Soccer is a dumb sport. Not sure why the world loves it?

WVU

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its a sport that doesn't require you to have money to play. Its the ultimate lottery ticket to riches in these poor countries if you are good.

Ahh not here!!! I fork 17k a year for both of my kids. That includes club fees, travel, tournaments, and private training.

Yea in the academy, but not senior team.

So you seriously think that there are 15 total players born in the US actively playing across the 23 MLS teams right now? That couldn’t be more wrong, and no clue where you’re getting it from. What country do you think supplies the majority of the players in MLS?

You missed the point of the need of better trainers from outside this country that can teach the sport.

the only 2 things that matter to the quality of athletes you are going to get are

1) prize money/salaries/endorsements

2) athletic ability

you could have the best nfl trainers in ethiopia and they still aren't gonna get any linemen... don't need any trainers and you have tons of elite-level marathoners

#1 is the only reason people outside the usa became terrific golfers... tiger made the prize money go through the roof so there was incentive

the only 2 things that matter to the quality of athletes you are going to get are

1) prize money/salaries/endorsements

2) athletic ability

you could have the best nfl trainers in ethiopia and they still aren't gonna get any linemen... don't need any trainers and you have tons of elite-level marathoners

#1 is the only reason people outside the usa became terrific golfers... tiger made the prize money go through the roof so there was incentive

None of this applies to soccer.

None of this applies to soccer.

bullshit it doesn't... are you telling me that senegal is in the world cup because they have such great trainers there?  has nothing to do with skinny black guys that can run around, they would be just as successful with 300 pound white guys i'm sure   :laugh

have mls salaries of $20 million and you'll get a lot of better soccer players in the usa, and they wouldn't miss another world cup ever

So you seriously think that there are 15 total players born in the US actively playing across the 23 MLS teams right now? That couldn’t be more wrong, and no clue where you’re getting it from. What country do you think supplies the majority of the players in MLS?

Yes I stand corrected as it’s roughly about 95 American born players currently, but it’s declining rapidly.

bullshit it doesn't... are you telling me that senegal is in the world cup because they have such great trainers there?  has nothing to do with skinny black guys that can run around, they would be just as successful with 300 pound white guys i'm sure   :laugh

have mls salaries of $20 million and you'll get a lot of better soccer players in the usa, and they wouldn't miss another world cup ever

I agree with a lot of that, though it goes deeper than even just the $. It’s having kids growing up eating and breathing the sport, dreaming of making it big, playing every minute of their free time, etc.

Doesn’t change overnight, but we are further along than many think.

bullshit it doesn't... are you telling me that senegal is in the world cup because they have such great trainers there? has nothing to do with skinny black guys that can run around, they would be just as successful with 300 pound white guys i'm sure :laugh

Exactly what I am fucking tell you!

USA missed WC because of bad decisions not to play the youth.

Yes I stand corrected as it’s roughly about 95 American born players currently, but it’s declining rapidly.

Where are you getting this? There is no way that each MLS team has about 4 US born guys on the roster, or that about 20% of the league is US born.

I agree with a lot of that, though it goes deeper than even just the $. It’s having kids growing up eating and breathing the sport, dreaming of making it big, playing every minute of their free time, etc.

Doesn’t change overnight, but we are further along than many think.

oh absolutely

and that's what the tiger effect did for golf... without any money there wouldn't be a lot of kids dreaming of that

ask kids in the ghetto of milwaukee what they want to be, and it will be either a rapper or in the nba... i imagine in other countries it's soccer player