OT: I'm learning Chinese (Mandarin)

KingRevolver

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good shit Kinger.

I turn 40 in a few months. (Fml I’m old) and I decided I was going to make a few goals for the next year. One is to either master Spanish so I’m truly fluent, or give another language a try. Japanese and Mandarin are my top 2 choices.

Mandarin would likely help me much more given world demographics and the fact my profession has a disproportional number of Chinese people, but japan has always fascinated me and I’m planning to go there next year.

Another reason for Mandarin is I found tutor in my city who happens to be smoking hot, not sure if that’s a good or bad thing, though. Also have friends who could help me practice.

Japanese grammar a lot harder than Chinese but the pronunciation is easier according to what I've read. Chinese grammar is easy peasy, but the pronunciation is harder.

A billion people speak Mandarin, so it was an easy decision for me.

I'm sitting here bored while waiting for my tires, so I downloaded an app called HelloChat. You can text/speak with people from around the world.

So, for example, I can talk to a Chinese broad in China (who wants to learn English)... and the app translates for you. Or I can send her a voice message in Chinese and ask her if she understood me, or she can correct me. I can then do the same for her. Pretty fuckin' cool!

• 1 month later...