Marcus Mariota & Jameis Winston (The First Three Years)

Mike75

Both Marcus Mariota and Jameis Winston came into the NFL in the 2015 Draft as 1st round picks and were the first two players picked as both Tampa Bay and Tennessee needed QB's.

Well i am on twitter and there is one of these damn debates again about who is better Winston or Mariota. It really shouldn't be a contest anymore especially considering Mariota has led his team to a better record every year and lead his team not only to the postseason but the biggest come from behind road win in NFL history.

Anyway i was really shocked at how much bigger Mariota's list of accomplishments were than Winston's but you will see when you look below at the list...............

Both Mariota and Winston have played 3 years. They played each other in their first game as rookies and Mariota set or broke a shitload of records as well as blowing Winston and the Bucs out.

Let’s compare Mariota/Winston and see who is really better….

I would be shocked if i was a Winston supporter and saw how much better Mariota was than Winston. Look below at the accomplishments. NFL Record breaking ones.

Lets look at Mariota’s accomplishments first……………………..

Mariota led the Titans to a better record every year in each of his first three seasons leading his team to 3-13, 9-7, 9-7 (playoff berth wild card playoff win)

Jameis led the Bucs to 6-10, 9-7 and 5-11 records and no playoffs yet.

Over 3 seasons Mariota led his team every year to a better record than the year before and led his team to the playoffs and then led his team to the biggest comeback in NFL history for a road team.

Meanwhile Winston did the opposite and went from 9-7 to 5-11 and got worse and has never made the postseason prolonging the agony for fans who have not been to the playoffs in 11 years since 2007.

Mariota led the NFL with five 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives the most of any NFL QB in 2017. Meanwhile Winston did the opposite and lost six games that were all by 5 points or less

In his three year career Mariota has eight 4th quarter comebacks and nine game winning drives.

Then if that isn’t enough you also have the blowout loss that Winston suffered in his very first game vs Mariota the Titans won 42-14 and Mariota set several records that day.

Mariota set all kinds of records a perfect passer rating of 158.3, making him the first quarterback in NFL history to attain a perfect passer rating in his first regular season game. Mariota became the first quarterback in NFL history to throw four touchdown passes in the first half of his NFL debut. He is also the youngest quarterback to reach the perfect passer rating in his first game as well.

Winston’s first pass of his career was intercepted by Tennessee and returned for a TD. For the day he was 16 of 33,below 50% completed passes,220 yards.2TD/2INT, 64 pass rating

Mariota was 13 of 15,below 50% completed passes,209 yards.4TD/0INT and a 158 perfect pass rating.

Mariota was awarded AFC Player of the Week honors for Week One 2015 for his perfect game against Winston and the Bucs.

Mariota was first quarterback in NFL history to have 6 total touchdown passes within the first two games of his career and first to have 8 total touchdown passes within the first three games as well

Mariota became the first rookie quarterback in NFL history to have two games with four touchdowns and no interceptions in his first fourth-quarter/overtime comeback in a 34–28 overtime win over the New Orleans Saints, a game in which he threw for a career-high 371 yards and four touchdowns.

Mariota won AFC Player of the Week honors Week Nine at New Orleans

Mariota has four games with three or more touchdowns tied Peyton Manning (1998) as the most ever by a rookie QB with his 3 TD passes vs Jacksonville Week Thirteen.

Also Week Thirteen against Jacksonville his rookie year Mariota was the first player NFL history with 250+ pass yds, 100+ rush yds & 3 TD passes in a December home game.

Mariota also had a 87 yard run for a TD which was one of the longest runs by a QB in NFL history and the longest run of any player including a RB for the entire 2015 season vs Jacksonville Week Thirteen.

The very week after a record setting day vs Jacksonville Mariota then has another record setting day at N.Y. Jets Week Fourteen he became the first NFL player since Walter Payton in the 1983 season to pass for a touchdown, rush for a touchdown and catch a touchdown pass of at least 40 yards.

Was ranked in the top ten for Yards/Pass Attempts, Yards/Pass Completed for 2015 season.

Mariota was awarded AFC Player of the Week for Week Ten 2016 Led Titans to 35 points in one half against Green Bay the most scored in NFL one half in 2016 and to 47 total points the most scored against Green Bay in over two decades. Mariota threw for nearly 300 yards and 4 TD passes with a 149.8 passer rating.

Also Week Ten vs Green Bay, Mariota is the first QB in modern NFL history with six four-TD performances in his first 22 career games. No other QB had more to start a career.

The next week at Indy Week Eleven Mariota has 9 games with 100 passer rating/multiple TD’s only Dan Marino,Russell Wilson and Kurt Warner had more in their first 2 seasons at QB.

The next week at Chicago Week Twelve Mariota achieves 16 games with at least two touchdown passes in his first two NFL seasons (tied with Peyton Manning and Russell Wilson)

Mariota was AFC Offensive Player of the Month for November 2016 after passing for 1,124 yards with 11 touchdowns and just two interceptions.

Mariota led the Titans to number one ranking in red zone success for 2016 season

Mariota Was ranked in the top ten for passer rating, passing TD, passing TD %, Yds/Pass Attempts, Yds/Pass Completed for 2016 season.

Marcus Mariota is 1 of 5 QBs in NFL history with 9,000-plus pass yards (9,476) and 900-plus rush yards (913) in first three seasons with his 60 yards rushing vs Jacksonville for Week Seventeen 2017

Mariota led Titans to a 7-1 record in games decided by 3 points or less last two seasons. The .875 winning % in games decided by 3 or fewer points during that stretch is tied with Steelers for the best in the league.

Mariota led biggest NFL road playoff comeback win in NFL history at Kansas City coming back from 18 points down winning 22-21.

During a wild card playoff game at Kansas City, Mariota became the first QB in NFL playoff history to catch his own pass for a touchdown.

Mariota is first QB ever to have both a receiving and passing touchdown in a playoff game.

Mariota and Titans led a 95-yard TD drive at Patriots. The longest scoring drive in 14 years allowed by Patriots in the postseason since Panthers had a 95-yard TD drive in Super Bowl XXXVIII.

Mariota has 47TD and 0INT in the red zone so far for his three year NFL career.

Thats all of Mariota’s.

Now lets look at Winston’s accomplishments……………………..

Winston has the most passing touchdowns in a single game by a rookie quarterback with 5 (tied with Ray Buivid, Matthew Stafford, and Deshaun Watson)

Most passing touchdowns by a rookie quarterback in one half with 4 (tied with Marcus Mariota and Deshaun Watson)

Most seasons of passing for 4000 yards to begin a career

Youngest player to pass for 4,000 yards

Youngest player to pass for 40 touchdowns

Most touchdown passes before 24th birthday: 69

2015 Pro Bowl

Pepsi NFL Rookie Of The Year 2015

Well i don’t know guys what do you think do we have the better QB?

Mariota’s list of accomplishments looks a lot bigger.

• 2 weeks later...

Well i'll be damned :cigar

The top two picks from the 2015 NFL Draft will face each other on the practice field for a few days this August.

According to Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers will practice against the Tennessee Titans prior to their meeting in Week 2 of the preseason.

Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota played their first professional games against each other in Week 1 of the 2015 season. Mariota and the Titans earned a 42-14 victory over Winston and the Buccaneers that day with Mariota tossing four touchdown passes all in the opening half setting a record becoming the first quarterback in NFL history to do so in a debut.

Both QB's still have plenty of time ahead of them but so far they seem to be heading in opposite directions.

After three years as an NFL starter, Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston is still hard to figure out. He has produced dazzling highlights coupled with maddening turnovers, finding open receivers long after plays have broken down, yet coughing up the ball when he should have taken sacks. But he's thrown the second-most interceptions (44) since 2015, when he entered the league, and has turned the ball over 59 times in 45 games. His 15 lost fumbles are also the most of any player during that span. There are lots of NFL games that are decided by one possession and a big reason Winston was 3-7 were because of his turnovers.

Mariota dealt with his own issues last season a big reason the offensive staff as well as Mularkey were let go. Seems his numbers were down and most of it was due to the play calling and how the offense was structured. Despite struggling at times there was one area where he excelled and that was in the 4th quarter with the game on the line. Mariota led the NFL and all QB's in come from behind victories as he had 5 game winning drives and 4 fourth quarter comebacks.

Mariota led Titans to a 7-1 record in games decided by 3 points or less last two seasons. The .875 winning % in games decided by 3 or fewer points during that stretch is tied with Steelers for the best in the league.

The Carolina Panthers and Atlanta Falcons have each held practices with the Titans in recent seasons. The Buccaneers will become yet another NFC South team to scrimmage with the team this summer.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bucs.titans.joint%20practices/

No offense Mike but what a waste of time

Remember the 2000 Sugar Bowl?    Wenke and Warrick hooked up for TD's a few times if i remember and they beat Mike Vick for the title

The reason i remember that game so well is the Titans and Rams played in the Super Bowl a few weeks later.

Are you a Bucs fan?

Honestly man i got so much shit when we first drafted Mariota from not only friends but folks i knew online and it was pounded into my head how Winston was gonna be so good and Mariota was gonna suck and on and on but honestly it didn't and hasnt worked out that way and you know it.

Winston struggles with turnovers so much he caused the Bucs to lose like 6 games by 5 points or less meanwhile on the opposite side Mariota is consistently winning games coming from behind and being clutch he had 5 comeback wins last season the most of any NFL QB in 2017. Also every season his team has gotten better than the year before and that led to the postseason where Mariota had the biggest come from behind win in NFL history for a QB on the road at Kansas City in the wild card matchup. Winston at this point is looking a lot like Cutler with all the turnovers and close losses and hasn't won a playoff game or even played in one and won't until he improves.

Winston easily for me

So you would rather have the guy who can't win close games,struggles with turnovers to the point in kills his teams chances to win and hasn't come close to making the postseason over a guy who is the opposite???

Winston struggles with turnovers so much he caused the Bucs to lose like 6 games by 5 points or less meanwhile on the opposite side Mariota is consistently winning games coming from behind and being clutch he had 5 comeback wins last season the most of any NFL QB in 2017.

Also every season Mariota's team has gotten better than the year before and that led to the postseason where Mariota had the biggest come from behind win in NFL history for a QB on the road at Kansas City in the wild card matchup.

Meanwhile Winston hasnt even sniffed the playoffs because he is killing his team with turnovers losing lots of close games instead of being clutch and winning the close games like Mariota does.

Winston at this point is looking a lot like Cutler with all the turnovers and close losses and hasn't won a playoff game or even played in one and won't until he improves.

So which guy would you rather have.....

A. He's thrown the second-most interceptions (44) since 2015, when he entered the league, and has turned the ball over 59 times in 45 games. His 15 lost fumbles are also the most of any player during that span. There are lots of NFL games that are decided by one possession and he lost 6 close games in 2017 by five points or less because of his turnovers and his team was 5-11 and did not make the playoffs that year. Has played three seasons and his latest season is his teams worst one yet.

B. Led his team to a 7-1 record in games decided by 3 points or less last two seasons. Led the NFL with 5 fourth quarter comebacks and game winning drives the most of any NFL QB in 2017. Led his team to the playoffs and then led his team to the biggest postseason comeback in NFL history for a road team. Led his team every year to a better record than the year before.

:scratch

Mike your view here is obviously heavily biased. I'm not trying to defend Winston here as I am a Jets fan and could care less about these 2 quarterbacks however lets look at the facts. There's a reason Winston was the 1st overall pick and that reason is potential. He is more of a pocket passer and longterm he has a higher ceiling. Titans beat the Colts on a  game this season where Mariota couldn't move. I remember the game well as I think it was a Thursday night game and he literally wouldn't take more then 2 steps and the Colts couldn't get to him and they still ended up winning the game. And don't even get me started on the Texans injuries.  Not much to boast about when Blake Bortles is the best QB in your division.   Meanwhile the NFC south might be the best division in football 3 out of the 4 teams made the playoffs. Matt Ryan and Cam were the 2 MVPs before this season and both have made it to a SB and Brees is still playing at an elite level and has won a Super Bowl. Winston definitely hasn't played as well as he could and his decision making at times has been questionable however he has shown glimpses of talent and why he was the 1st pick.  Mariota's ability to stay healthy is still a question mark. And I didn't even make a mention of how strong the Tennesse running game has been compared to Tampa since Mariota got there.  Still too early in there careers to say Mariota should've been the 1st pick over Winston.

Mike your view here is obviously heavily biased. I'm not trying to defend Winston here as I am a Jets fan and could care less about these 2 quarterbacks however lets look at the facts. There's a reason Winston was the 1st overall pick and that reason is potential. He is more of a pocket passer and longterm he has a higher ceiling. Titans beat the Colts on a  game this season where Mariota couldn't move. I remember the game well as I think it was a Thursday night game and he literally wouldn't take more then 2 steps and the Colts couldn't get to him and they still ended up winning the game. And don't even get me started on the Texans injuries.  Not much to boast about when Blake Bortles is the best QB in your division.   Meanwhile the NFC south might be the best division in football 3 out of the 4 teams made the playoffs. Matt Ryan and Cam were the 2 MVPs before this season and both have made it to a SB and Brees is still playing at an elite level and has won a Super Bowl. Winston definitely hasn't played as well as he could and his decision making at times has been questionable however he has shown glimpses of talent and why he was the 1st pick.  Mariota's ability to stay healthy is still a question mark. And I didn't even make a mention of how strong the Tennesse running game has been compared to Tampa since Mariota got there.  Still too early in there careers to say Mariota should've been the 1st pick over Winston.

Easy, i understand what you are saying. I am gonna try really hard not to be biased and at the same time be fair and point out something i've noticed with Winston.....This is strictly unbiased below

In 2015 Winston had the 5th best offense and 10th best defense in the NFL thats really good rankings. Winston had a good run game led by Doug Martin and he ran for 1400 yards and averaged 5 yards per carry,great stuff again. In Mike Evans one of the best WR in the game.  The reason they ended up 6-10 is because Winston made critical/bad mistakes like fumbles/interceptions. In 2016 the Bucs were 9-7 and had a few close losses and didn't make the postseason, That year he threw nearly 30 TD had good weapons on offense but the same thing i said before too many mistakes. In 2017 the Bucs were 5-11 and had 6 losses by 5 points or less they very well could've been 10-6/11-5 IF there had been less mistakes/turnovers in crucial moments causing the close losses.

Winston is a good QB but his biggest flaw the last 3 years are way too many turnovers that cause losses and hurt the team.

He's thrown the second-most interceptions (44) from 2015 to 2017, since he entered the league, and has turned the ball over 59 times in 45 games. His 15 lost fumbles are also the most of any player during that span.  This has caused the losses,i do think Winston is a good QB its the ill timed mistakes causing losses.

As far as Mariota he hasn't missed more than one game a year in both 2016 and 2017.

I think as time goes on the main difference between Mariota and Winston is Mariota is clutch and wins games by not making crucial mistakes which is something Winston has struggled with his whole career as leads QB's the last three years in turnovers which leads to not being clutch and blowing games.

Thats not bias its facts.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000926838/article/report-bucs-pick-up-jameis-winstons-5thyear-option

On Tuesday the Buccaneers picked up Jameis Winston's $20.922 million fifth-year option

Winston's 2017 campaign was an injury-plagued, up-and-down operation. While not a perfect specimen under center, Winston's 69 touchdowns to 44 picks fairly represent his work to date.

There was no debate about Tampa's direction here. Winston's 45 starts over three seasons represent the steadiest work of quarterback play the Bucs have seen in eons.

Latest Headlines

Titans Plan to Exercise 5th-Year Option on QB Marcus Mariota

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Titans plan to exercise the fifth-year option on quarterback Marcus Mariota, which keeps him under contract in Tennessee through the 2019 season.

“The plan over the next couple of days is to exercise Marcus Mariota’s fifth-year option,” Titans general manager Jon Robinson said on Wednesday. “He is an important part of this team.

“We’re excited to have him around here for the next couple of years and hopefully after the next season we can start to figure something out to keep him around even longer.”

Mariota, the second overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, is coming off a season where he lead all NFL QB's in 4th quarter comebacks in the regular season. However he is always trying to top himself and in the postseason at Kansas City he achieved the biggest come from behind win in playoff history as he was down 18 points 21-3 at halftime and led the Titans to a stunning 22-21 victory. Mariota also set another record becoming the first QB in postseason history to throw and complete a TD pass to himself.

The deadline to declare the fifth-year option for players drafted in the 2015 NFL Draft is May 3.

Winston has topped out... he ain't doing better than what we've seen.

Mariota, on the other hand, I think will get better.

Back in 2015 i was so against the Titans drafting Winston. The main thing i thought would be an issue was turnovers/mistakes and i was right. Thank goodness the Bucs drafted him at #1. Decision making/turnovers and that has been the main issue in his career so far.

Winston reminds me of Jay Cutler he can get hot but ultimately turnovers doom in the end.

There are a few folks on the board here who say even now they would go with Winston. Someone else said that Winston had way more potential. It is true he did have more potential. BUT what is potential if you don't live up to it......

Ultimately i agree with your opinion.

If we look at both QB 3 years so far this is what we see.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#1--Over 3 seasons Mariota led his team every year to a better record than the year before (3-13, 9-7, 9-7 & playoffs) and led his team to the playoffs and then led his team to the biggest comeback in NFL history for a road team coming back from 18 points down to win 22-21.

Meanwhile Winston did the opposite and went from (6-10 to 9-7 to last year worse record so far 5-11) and got worse and has never made the postseason prolonging the agony for fans who have not been to the playoffs in 11 years since 2007.

#2--Mariota led five 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives the most of any NFL QB in 2017. Meanwhile Winston did the opposite and lost six games that were all by 5 points or less mainly due to turnovers.

#3--Mariota led Titans to a 7-1 record in games decided by 3 points or less last two seasons. The .875 winning % in games decided by 3 or fewer points during that stretch is tied with Steelers for the best in the league. Meanwhile in his first 3 seasons Winston lost 14 games by a TD or less.

#4--Mariota is the first QB in modern NFL history with six four-TD performances in his first 22 career games. No other QB had more to start a career. WEEK 10-Also set record that same day for 35 points scored in one half vs Packers that was most for the whole season for one half.

The next week at Indy Week Eleven Mariota has 9 games with 100 passer rating/multiple TD’s only Dan Marino,Russell Wilson and Kurt Warner had more in their first 2 seasons at QB.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Winston did good things,had weapons but turnovers hurt the team kept them from winning close games...

In 2015 Winston had the 5th best offense and 10th best defense in the NFL thats really good rankings. Winston had a good run game led by Doug Martin and he ran for 1400 yards and averaged 5 yards per carry,great stuff again. In Mike Evans one of the best WR in the game with Vincent Jackson.  The reason they ended up 6-10 is because Winston made critical/bad mistakes like fumbles/interceptions.

In 2016 the Bucs were 9-7 and had a few close losses and didn't make the postseason, That year he threw nearly 30 TD had good weapons on offense but the same thing i said before too many mistakes.

In 2017 the Bucs were 5-11 and had 6 losses by 5 points or less they very well could've been 10-6/11-5 IF there had been less mistakes/turnovers in crucial moments causing the close losses. Last year the Bucs could've easily made the postseason if some of the turnovers did not happen allowing them to win some of these close games instead of losing due to turnovers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bottom line Mariota was clutch and won the close games over and over.....Winston lost them with mistakes.

Mariota is simply clutch winning the close games meanwhile Winston is the opposite making mistakes too many times.

Winston thrown the second-most interceptions (44) since 2015, when he entered the league, and has turned the ball over 59 times in 45 games. His 15 lost fumbles are also the most of any player during that span. There are lots of NFL games that are decided by one possession and he lost 6 close games in 2017 by five points or less because of his turnovers and his team was 5-11 and did not make the playoffs that year. Has played three seasons and his latest season is his teams worst one yet. Has never led his team to playoffs.

Mariota meanwhile led the NFL with five 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives the most of any NFL QB in 2017. His best one was in the postseason as he led the biggest comeback in NFL history for a road team.In his career he has 8 fourth quarter comebacks and 9 game winning drives. Mariota led Titans to a 7-1 record in games decided by 3 points or less last two seasons thats the best mark in the NFL over that span. In his three year career he has led the team every year to a better record than they had the year prior. So he improved and did better each year than he did the year before. His latest season is his best one yet making the playoffs and leading the biggest comeback victory in postseason history for a QB.