Without Doubt Browns Will Turn Corner Starting In 2018 (2019 Division Winners/Playoff Contenders)

Mike75

How bad have the Browns been???

Since 1990 which is 28 years ago the Browns have made the playoffs only two times and had three winning seasons in all those years.

It has been 16 years since they went to the playoffs and have not won over 5 games but two times in the past twelve seasons. They have not won their division in thirty years since 1989. They have lost 10 or more games in eighteen of those twenty eight seasons.

In their last 50 games the team is 4-46. Since they rebooted in '99 they are 88-216 the only team in that near 20 year span to be unable to win at least 100 games and only ones to lose 200 games. With 9 head coaches and over 30 quarterbacks as well.

Thats the bad news.

The good news is all things must come to an end

This long drought of losing in my opinion is nearing its end. Wins and competitive football are coming to Cleveland and should be here to stay especially if Baker Mayfield has the right stuff. If i am a betting man i would say yes.

As the Oakland Raiders,Buffalo Bills and Jacksonville Jaguars showed in 2016 and 2017, a franchise's fortunes can change in an instant. The 2018 Browns  is a team more than ready for a big step forward and with some luck very well could achieve eight or nine wins and possibly a wild-card berth.

More than likely they could hit .500 this year and it would be a success. The Browns must play New Orleans,Atlanta,Carolina,Kansas City,Oakland,L.A. Chargers, as well as Pittsburgh twice. The AFC North is not as tough the last couple years so Cincy,Baltimore,N.Y. Jets,Tampa,Denver,Houston could all be potential wins.

The Browns had one of the biggest turnover prone QB in the league in Deshone Kizer last year however this year they have Tyrod Taylor who is the exact opposite.

In his three years in Buffalo Taylor had 65 TD's and only 16 INT and was one of the best QB in terms of limiting turnovers. Cleaning up the turnovers alone could mean more victories easily. His 1.0 percent interception rate was best in the NFL last season, and his 1.3 percent rate over the past three trails only Tom Brady.

Last season Taylor led the Bills to their first playoff berth in nearly 20 years and as good as the roster looks in Cleveland right now the Browns have a good shot at not only a winning year but a possible playoff berth as well....

Cleveland has invested a lot in their offensive line with Joel Bitonio, JC Tretter,Kevin Zeitler along with 2016 third rounder Shon Coleman and Right tackle Chris Hubbard was signed away from division rival Pittsburgh.

Last season the Browns ditched the analytics people and brought in GM John Dorsey and he has made some good moves overall.

The offensive skill players are good including WR Josh Gordon. Cleveland traded for slot man Jarvis Landry, who ranks third in the NFL with 400 receptions since entering the league in 2014. Corey Coleman was drafted to be the team's No. 1 receiver. Tight end David Njoku was one of the team's three first-round picks in 2017.

Free-agent RB Carlos Hyde and second-round rookie Nick Chubb form an outstanding three-man committee with Duke Johnson Jr. Hyde has been one of the NFL's most effective backs since entering the league in 2014. Chubb was one of the best pure rushers in a deep draft class and is a big, tough back at 5-foot-11 and 227 pounds. Johnson is an elite receiving back, ranking first at the position in receptions (188) and receiving yards (1,741) since being drafted in the third round of 2015.

Cleveland signed E.J. Gaines and TJ Carrie and then drafted Ohio State's Denzel Ward fourth overall. Gaines and Carrie played well with Buffalo and Oakland last year. And Ward has elite upside as a shutdown perimeter corner. Briean Boddy-Calhoun was an undrafted free-agent in 2016 and was one of the league's best slot corners last year.

Safety is a concern but there's a ton of upside with 2017 first-rounder Jabrill Peppers and 2015 first-rounder and converted corner Damarious Randall who already has 10 interceptions. 2017 starting strong safety Derrick Kindred is around as well.

Emmanuel Ogbah, Chad Thomas, Carl Nassib and Nate Orchard are all solid as well as 2017 first overall pick Myles Garrett who finished the year with 7 sacks. Christian Kirksey, Joe Schobert and Jamie Collins have the linebacking spots sewed up. Larry Ogunjobi and Caleb Brantley helped the Browns finish 7th against the run last year. The defense mainly struggled against the pass.

The Browns are probably still one good offseason away from contending in the AFC and are best viewed as a seven- or eight-win team in 2018.

If QB Baker Mayfield is allowed to sit year one or even a good portion of year one that will help tremendously. Add another good draft and free agency and 2019 will be the year the Browns make the postseason and take control of the AFC North for rthe first time as the division is vulnerable with Baltimore and Cincy not making the postseason lately and Pittsburgh not as strong as they once were.

I know my shit pretty good when it comes to NFL and guys mark my words Cleveland will improve in 2018 and could be around .500 but it will be 2019 with another draft/free agency that you will truly see the transformation into winners.

They will be a firm 2nd in the division in 2018, and in the wild card battle.  I didn't particularly like the Baker pick, and how he does will affect their future years, but in 2018, with Tyrod at QB, they are big time improved.  Kizer cost them several games on his own.   Tyrod is massively underrated.  

They have a very good roster, with loads of young talent.  While Hue has been a horrible Coach for them, when he had Vet QBs in Oakland, he wasn't bad,  And if Haley is running the Offense, instead of Hue, that's a huge upgrade in play caller.   Dorsey is a great GM, and when he started in KC, and they were the 1st on the waiver wire, he snagged some pretty good talent on cutdown day.   Look for him to do the same here this year for as long as that lasts with last year's record being the waiver order determinate.  

Although they are not as talented as Jax, it wouldn't surprise me if they had a 2017 Jax like quick turnaround.  They are one of the real longshots worth betting to make the playoffs/win the division, etc.  .  

• 3 months later...

This long drought of losing in my opinion is nearing its end. Wins and competitive football are coming to Cleveland and should be here to stay especially if Baker Mayfield has the right stuff. If i am a betting man i would say yes.

As the Oakland Raiders,Buffalo Bills and Jacksonville Jaguars showed in 2016 and 2017, a franchise's fortunes can change in an instant. The 2018 Browns  is a team more than ready for a big step forward and with some luck very well could achieve eight or nine wins and possibly a wild-card berth.

More than likely they could hit .500 this year and it would be a success. The Browns must play New Orleans,Atlanta,Carolina,Kansas City,Oakland,L.A. Chargers, as well as Pittsburgh twice. The AFC North is not as tough the last couple years so Cincy,Baltimore,N.Y. Jets,Tampa,Denver,Houston could all be potential wins.

I know my shit pretty good when it comes to NFL and guys mark my words Cleveland will improve in 2018 and could be around .500 but it will be 2019 with another draft/free agency that you will truly see the transformation into winners.

I had a feeling about these guys and i was right . I wrote the above back in June way before the season ever started.

A kicker cost the Browns their first two games if the kicker makes his kicks the Browns beat Pittsburgh and New Orleans. They did beat the Jets and Ravens to sit at 2-2-1

Their QB has already passed the eye test. The guy is gonna be good. The defense was already good.

What does this mean????

It means that the Browns are about to let Pitt/Baltimore know who their new daddy is.

The Steelers are imploding on defense and Big Ben is old,playing like shit and his safety net LeVeon Bell is most likely moving on too. The Ravens arent fooling anyone Flacco is on borrowed time and Lamar Jackson is not the future meaning uncertainty.

Cleveland is about to enter a 4 year period with a new talented QB and loads of cap room.

I think the Browns can beat Tampa,Pitt,Cincy,Houston,Denver and Atlanta at home.

Regardless the future is BRIGHT.

Like i said in June in the original post above I know my shit pretty good when it comes to NFL and guys mark my words Cleveland will improve in 2018. You will truly see the transformation into winners.