OT: Any Chess Players here?

Machiavelli

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's like a $1000, sure.....use a bot or whatever. 

But a simple $20 game?

Man...this thread went from finding folks to play and posting about our experiences to quite the argument about Bots and AI. Ha. 

I think the missing point is that since we aren't all in the 1% in the top players in the world, these computers nowadays will wreck all of us. And even if someone doesn't quite have the software on their phone/computer, it doesn't meant they cannot have it the other place and manually input each move in a game to determine what they're recommended to do next. 

Also....would love to play Reno Marty in a 30min game sometime if he ever has the time (I know time is $$$ for ultra sharp/busy folks)

In a 10/5/3min game, you'd easily crush me on the first mistake, but I've been doing well in 30min games and could at least give you a game (I think). Or if not, would be a good learning experience for sure. 

Ha--I'm just trying to see if all this talk has you wanting to play us 'regular folk.'

Also....would love to play Reno Marty in a 30min game sometime if he ever has the time (I know time is $$$ for ultra sharp/busy folks)

In a 10/5/3min game, you'd easily crush me on the first mistake, but I've been doing well in 30min games and could at least give you a game (I think). Or if not, would be a good learning experience for sure.

Ha--I'm just trying to see if all this talk has you wanting to play us 'regular folk.'

Let’s make it happen.

BAUS

(Vice President, TGF Chess Club)

I'm not sure what the point of challenging me to a game of chess has to do with the conversation. If Reno were to actually win the game, does it make his ignorance of AI bots and computer hardware go away?

Not much of a sport this guy...

BAUS

I'm not sure what the point of challenging me to a game of chess has to do with the conversation. If Reno were to actually win the game, does it make his ignorance of AI bots and computer hardware go away?

You're still wrong. You're just hiding behind my post saying "99%+" not being identical to 100% (how lame, petty and pathetic), and arguing semantics on what AI is. This all started when you questioned the advantage of using a chess bot. Everyone in the thread who knows anything about chess knows that a chess bot even from the early 1990s will destroy any amateur player, and any bot from the 2000s will destroy the world champion. Oh, but you're right, there's a chance the bot is not any good! It might actually be a checkers bot. Yeah, congrats, you're right again. Except it would take Slim or whoever else 2 minutes to figure that out by first playing against it. 

So in this thread we learned you would not hesitate to cheat to make a buck. That you think cheating is the same as studying, practicing, working out, or collecting data and building a model to beat sports betting. Kind of like card counting is the same as pulling back your chips after the dealer shows an ace. Nice. You sound like a great guy without any personality disorders whatsoever. 

Anyways, knowing you, you'll insist on having the last word, just like women do. Go ahead, it's yours.

I'll just recap what Reno Marty (who says he knows nothing about computers) has taught me (someone who has coded bots) about computer bots in this thread:

1.  Deep Blue was not an AI supercomputer.  All computer scientists on the planet are incorrect in calling it artificial intelligence.
2.  The 10th best publicly available chess bot would "destroy the human world champion" 99%+ of the time.  Every time.
3.  When someone says "99%+" they mean 1 in 1 billion.  Not 1 in 100.  Or 1 in 200.  Or 1 in 5000.  1 in 1 billion.  Duh.  
4.  No human has ever beaten a chess bot in the last 15 years.  Guaranteed!
5.  AI has not been bottlenecked by computer hardware since its inception.
6.  Because the hardware bottleneck has improved in supercomputers, software that was designed for less sophisticated hardware should be equal to AlphaZero.

7.  Software run on modern supercomputers can be run on your phone and is relevant to off-the-shelf software conversations.

8.  When you're talking about a chess match between a bot and "the human world champion", you mean ONLY 3 or 5 minute timed games.
9.  I'd rather be the Cory to your EZ Street.

People haven't been trying to play games since there's been such a debate happening in here!

I’m traveling today, but upon reaching my destination , i’m guessing I will be pooped in the room and will be in prime form to lose at even a faster rate of speed than normal!