do prisoners really make .35/hour?

KingKolzig

i dont want to pull a wade here and talk about how hard my job is but i do about the same work as a prison inmate and .35/hour is the worst thing ive ever heard of. imagine being innocent or never hurting anyone and being in prison then you bust your fucking balls for $15/week

amazing world we live in

Spokane liberal politicians are offering 5K to convicts to relocate to their city for those are getting release from medium security prisons. :doh

so if you make 1 mistake in your life you are all done then?

what about those born with fetal alcohol syndrome put into foster care?

conservatives suck. im starting to see that 

I think I've heard some make less than that, of course they cant make you work now, can they?

No, they can't actually force anyone to work.  But, they can and do punish you by taking away good time and any other privileges you might have had coming for refusing to do the work. 

It's kinda like how the liberals view "free speech" nowadays.  Just as you can say anything you like, but must pay the consequences for any speech they disagree with - they can't MAKE you do any work, but can make you do more time and harder time for refusing.

No, they can't actually force anyone to work.  But, they can and do punish you by taking away good time and any other privileges you might have had coming for refusing to do the work. 

It's kinda like how the liberals view "free speech" nowadays.  Just as you can say anything you like, but must pay the consequences for any speech they disagree with - they can't MAKE you do any work, but can make you do more time and harder time for refusing.

By the way, the flip side of the ridiculous low wages is that prisoners are forced to buy stuff in prison stores that charge far higher prices than normal, at least that's what I've read.

Best friend growing up is doing time in Texas. We talk once a month or so. He works 4 days a week at .60 cents a hour and you guys assuming it was much like slavery are correct. He doesn't have any financial support (folks are in their 80s, no wife or girlfriend etc) and unless you want to eat really terribly you have to get a job. I put $50 on his books along with another friend in canon city once a year for Christmas.

I didn't realize the markup on commissary until last year. Its ludicrous. Friend in Texas talk ten to 15 minuted and he told me a bag of chips just a regular bag is 2.60 where he is at. One can of soda (generic big k or something) is 1.35 and ramen pack is 1.15 or something. He said he will gladly work whatever hours he can not to eat the spaggheti mix and ground beef sloppy joes on certain nights.

Neither guy has asked me for a penny but I didnt know about the prices until we were joking about it a couple months ago. Im doubling my donation this year.

Both people that I know that are incarcerated were guilty and had terrible drug problems but are still solid humans just made some extremely poor life choices. I visited my friend in canon city two years ago and have never felt the kind of despair I saw in the visiting room it will really make you question a lot and humble you.

Best friend growing up is doing time in Texas. We talk once a month or so. He works 4 days a week at .60 cents a hour and you guys assuming it was much like slavery are correct. He doesn't have any financial support (folks are in their 80s, no wife or girlfriend etc) and unless you want to eat really terribly you have to get a job. I put $50 on his books along with another friend in canon city once a year for Christmas.

I didn't realize the markup on commissary until last year. Its ludicrous. Friend in Texas talk ten to 15 minuted and he told me a bag of chips just a regular bag is 2.60 where he is at. One can of soda (generic big k or something) is 1.35 and ramen pack is 1.15 or something. He said he will gladly work whatever hours he can not to eat the spaggheti mix and ground beef sloppy joes on certain nights.

Neither guy has asked me for a penny but I didnt know about the prices until we were joking about it a couple months ago. Im doubling my donation this year.

Both people that I know that are incarcerated were guilty and had terrible drug problems but are still solid humans just made some extremely poor life choices. I visited my friend in canon city two years ago and have never felt the kind of despair I saw in the visiting room it will really make you question a lot and humble you.

You do not want to be in prison in Texas. We do it right. For profit all the way.

I made .$13 in 87-89. That or career training/no yard time. 

Did one year labor and almost two CTI, learned to be a baker cuz they smuggle shit in through dock and pantry.

Robert Cotton facility Jackson State

Sounds like you were grossly overpaid for your worth.

Anyway, with the economy now growing at 5%, perhaps even prison wages will improve? These are the best of times!