Egg recall

IAG

The inside of an egg is clean and sterile, the only way salmonella would get inside is if the shell was cracked(which is why you're not supposed to eat cracked eggs). If there's salmonella on the recalled eggs it's likely because of contamination at the place where they're washed, eggs are washed before they're packaged, so the bleach or whatever they use to clean them obviously was not up to snuff.

Actually not correct. Salmonella can exist in a hen’s ovaries which is transferred into the egg before the shell is formed. I don’t know how common it is, but eggs do not have to be cracked in order to have salmonella. I think it’s referenced in the article above and at the CDC website.

“Eggs are not laid in a sterile environment. ... Through vertical transmission, bacteria are introduced from infected reproductive tissues to eggs prior to shell formation. This form of transmission is mostly associated with pathogenic bacteria, namely Salmonella.”

Actually not correct. Salmonella can exist in a hen’s ovaries which is transferred into the egg before the shell is formed. I don’t know how common it is, but eggs do not have to be cracked in order to have salmonella. I think it’s referenced in the article above and at the CDC website.

“Eggs are not laid in a sterile environment. ... Through vertical transmission, bacteria are introduced from infected reproductive tissues to eggs prior to shell formation. This form of transmission is mostly associated with pathogenic bacteria, namely Salmonella.”

Fine, but you are aware that virtually every chicken has salmonella on/in them? Same with e-coli and the rest, normal hygiene/cleaning practices keep bacterial numbers under an allowable limit. Improper handling, storage, and preparation are what cause outbreaks of food born disease, and in this case it's something that happened at one plant/farm.

and in this case it's something that happened at one plant/farm.

Exactly

PSA only. Just refuting that salmonella cannot exist in eggs without them being cracked. I don’t eat many eggs. I’m not that concerned. However If I lived in one of the affected states, I certainly wouldn’t sweat it for a buck or two like House said. ...wouldn’t take my chances.

Exactly

PSA only. Just refuting that salmonella cannot exist in eggs without them being cracked. I don’t eat many eggs. I’m not that concerned. However If I lived in one of the affected states, I certainly wouldn’t sweat it for a buck or two like House said. ...wouldn’t take my chances.

Anyway, I've got 4 eggs left dated Dec 6, so i better get going on them.

Mike I just found an unopened bottle of salad dressing in my pantry with exp date 2015. Would you use that?.

Yup, I'm using tartar sauce now from about that time, it should be ok. Unopened though, sheet, that's fresh as a dewy meadow on a spring day.

I do have my standards by the way, i tossed a can of collard greens I found at the back of the cupboard, probably been there 10-12 years.

• 4 weeks later...