Asking For A Friend...

Dr. Paddy

So, something I'm not clear on. It has to do with this hiding behind an anonymous name, and forums, including this one, protecting that anonymity in all cases.

It's obvious why in many cases. These forums began as one of the cogs in the illegal online gaming system. So yeah, anonymity for posters who would have something to fear from the law if they posted nuts hanging out, to use a term recently made popular by Gabe. And not wanting employers to know they were in the gambling life, or family, or for other good reasons.

But let me put this out there. Good reasons for anonymity only apply to good people. There is no compelling reason why this forum, or any other, should not lift the veil of anonymity where a poster has simply gone bad beyond redemption. Stiffs. Con men. Isn't the "watchdog" role of forums to out this class of Person who inserts genitals into their mouth , and make them go into hiding and stay away from decent people?

It used to be that books could be named and outed by posters, or falsely accused and outed, by liars. With few exceptions, that was always done anonymously. It's obvious why. But posters themselves who were stiffs or conmen, have always had anonymity when exposure was the best means of protecting the forum community and the broader community.

Let me go to the obvious examples: Javy and Patrick McIrish.

What is the rational basis for a forum not only lifting anonymity for known stiffs, but actively being involved in hunting out who they really are? What interest does a forum have in protecting this type of riffraff. The broad community wants to know who the child molestors are among them. It doesn't allow them to have nicknames. The gambling community, which relies on honor to a great extent, is acting perversely when it protects the equivalent of child molestors and bare faced liars among itself.

I grant you that McIrish is different than Javy because there is a case that he was a slow pay, but lying his face off all the while he slow paid. And, unless someone PMs me, we don't know his name yet. But Javy we do. We know exactly who he is, we know he somehow slipped through the filters of bar association accreditation, and we know he is a stiff and a despicable liar. I'm sure there are decent people here, and I think decent people would all say that it is appalling that Javy is an officer of the Illinois courts, and that the public is not aware that he is the type of loathsome individual his posts reveal.

Why would posts on here revealing who he is, and posting his picture, be deleted? Why would anyone be banned from here for outing this guy? It's not like there is any doubt of who he is and what he has done. It's not like it would be an injustice to do so.

I'm going to put up a poll to see what people think. I'm restarting OGD, and I want to make the forum different. I want good people, knowledgeable people, interesting people, and I fully understand that they want to be anonymous and I have no problem iwth that. But I want to differentiate the new OGD by making a place where the mask comes off when you act against the ethical standards of the industry and should be shunned by it.

I'd like to hear from the mods for sure.

Okay, poll option is gone.

It is every forum's policy that placing bets with people online is not something they care to be a part of and you proceed at your own risk.

No forum that reveals a person's identity can be taken seriously.

You haven't explained why there shouldn't be an exception for stiffs and con men.

I mean, I reveal my identity, Ken did, Peep did, Ken's son in law Tony did, Russ did, in fact, hundreds of people are known in their real names on the forums. 

I just read your first line again. That's just way out. The entire purpose of forums is placing bets and talking about it. You would proceed at much risk if there was a warning system about bad actors within the forum. I think a forum which did that would be taken quite seriously. 

Proceed at your own risk? What kind of community is that? 

You haven't explained why there shouldn't be an exception for stiffs and con men.

I mean, I reveal my identity, Ken did, Peep did, Ken's son in law Tony did, Russ did, in fact, hundreds of people are known in their real names on the forums. 

I just read your first line again. That's just way out. The entire purpose of forums is placing bets and talking about it. You would proceed at much risk if there was a warning system about bad actors within the forum. I think a forum which did that would be taken quite seriously. 

Proceed at your own risk? What kind of community is that?

No, a forum is a business. The posters are the content.

If you deal with gamblers, you are going to get stiffed.

There are cases on this forum that have gone to extreme degrees. If a person's identity is known, they could wind with PR on the door step.

When I first started reading the forums, the worst thing to be was a stiff, followed by a tout, followed by a past poster. I'm in the minority thinking that past posters are just as bad to a forum's reputation as the previous two, but it'd be refreshing to find a forum without all three.

Thanks. That's what I don't understand, why any forum would offer anonymity to that type of trash. Other than touts. I'm thinking that there are touts that posters like to know about and have them in the posting body. That was always a big thing at Peeps and I think EOG when very knowledgeable bettors came, posted picks, and then left when they were attacked by Teddy and Javy types. Pancho and Buffet Gambler were examples. 

No, a forum is a business. The posters are the content.

If you deal with gamblers, you are going to get stiffed.

There are cases on this forum that have gone to extreme degrees. If a person's identity is known, they could wind with PR on the door step.

That wouldn't be something I would worry about. In fact, my identity is known. 

Okay, I get it that you were being sarcastic about PR on the doorstep. I realize you meant as a beggar, not a hard man.

That wouldn't be something I would worry about. In fact, my identity is known.

If they give out a stiff's info, you cannot really expect them to not give out other info. Forums are not necessarily run by the highest standard of people.

Is there even a forum that allows gambling between posters other than this one?

If someone stiffs someone, I don't think they really deserve to be pursued across the internet and called on a job. That's gambling.

If they give out a stiff's info, you cannot really expect them to not give out other info. Forums are not necessarily run by the highest standard of people.

Is there even a forum that allows gambling between posters other than this one?

If someone stiffs someone, I don't think they really deserve to be pursued across the internet and called on a job. That's gambling.

Well, if those are the rules, and they are posted out front, and the forum knows who you really are, you will be outed just like a child molestor is in the boar community. You won't get many stiffs coming to your forum. Now, the issue is, a forum doesn't know who any poster is, normally. We just happen to know who Javy is, but there is not going to be that info normally. 

People are running sheets at every forum. 

I agree that if someone stiffs, and is trying to pay back, fucking up his job is counterproductive. But not in every case, especially where the stiff has attacked others who call him on being a stiff. 

So, ok. A stiff is booted from the forum if nobody knows who he is. Maybe leave it up to the victim if he or she wants the cockroach outed. Most victims know the real names of their stiffs.

Well, if those are the rules, and they are posted out front, and the forum knows who you really are, you will be outed just like a child molestor is in the boar community. You won't get many stiffs coming to your forum. Now, the issue is, a forum doesn't know who any poster is, normally. We just happen to know who Javy is, but there is not going to be that info normally. 

People are running sheets at every forum. 

I agree that if someone stiffs, and is trying to pay back, fucking up his job is counterproductive. But not in every case, especially where the stiff has attacked others who call him on being a stiff. 

So, ok. A stiff is booted from the forum if nobody knows who he is. Maybe leave it up to the victim if he or she wants the cockroach outed. Most victims know the real names of their stiffs.

It is all part of the gamble. Nobody makes a bet without knowing a stiff is a possibility/ Gamblers are basically the lowest form of life. You take your chances.

Real names without permission should be entirely off limits.   Not to protect scamming scum, but to protect innocent family members of scamming scum, who can be harmed by psychopaths who know the scamming scum's real name.   Sadly, there are alot of very, very sick people out there who take things entirely too far.  

So, something I'm not clear on. It has to do with this hiding behind an anonymous name, and forums, including this one, protecting that anonymity in all cases.

It's obvious why in many cases. These forums began as one of the cogs in the illegal online gaming system. So yeah, anonymity for posters who would have something to fear from the law if they posted nuts hanging out, to use a term recently made popular by Gabe. And not wanting employers to know they were in the gambling life, or family, or for other good reasons.

But let me put this out there. Good reasons for anonymity only apply to good people. There is no compelling reason why this forum, or any other, should not lift the veil of anonymity where a poster has simply gone bad beyond redemption. Stiffs. Con men. Isn't the "watchdog" role of forums to out this class of Person who inserts genitals into their mouth , and make them go into hiding and stay away from decent people?

It used to be that books could be named and outed by posters, or falsely accused and outed, by liars. With few exceptions, that was always done anonymously. It's obvious why. But posters themselves who were stiffs or conmen, have always had anonymity when exposure was the best means of protecting the forum community and the broader community.

Let me go to the obvious examples: Javy and Patrick McIrish.

What is the rational basis for a forum not only lifting anonymity for known stiffs, but actively being involved in hunting out who they really are? What interest does a forum have in protecting this type of riffraff. The broad community wants to know who the child molestors are among them. It doesn't allow them to have nicknames. The gambling community, which relies on honor to a great extent, is acting perversely when it protects the equivalent of child molestors and bare faced liars among itself.

I grant you that McIrish is different than Javy because there is a case that he was a slow pay, but lying his face off all the while he slow paid. And, unless someone PMs me, we don't know his name yet. But Javy we do. We know exactly who he is, we know he somehow slipped through the filters of bar association accreditation, and we know he is a stiff and a despicable liar. I'm sure there are decent people here, and I think decent people would all say that it is appalling that Javy is an officer of the Illinois courts, and that the public is not aware that he is the type of loathsome individual his posts reveal.

Why would posts on here revealing who he is, and posting his picture, be deleted? Why would anyone be banned from here for outing this guy? It's not like there is any doubt of who he is and what he has done. It's not like it would be an injustice to do so.

I'm going to put up a poll to see what people think. I'm restarting OGD, and I want to make the forum different. I want good people, knowledgeable people, interesting people, and I fully understand that they want to be anonymous and I have no problem iwth that. But I want to differentiate the new OGD by making a place where the mask comes off when you act against the ethical standards of the industry and should be shunned by it.

I'd like to hear from the mods for sure.

Okay, poll option is gone.

If you think it's any of your business to reveal the identity of someone else who wishes to post anonymously, you really think much too much of yourself.

You really take this stuff personally.  To a stalker-like level.

If you think it's any of your business to reveal the identity of someone else who wishes to post anonymously, you really think much too much of yourself.

You really take this stuff personally.  To a stalker-like level.

I think some of this has gone over your head, Monkey. You converted a con man and stiff into "...someone who wishes to post anonymously". It's your way of blending the good and the bad and preserving your own anonymity against a day when somebody may be coming down your chimney for good cause.

One thing you mentioned Paddy is that many posters names are known. I’m guessing the majority work in the gambling business and want it out there. I would be pissed if someone posts my name on a board.

Not very many people who are on these boards are known to others, or at least not on any broad scale. I think I may have lost the picture a bit by focusing on the special case of Javy, what he has done to Timely and others, and what some want to do to him, which is effectively to render him unemployable in the legal profession. I'm not into that, he's just another little See you next Tuesday in Forumville, but others may. In fact, I'm sure others will.

So when OGD gets going, it won't be naming people. I'm persuaded of the wisdom of that by some of the posts in reply, particularly the ones which point out that stiffs can face serious physical violence if they are known. I don't want to be involved anywhere in that causal chain. 

But it won't allow stiffs to be posters. It won't allow any reference to family members at all. None. If you lie about another poster, you are gone. If you are challenged for the truth, you better produce the post, or you're gone.

Historically, these forums have had either gambling or politics or both as their main subject of gibbering. I want to go a bit upscale in terms of the intelligence and manners of the posters, and to provide a place where there is a system of inter poster betting facilitated by the forum, and with protection against stiffs provided. It will be by invitation for the first 300, then by application. 

Not very many people who are on these boards are known to others, or at least not on any broad scale. I think I may have lost the picture a bit by focusing on the special case of Javy, what he has done to Timely and others, and what some want to do to him, which is effectively to render him unemployable in the legal profession. I'm not into that, he's just another little See you next Tuesday in Forumville, but others may. In fact, I'm sure others will.

So when OGD gets going, it won't be naming people. I'm persuaded of the wisdom of that by some of the posts in reply, particularly the ones which point out that stiffs can face serious physical violence if they are known. I don't want to be involved anywhere in that causal chain. 

But it won't allow stiffs to be posters. It won't allow any reference to family members at all. None. If you lie about another poster, you are gone. If you are challenged for the truth, you better produce the post, or you're gone.

Historically, these forums have had either gambling or politics or both as their main subject of gibbering. I want to go a bit upscale in terms of the intelligence and manners of the posters, and to provide a place where there is a system of inter poster betting facilitated by the forum, and with protection against stiffs provided. It will be by invitation for the first 300, then by application.

Sounds interesting, my kind of forum.