Thoughts on the NFL Players kneeling?

Machiavelli

I didn't watch any of the games and was reading some stuff at diff places and sorta felt the initial rage that others express for anthem protests, but then saw the clips and read from the players and it seemed different to me. Like it was no big deal and perhaps we should just appreciate their free expression. 

While I'm sure it'll continue to be a story, I am not convinced that Pres. Trump will easily score political points on it as he's had before. 

But....we'll see. 

Anyway, just curious what y'all think of them for this year. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is only an issue for those whom have tiny lives and need something to bitch about constantly! 

I'll play the opposite side.  Last year I went with my father to the local VFW because thats where he wanted to go and I was just going along to spend some time with him. 

Him and his buddies were having a few drinks when the topic moved to Kap and the kneeling. 

There were probably 20 of them in attendance and the opinion was pretty unanimous. They agreed he had every right to do whatever he felt like but they also saw it a spit in the face.  Of course, a few of them got on tangents and probably went too far but every one of them thought it as disrespectful. These are not guys that constantly bitch and complain although some really have reason to.  

These were actual veterans with most having actually fought for our country. Now, of course, some of them were goofballs and ranted way to much but the point was still the same.  I haven't been back since but I asked my father if they still talk or bitch about it and he said no(he goes weekly). He said he hasn't heard anything about it in a while but they do not put the NFL on the TV any longer. Wasn't a rule made or any particular person making a point he says they went from watching it weekly to not having turned it on since.  

Maybe after their service, these guys developed "tiny lives" but prior to I'm guessing most have done more for this country than me, you, or any kneeler.  

I'll play the opposite side.  Last year I went with my father to the local VFW because thats where he wanted to go and I was just going along to spend some time with him. 

Him and his buddies were having a few drinks when the topic moved to Kap and the kneeling. 

There were probably 20 of them in attendance and the opinion was pretty unanimous. They agreed he had every right to do whatever he felt like but they also saw it a spit in the face.  Of course, a few of them got on tangents and probably went too far but every one of them thought it as disrespectful. These are not guys that constantly bitch and complain although some really have reason to.  

These were actual veterans with most having actually fought for our country. Now, of course, some of them were goofballs and ranted way to much but the point was still the same.  I haven't been back since but I asked my father if they still talk or bitch about it and he said no(he goes weekly). He said he hasn't heard anything about it in a while but they do not put the NFL on the TV any longer. Wasn't a rule made or any particular person making a point he says they went from watching it weekly to not having turned it on since.  

Maybe after their service, these guys developed "tiny lives" but prior to I'm guessing most have done more for this country than me, you, or any kneeler.  

My dad served for years and fought in Vietnam took a bullet and when asked about this he always says the same thing. 

The reason people like him did what they did was so that in this country those guys would have the right to do what they want to do including kneeling during the anthem. 

And its the constant argument over it is what I was referring to, the fact that certain people (with tiny lives) keep making this an issue and keeping it alive for reasons having nothing to do with what these guys are actually kneeling for. 

makes them look like spoiled brats, players are being used/played by the media to separate people and create tension where there is none

the simple fact that these are millionaires who, for the most part, donate ZERO to make our inner cities better places to live, makes them hypocrites

How NFL players are making an impact off the field

It’s easy to get lost in all the negativity, but many NFL players use their platform to make a difference.

By Jeanna Thomas and Sarah Hardy on September 29, 2017 9:00 am

Photo by Moses Robinson/Getty Images for American Cancer Society

Most NFL players don’t stick to sports — and that’s often a good thing. During their free time, which is limited during the season, many work tirelessly to benefit their communities.

NFL coverage has been focused over the past week on protests during the national anthem. Some of the reaction to that has been negative, but lost in the discussion is the positive impact players make away from the football field. So SB Nation’s team sites decided to highlight different ways teams and players give their time, money, and platform to benefit those who welcome their help.

Just this week, we saw Deshaun Watson donating his first game check to three Houstonians who work in the Texans’ cafeteria. These people lost everything to the devastation of Hurricane Harvey, and Watson stepped up selflessly.

A gesture that seems as small as Washington’s Rob Kelley and Keith Marshall buying a child an Xbox leaves a lasting impression, too — not just on that kid, but on the fans who find out about this random act of kindness. There’s so much NFL players do that they don’t seek credit for, but means the world to the people on the receiving end.

Some of our team sites chose to feature the contributions of just one player, or a specific event. Here’s just a small sampling of the good things NFL players are doing off the field.

Arizona Cardinals: Patrick Peterson is one of the NFL’s most generous players

Some of the highlights of what Peterson does around the Arizona community and beyond provided by the Arizona Cardinals:

Peterson created the “Foundation for Success” which aims to provide low-income and inner city youth with opportunities and resources to reach their full potential. The foundation hopes to implement an excellent balance for community development.

Peterson along with his wife, Antonique, visited Haiti as guests of Mission of Hope.

In January of 2015, Peterson unveiled the first “Patrick’s Corner” of his foundation for students and families at Nevitt Elementary School in Phoenix.

For more, check out the entire entry at Revenge of the Birds.

Atlanta Falcons: Vic Beasley aims to fight childhood cancer with the Rally Foundation

The Rally Foundation is a non-profit based in Atlanta that works to raise money for research toward a cure, new and innovative treatments, and to help support families as they battle childhood cancer. It’s not limited to any type of cancer. Any childhood cancer is a challenge Rally, and Beasley, are ready to take on.

For more, check out the entire entry at the Falcoholic.

Baltimore Ravens: Anthony Levine Sr. is using a rivalry to raise money for students

Not only are the Baltimore Ravens going head-to-head against the Pittsburgh Steelers this weekend, but a player from both teams are competing to raise money for their respective charities! Anthony Levine Sr. and Martavis Bryant are going against one another in an attempt to raise more money for charity.

For more, check out the entire entry at Baltimore Beatdown.

Buffalo Bills: Bills players support a variety of charities

Buffalo Rumblings put together a running list of the causes the players donate their time and money to. Here’s one of many:

LeSean McCoy is a community leader through his foundation Shades of Greatness, Inc. He assists people and families suffering from ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease. He’s held four annual charity softball games, the most recent two at Frontier Field in Rochester, NY.

For more, check out the entire entry at Buffalo Rumblings.

Carolina Panthers: Charles Johnson gives back to Georgia hometown and to Charlotte

One of Johnson’s biggest areas of service has been providing college scholarships to high school students at his alma mater, Hawkinsville High School. Johnson’s charitable actions don’t just apply to the Hawkinsville, GA area, either. He’s also done some good work in the Charlotte community. He’s currently in the process of a $3.3 million project to convert an old firehouse in Charlotte to a restaurant.

He’s also built affordable housing units for seniors in both Columbia and Rock Hill, SC and has plans to build more of them in the future.

For more, check out the entire entry at Cat Scratch Reader.

Chicago Bears: The team’s charitable arm highlights the players’ good deeds

Jordan Howard is involved with the Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation.

Former Bear great, Charles Tillman, has his Cornerstone Foundation.

Sam Acho and his family does missionary work in Nigeria.

For more, check out the entire entry at Windy City Gridiron.

Cincinnati Bengals: Andy Dalton helps bring prom to people with disabilities

From Carlos Dunlap’s unbelievable literacy campaign, to the Marvin Lewis Community Fund’s “Learning is Cool” initiative, to Michael Johnson and Dunlap’s Back to School fair, to dozens of other charitable endeavors Bengals players take part in around the community, rarely a week goes by without some form of community involvement from members of the Bengals’ organization.

Last week was no different as Andy Dalton and his wife, Jordan Dalton, were special guests at The Royal Prom. The Daltons welcomed guests and took part in the evening’s activities.

For more, check out the entire entry at Cincy Jungle.

Cleveland Browns: Players surprise local kids on youth flag football teams

On Tuesday, three members of the Browns -- wide receivers Ricardo Louis and Rashard Higgins and safety Ibraheim Campbell — joined local members of the Cleveland Police and Fire Departments to surprise kids at their youth flag football practice outside Michael Zone Recreation Center.

For more, check out the entire entry at Dawgs by Nature.

Dallas Cowboys: Cowboys participate in charitable work year round

Blogging the Boys wanted to highlight a number of players on the team who are trying to make a difference. The Cowboys quarterback is one:

Dak Prescott is doing work for finding a cure for cancer. It’s a personal issue for him.

“Losing my mom, only a sophomore in college, 20 years old,” Prescott said on ABC’s Good Morning America. “Everything I do in life is to try to honor my mom.”

“It takes a community to fight cancer,” says the Ready Raise Rise website. “Ready. Raise. Rise. is spreading the word about Immuno-Oncology research and bringing together everyone impacted by the disease to support the community.”

For more, check out the entire entry at Blogging the Boys.

Denver Broncos: Brandon Marshall is creating positive change in the community

After he first kneeled for the anthem on Sept. 8, 2016, Marshall met with Denver police chief Robert White in what began an ongoing dialogue between urban communities around Denver and the local police. He also pledged to donate $300 for every tackle last season to local organizations committed to addressing “critical social issues.”

And for the past two years, Marshall has organized an Attendance Challenge at local elementary schools, encouraging kids to go to school, learn and use their education.

For more, check out the entire entry at Mile High Report.

Detroit Lions: Glover Quin’s activism and humanitarian efforts are impressive

Now in his ninth year in the NFL, Quin has fought for a laundry list of causes throughout his career. He’s held benefits for domestic violence victims, he rallied other Lions players to help donate over 36,000 bottles of water to Flint, and he even helped raise money for his old high school, which was in need for funds to support a basketball team.

For more, check out the entire entry at Pride of Detroit.

Green Bay Packers: The Packers Foundation does good work around the state

The Packers organization itself is an integral part of the Brown County community and is active throughout the state of Wisconsin through the Packers Foundation. Details on the foundation can be found on the team’s website. In a nutshell, non-profit organizations around the state who fall into the team’s rotating focus areas can request funding to help further their goals in the community. In 2016 alone, the foundation donated over $800,000 to various charitable organizations.

Although the team itself is active in the community, there are plenty of individual players who have special causes and efforts that they support.

For more, check out the entire entry at Acme Packing Company.

Houston Texans: J.J. Watt raises $37 million for Hurricane Harvey relief

What Watt was able to accomplish, in large part due to the kindness of strangers, presumably the vast majority of whom aren’t Texans fans, was astounding.

The final tally: $37,098,248.00 from more than 209,000 donations.

For more, check out the entire entry at Battle Red Blog.

Indianapolis Colts: The team participates in Community Tuesdays

While most NFL players have their own individual charitable foundations or focus on providing their support a specific charity, they also often participate as a team to give back to the community. In Indianapolis, the Colts get together on Tuesdays to find numerous ways to make a difference.

For more, check out the entire entry at Stampede Blue.

Jacksonville Jaguars: Former Jaguar Sen’Derrick Marks took cancer patient to prom

The Jacksonville Jaguars put a focus on community outreach and charitable contributions and there’s always a shelter getting help, hospitals getting visits, and more.

But when thinking about all that Jaguars players have done around the city in recent years, one night stands out: Sen’Derrick Marks taking Khameyea Jennings to prom — and doing it in style.

For more, check out the entire entry at Big Cat Country.

Kansas City Chiefs: Tyreek Hill surprises a local high school football team

Imagine getting ready for high school football practice and you see the NFL’s fastest man showing up to surprise you. The Chiefs and Tyreek Hill did just that this week.

For more, check out the entire entry at Arrowhead Pride.

Los Angeles Chargers: Melvin Gordon drops by to help high school football team

Los Angeles Chargers star running back Melvin Gordon joined with the Southern California Helpful Honda Dealers to surprise a local southern California high school football team and specifically their placekicker, the only girl on the team, Jennifer.

For more, check out the entire entry at Bolts from the Blue.

Los Angeles Rams: The Rams are doing charitable work, but they need an ambassador

This is a franchise trying to rebuild, or build from scratch, a home fan base to fill the seats in the Coliseum and ultimately the seats in their new home when it opens in 2020. The focus on building the on-field product is certainly justified. But for the Los Angeles Rams to really, truly be home, they need someone who can really represent the ethos of the team and live the brand in an authentic and personal way outside the safe space of the Rams’ meeting space or playing fields.

For more, check out the entire entry at Turf Show Times.

Miami Dolphins: Michael Thomas has done a little bit of everything off the field

Thomas was clearly the leader in trying to organize efforts to collect donations to send to his native Houston for Hurricane Harvey relief. He has been involved with the First Step Program, a program designed to link local area kids with community leaders. He has worked with the Broward County Sheriff’s Office to conduct a ride along and work on the relationship between the police and the community. He has worked with the Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Miami. He has worked with Food for the Hungry.

For more, check out the entire entry at the Phinsider.

Minnesota Vikings: The team is committed to helping children

And we certainly couldn’t talk about all the good the Vikings have done in the community without mentioning the Vikings Children’s Fund, which is now the Minnesota Vikings Foundation. The Vikings Children’s Fund enhanced the lives of numerous children in the Twin Cities over the years, and the Minnesota Vikings Foundation looks ready to continue that legacy by concentrating on getting children up and active in our increasingly sedentary society.

For more, check out the entire entry at the Daily Norseman.

New England Patriots: Players help build a new playground

Rookies Adam Butler and Deatrich Wise teamed up with Geneo Grissom and veteran David Harris to help carry woodchips, assemble playground equipment, and paint decorations for the park. This is the eighth consecutive year the Patriots have helped with this program.

For more, check out the entire entry at Pats Pulpit.

New Orleans Saints: Players regularly pitch in around the New Orleans area

Here’s a look at just some of the things the Saints have done and are doing in the month of September to make an impact.

A Community STEM Fest is set for Sept. 30, which is set to feature over 2,000 students and teachers throughout the region to promote the education day.

Brandon Coleman has a put out an experience package for a home game that you can bid on that benefits the Alzheimer’s Association.

On Sept. 19, Cam Jordan visited Smothers Academy in Jefferson, La. to help promote reading.

On Sept. 20, Landon Turner visited Faith Lutheran School in Harahan, La. for the play football experience and to promote NFL Play 60. That same day, Brandon Coleman visited Sojourner Truth Neighborhood Center in New Orleans to celebrate National Healthy Lunch Day with the American Diabetes Association.

For more, check out the entire entry at Canal Street Chronicles.

New York Giants: The team helps families fighting childhood cancer

One of the primary things the Giants do is support the Tom Coughlin Jay Fund. The Landon Collins Charity Softball Game was held in the summer for that purpose, and Giants players still attend the annual Jay Fund dinner in New York City.

For more, check out the entire entry at Big Blue View.

New York Jets: The Jets are trying to stop bullying

There are a number of specific areas where the team has been active. One such area is promoting anti-bullying. The Jets have taken on a number of initiatives and will present a $100,000 check this Sunday to the STOMP Out Bullying Organization. The team has also holds symposiums for educators to deal with bullying.

For more, check out the entire entry at Gang Green Nation.

Oakland Raiders: Players call attention to social issues and give back to the community

Bruce Irvin sat with arms interlocked during the anthem Sunday night in Washington along with his defensive line teammates in response to Donald Trump’s recent comments on the NFL player protests.

The following day he and those same teammates pictured above volunteered at the UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital in Oakland.

For more, check out the entire entry at Silver and Black Pride.

Philadelphia Eagles: Chris Long is helping fund scholarships in Charlottesville

Philadelphia Eagles defensive end Chris Long is donating his first six game checks of the 2017 NFL season to fund scholarships in his hometown of Charlottesville, Virginia.

Long is partnering with the Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Virginia and St. Anne’s Belfield School to provide two seven-year scholarships to Virginia middle school students.

For more, check out the entire entry at Bleeding Green Nation.

Pittsburgh Steelers: Alejandro Villanueva will donate money from jersey sales to USO

Villanueva is donating all money from his jersey sales to the USO and other military non-profit organizations, something he has reportedly always done. However, with his new-found popularity, Villanueva’s donation might be much larger than it normally is.

For more, check out the entire entry at Behind the Steel Curtain.

San Francisco 49ers: Pierre Garçon continues to raise funds for Haiti relief

Garçon is of Haitian descent, and he has used his platform to help Haiti in its continued efforts to rebuild after the 2010 earthquake. It’s been seven years, but the country still has a lot of work to do. Garçon has used his foundation to, “bring enduring education, health and community programs to the people of Haiti; to provide long-term sustainable initiatives that will continue to positively influence the lives of Haitians.”

For more, check out the entire entry at Niners Nation.

Seattle Seahawks: Tyler Lockett wants to help kids enjoy their childhood

Lockett made an appearance at White Center Heights Elementary in Seattle, unveiling a new playground for their Head Start program, thanks to a $15,000 grant from UnitedHealthcare to Lockett’s Dreambuilders Foundation. Dreambuilders is described as: “a nonprofit organization that works with pro athletes across the country to help financially, physically and mentally-challenged kids receive the items, opportunities and equipment they need to reach their dreams.”

For more, check out the entire entry at Field Gulls.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Bucs lend a hand with hurricane relief

One of those Bucs is Jameis Winston, who’s always done a lot of community work, and he helped distribute food and donated gift cards to over 400 families affected by the hurricane. Each family received a whopping 35 pounds of food as part of the Food for Florida Disaster Food Assistance Program.

For more, check out the entire entry at Bucs Nation.

Tennessee Titans: Players support National Baby Safety Month

Several Titans players took time earlier this week to visit St. Thomas Rutherford Hospital to promote safe sleep with infants.

“Here at Saint Thomas Rutherford Hospital, infant safety is our top focus,” said Angelique Dooley, RNC, nurse manager. “We make it a priority to educate new moms and dads from the time they arrive at the hospital until they are discharged home, including a birthday party in which we actively discuss safe sleep practices, as well as other safety concerns. We are so excited to partner with the Tennessee Titans to bring awareness to our community on safe sleep practices.”

For more, check out the entire entry at Music City Miracles.

Washington: Vernon Davis is involved in numerous ways to help his hometown of D.C.

Vernon’s Closet, a recent event designed to raise awareness and support for the homeless, provided an opportunity for the player to talk a little bit about his sometimes turbulent upbringing and his goals for his city.

“It is my desire to use Vernon’s Closet as a way to raise more awareness to homelessness; especially among D.C. area youth and hopefully encourage others to get involved as well,” Davis said.

For more, check out the entire entry at Hogs Haven.

Next Up In NFL

COMMENTS

Wow

A story about all the good NFL players are doing…and zero comments.

I swear, the Matrix was right…lotta folks just prefer being outraged.

By Michael Strawn on 09.29.17 4:49pm

Great article! Way to focus on the positive.

By MikeZunino30HRS on 09.29.17 9:00pm

View All Comments

Back to top ↑

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

© 2018 Vox Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved

Makes them look dumb AF but I could care less one way or another. As long as those trained animals run around chasing a ball so I can make money betting on them, they can do/say whatever dumb shit they please. Free country.

How does it make people look who say confederate flag should be honered and the traitor who started the dealiest war in us history should have a statue even though at the time he said dont do it?

And most of all that lebron guy with all that money he should build a school or something and get scholarships and that magic johnson guy he should build bussineses in black communities like a movie theater or something

never said nobody did anything

but let's take the bucks salaries, that's $100 million/year... if only 10% of that was given to local inner cities, imagine the impact, that could provide adequate food and housing to every single homeless and starving person in milwaukee

instead we're given lip service about people donating $50,000 or other such nonsense... when an athlete makes $20 million/year, the net cost of donating (after income taxes/estate taxes) is about 30%

so an athlete could give $10 million/year to charity and it would only cost him $3 million.  and 99% of them still don't do it

never said nobody did anything

but let's take the bucks salaries, that's $100 million/year... if only 10% of that was given to local inner cities, imagine the impact, that could provide adequate food and housing to every single homeless and starving person in milwaukee

instead we're given lip service about people donating $50,000 or other such nonsense... when an athlete makes $20 million/year, the net cost of donating (after income taxes/estate taxes) is about 30%

so an athlete could give $10 million/year to charity and it would only cost him $3 million. and 99% of them still don't do it

This is my point. They have the means and resources as people in the top 1% to actually make a difference and instead we get feel good stories about token donations. Yes, 50/100k is a big number but in comparison its nothing and isnt going to make a true difference.

Hated it when it first started. Then I came to realize it was a worthy cause. I believe they got their point across and now it's just overkill. Malcolm Jenkins said he wouldn't have put his fist in the air last night if Trump and Jerry Jones didn't make the comments they made. So now they're doing it out of spite which I think is just ridiculous. Jenkins does a lot for the community so I can't say anything really bad about him personally but a lot of these guys should really try and make a difference by showing up in the ghettos where they're killing each other on a daily basis and do whatever it is that needs to be done to prevent all these murders and violence.  Putting a fist in the air on a football field isn't accomplishing a God damn thing. 

It's all politics and race. White man enraged that the black man will not do as he is told.

can't speak for everyone, but i think a lot of people are more enraged that someone would bite the hand that feeds

how many other places in the world will 300 lb blacks (or whites) with below average intelligence and skills be paid millions of dollars to "work" a few hundred hours/year?

can't speak for everyone, but i think a lot of people are more enraged that someone would bite the hand that feeds

how many other places in the world will 300 lb blacks (or whites) with below average intelligence and skills be paid millions of dollars to "work" a few hundred hours/year?

That's what I said. Whites can't control these blacks. It is a race battle. Black man will not back down.