Diabler's Sobriety/Weight Loss Thread

Sol Aristatel

Diablo before I quit school (long story but quit two classes short of graduating) I was actually an Education major (Social Studies specialization) and while I actually enjoyed the education classes (like the history and political science classes...) when I started actually getting into the classroom I absolutely hated it.  Part of it was probably the subject matter (believe it or not, with my rambling posting style, keeping a discussion on topic isn't my strong suit...) but I was also inspired by a history teacher from high school that at one point had us reading daily from the Communist Manifesto just because he was currently reading it and found it interesting.  With bullshit like common core and teaching for test results I don't think something like that is possible any longer?

Anyhow I'm been getting tired of the daily grinding and been thinking about taking a break next spring and finish my degree and (god-forbid...) maybe trying to get a job for so I can just grind part-time online like I used to with bitcoin creating a mini-revival off-shore.  I heard as long as you can pass the all mighty tests, once you have an education degree you can get re-certified in any field?  I was thinking about maybe Middle School math might be more my speed...

Any thoughts before you exit stage left? 

If you hated before, wait until you get in for real, especially at the middle school level. Teaching is becoming a nightmare. The kids have no respect and are entitled beyond belief and it has been over 20 years since I taught. 

But there is not that much downside. It is good experience and looks on a resume. 

If you are not absolutely sure you want to be a teacher, you will not last. 75% of teachers quit in the first 5 years.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you hated before, wait until you get in for real, especially at the middle school level. Teaching is becoming a nightmare. The kids have no respect and are entitled beyond belief and it has been over 20 years since I taught. 

But there is not that much downside. It is good experience and looks on a resume. 

If you are not absolutely sure you want to be a teacher, you will not last. 75% of teachers quit in the first 5 years.

You want to gamble and teach? Forget about that. It is a lot of hours and a lot of them unpaid.

Real estate is an interesting move. Fairly easy to get into but the housing market is overvalued and there is going to be another slump when this inflated stock market tails off and the economy goes back in the crapper. But you can always go back to the education field so it is not that much of a risk.

Not sure I understand trading in summers off and a regimented schedule either but I’m sure Sol has weighed his pros and cons.

Not sure I understand trading in summers off and a regimented schedule either but I’m sure Sol has weighed his pros and cons.

Summers off are way overrated and only a couple of months now so you get basically one extra month for what you can get with a good corporate job but have to work 50-60 hours with no overtime. If you coach, it is pretty much every waking hour.

Summers off are way overrated and only a couple of months now so you get basically one extra month for what you can get with a good corporate job but have to work 50-60 hours with no overtime. If you coach, it is pretty much every waking hour.

Not sure how summers off are overrated.

Or Christmas Break

Or Spring Break

Or MLK day, Presidents’ Day, Cashmier Pulaski day.

Not sure

This^^

Lasted one year and called it a career.

7-11:30am @ Elementary School

12:30-3:30 @ JR High School

3:45-6:00 @ HS coaching(plus games certain nights where not home until past 11pm on most occasions)

Not sure why coaching is brought up. A small percentage of teachers coach, and it’s not mandatory.

Not sure.

Not sure how summers off are overrated.

Or Christmas Break

Or Spring Break

Or MLK day, Presidents’ Day, Cashmier Pulaski day.

Not sure

Because you never sat grading 6 classes of papers and doing two grades of lesson plans on a daily basis on your own time after you get home from working 8 hours. And a significant number of male teachers are coaches. That is the primary reason they enter the profession.

Because you never sat grading 6 classes of papers and doing two grades of lesson plans on a daily basis on your own time after you get home from working 8 hours. And a significant number of male teachers are coaches. That is the primary reason they enter the profession.

I think this is mostly rubbish. I don’t care enough to extend the convo but I don’t think the above is typical.