill came....but it’s all good...no use complaining...esp when no state income tax....although like I said, usually doesn’t help me much these days.

Single people without kids get screwed all around on taxes. Married couples (and even single parents) with kids pay less in income taxes as well - all while using more resources.

We really should get rid of all the kids and the resources they consume.  Imagine the surplus.  Would be a helluva 50 year run.  

Haha.

It's an issue of fairness. Not sure why I should have to subsidize someone else's choice to have children.

Not to mention incentivizing population growth on an overpopulated planet...

The world population is about 7.5 billion, I've seen estimates that in the year 2200 it might be 2-3 billion, and in 2300 around 1 billion, think about that. This is based on the theory that fertility will continue to decline and remain so, right now most of the developed world is below the break even fertility # of a little over 2 babies per woman.

Imagine what a world built for 8 or 9 billion people would look like with only 1 billion around?

The world population is about 7.5 billion, I've seen estimates that in the year 2200 it might be 2-3 billion, and in 2300 around 1 billion, think about that. This is based on the theory that fertility will continue to decline and remain so, right now most of the developed world is below the break even fertility # of a little over 2 babies per woman.

Imagine what a world built for 8 or 9 billion people would look like with only 1 billion around?

Slowing opulation growth is not negative population growth.

Day of reckoning. I think I’ve procrastinated to the last possible moment. See you guys this weekend. Going to try to stay away til taxes done (we will see) Hopefully I did more than I remember last April when I had to do estimation. but can’t remember. Wish me luck.