U.S. should lower alcohol recommendation because booze shortens our lives, study says

sugardaddy

It's official, everyone: We're drinking too much booze, and it's cutting us short of precious life. 

And that's not just a warning to heavy boozers. Even the most casual drinkers among us, including those following U.S. government recommendations, can see months and years taken away by steadily hitting the hooch, according to a new study by an international team of researchers.

The study, led by Dr. Angela Wood of the University of Cambridge, analyzed about 600,000 drinkers around the world. Their findings indicate the U.S. recommendation for alcohol is too high, could be leading to shorter life expectancies and therefore should be lowered. 

"This study has shown that drinking alcohol at levels which were believed to be safe is actually linked with lower life expectancy and several adverse health outcomes," co-author Dan G. Blazer of Duke University told The Lancetwhich published the study Thursday.

The study urged countries to change their recommendations to no more than 100 grams of alcohol per week, or roughly seven drinks in the U.S. More than that starts to whittle your life by months and years, the researchers found.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/04/12/u-s-should-lower-its-alcohol-recommendation-because-its-shortening-our-lives-study-says/510323002/

I’ve drank literally every night for 30 years, maybe miss 5 days a year.

Cut way back on the bourbon, but still pound beers nightly.

Impressive.  Not saying I applaud you.  Would you mind honestly sharing with us about your current state of health?  Have you had many issues relating to stomach or liver disease at all?  Very curious to know how so much alcohol has affected you if at all.

Impressive. Not saying I applaud you. Would you mind honestly sharing with us about your current state of health? Have you had many issues relating to stomach or liver disease at all? Very curious to know how so much alcohol has affected you if at all.

The dude is slim too. Not sure how he does it. Must have the metabolism of a 14 year old.

Impressive.  Not saying I applaud you.  Would you mind honestly sharing with us about your current state of health?  Have you had many issues relating to stomach or liver disease at all?  Very curious to know how so much alcohol has affected you if at all.

Very few health issues as a result of my drinking. Last time I had a physical was told my liver enzymes were a little elevated but that’s about it. Cutting back on hard liquor a decade or so ago probably saved me, no way I could’ve continued at that pace as I got older. Still have a taste occasionally but it’s mostly just beer and wine now.

Genetics probably a factor as well, both sides of my family have had their share of drinkers and I don’t ever remember any of them having major health issues. No weight issues either, I literally can’t think of one fatty in the family.

Even though I drink nearly every night it’s not like I’m always ripped. Some nights it may only be a couple beers and a glass of wine at home. It’s when we go out I may have 5-6 at a restaurant then go home and have a lot more.